Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic on Sale??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic on Sale???

Veej

Just running low in stock for T6, anyone know if this was on sale in the last few weeks at Crappy Tire or TSC. Just want to know if I missed any recent sale if not I'll wait and look out for the next few weeks.

comes up on sale every 3-4 months..... but take advantage of the 2018 shell $35 rebate while u can...

Small bottles of T4 are on sale at TSC right now... IMO T4 > T6 but you didn't ask for my opinion

Small bottles of T4 are on sale at TSC right now... IMO T4 > T6 but you didn't ask for my opinion

I also used T4 in my bike last year when it was on sale, but thought T6 would be better as it's fully synthetic, and I only change the oil once a year and put on around 10-15 k a year.

What's your take on T4?

"Full synthetic" is marketing doublespeak. It does not mean what you would expect it to mean, which is that it contains only synthesized base oil. Instead it can included refined mineral oil with performance that at one time was only achievable with actual synthetic oil. Some stupid lawsuit involving Castrol vs Mobil resulted in the industry being allowed to get away with this.

So, that said, Shell is definitely leveraging the marketing definition of full synthetic here. A point to note - Shell likes to list every specification that their oil can meet on the bottle, especially if it doesn't cost them much to do it. T6 does not list any specs above and beyond what T4 meets. They are almost certainly made from the same base stocks, the only thing that is "synthetic" about T6 is that it is able to perform as a 5W40 multigrade. AFAIK, that is it.

From what used oil analysis I have seen, and probably due to T6 requiring more viscosity modifiers than T4 does, T6 is less shear stable than T4. What that means is as they both accumulate running time (i.e. you put more kilometres on an oil change), T6 stops performing like it's supposed to (i.e. "in grade") before T4 does at the same operating temperature.

Part of me wants to do a 1:1 comparison using used oil analysis to conclusively prove this and for internet points, but TBH right now it would take me a long *** time to even go through two oil changes. Yes, mistakes have been made

comes up on sale every 3-4 months..... but take advantage of the 2018 shell $35 rebate while u can...

Ya thanks didn't know this rebate was on this year again, 2 years ago I picked up 4 5 ltr jugs at crappy tire on sale and also got the rebate, the oil cost my around $20 for each 5 ltr jug after the sale and rebate.

Right now at CT the 18.9 ltr pale is on sale for $133.87 after the Shell rebate it costs you $98.87 thats $5.23 per litre for synthetic oil compared to Motul or other motorcycle oils which are $12 and over per litre.

At TSC the T4 946 ml (54 ml short of a litre) is $3.99 but no rebate from Shell on T4 oils.

The better buy is always T4 as it's cheaper since it's not synthetic. Not sure which way to go T6 or T4?????

Last edited:
∆ gonna have to read up on that
only reason I buy T6 is because I believed it would be more shear stable
and require less of a polymer package
thanks for the info

∆ gonna have to read up on that
only reason I buy T6 is because I believed it would be more shear stable
and require less of a polymer package
thanks for the info

Just finished reading reviews on the T6 on Shell's website and people have rave reviews on it especially those with big bikes and those who are pulling trailers with their bikes swear by it. I think I'm gonna stick to the T6, probably pick up the 18 ltr pail this week-end as I have 2 Honda's now to change, will last me a few years for sure :)

Last edited:
well seeing as we're going down the rabbit hole in an oil thread
no point in half measures :)

I've had great luck with T6 with 3 bikes, > 10 years
reason I like synth is that the base oil is supposed to be immune to shear down over time
requires less of an elaborate polymer package, and this is supposed to be why it's more stable

dino multigrade starts off fine, but requires an elaborate polymer package
over time the polymers shear down, and towards the end of the oil's life
is no longer capable of being the 40 part of the 10/40

I also preferred T6 as I think the 15 cold weight of T4 15/40 is too heavy for cold starts in the spring and fall
the 5/40 of T6 is better for cold starts when the temp is < 10 C

but if T6 is in fact not actually synth, and is prone to suffer shear down
and perhaps not able to be at 40 near it's end
my entire oil theory is blown out of the water

this is very disturbing news :(

One thing I have discovered about motorcycle oil over the years is that every rider has his or her own opinion.
Synthetic vs dino, high viscosity vs. low.
You have let the genie out of the bottle.

well seeing as we're going down the rabbit hole in an oil thread
no point in half measures :)

but if T6 is in fact not actually synth, and is prone to suffer shear down
and perhaps not able to be at 40 near it's end
my entire oil theory is blown out of the water

this is very disturbing news :(

Shell states it's fully synthetic... I'm gonna get the 18 litre pail this week-end, the price with current sale and rebate only makes the oil a buck and change costlier than T4. The 18 litre should be good for more than a few years as I only change oil once a year on both bikes.

Picked up the 18.9 L bucket of T6 this Sunday, for $133.87 after tax comes to $151.27 after submitting for the Shell $35 rebate total will come to $116.27 so $6.16 per litre after tax. Still not bad for full synthetic oil, especially motorcycle oil with is around $10-13 per litre.

Back
Top Bottom