Portable Air Compressors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Portable Air Compressors

looks like a good choice. Probably best to run the bike as you inflate.....revving it up to 2k RPM off and on to keep the charge going.....not sure how much juice is in the bike batt to run the compressor for long.

That said...I've crossed the continent a few times, without a compressor or puncture kit.

I carry one similar to that on long trips, works fine
but if the tire is un-beeded it does not have the volume to re-set

not sure about the CO2 canisters, they pack a bigger oomph
so maybe have a better chance to get the tire re-beeded

advantage of the AC of course is that it is never empty

I have been using this exact Stop & Go compressor for a few months, works well. Absolutely no complaints as of yet. I use a pen gauge to check the pressure after I fill, cause you will lose some air when you unscrew it from the valve

I wouldn't bother with a compressor on the bike. I find a small bike pump or C02 inflator works fine for the occasional time I need it.

I have had good luck with a crappy tire compressor similar to this one. It costs more than the old blue ones, but pumps at least twice as fast.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-12v-direct-drive-inflator-3-minute-0095067p.html

I have no opinion on the one you linked to.
Agreed for road use where likelihood of usage is low I prefer the CO2 cartridges with the little valve over a pump. However if he's heading out to do some off roading regularly and wanting to air down for off road and back up when heading back on road an actual pump has its benefits.

I've carried a pump + a repair kit for years, never had to use it. The one time I found a screw in my rear tire the bike was on its center stand in the garage and I was doing a pre-ride go over. Nevertheless I still recommend you have one.

Once you decide on the model test it to make sure it works properly and connects properly to your valve. I know someone who bought one, never tested it and carried it around for years. It crapped out after running about 10 seconds and left him by the side of the road.

Take into consideration the power draw on these things. I have a small one (similar to what you posted) which was fine for a power source fused to 7.5A. I blew the fuse using a compressor similar to what Greyghost posted which I keep in my car.

Thanks folks. I've been lucky and not had a motorcycle flat in all my miles either but a friends recent flat while we were in North Carolina recently was enough for me to be better prepared.

aK6OjZv.jpg

Note the crack in the compressor gear. It was a cheapie one and when I needed it it was useless.

Now I run one similar to GreyGhost. Pumps fast but as mentioned test the circuit first as it draws more power and may blow fuses.

I may switch to a bicycle pump for as often as I need it.

Back
Top Bottom