Where to buy MP3's? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy MP3's?

beverage

I'm looking for a legal site to purchase MP3's. I want to be able to purchase the MP3's and place them on my NAS so I can stream them to any device in my home, and occasionally move them to a device to take with me when out for a ride. I'm not interested in subscription / streaming services. I want to buy, own, and do with the music what I want.

Buy the CD and rip the music seems to be about the only way to do that now, but wondering if anyone knows of some legitimate sites that permit that flexibility?

I'm looking for a legal site to purchase MP3's. I want to be able to purchase the MP3's and place them on my NAS so I can stream them to any device in my home, and occasionally move them to a device to take with me when out for a ride. I'm not interested in subscription / streaming services. I want to buy, own, and do with the music what I want.

Buy the CD and rip the music seems to be about the only way to do that now, but wondering if anyone knows of some legitimate sites that permit that flexibility?
I believe iTunes sells individual tracks as well as albums.

I believe iTunes sells individual tracks as well as albums.

You can buy individual songs or full albums put they do have some DRM on them I believe, they are not MP3's. I wanted to dump some of my music purchases from iTunes on my Nav to listen to music while I ride but anything bought from iTunes is not read on the Nav. Anything I ripped myself from CD's or downloaded in a piraty sort of way plays fine. Not sure there is any only seller of music who uses MP3's, you will probably have to find an app to convert any music purchased to get it to the format you want.

That being said if you do use Mac's they can see each other in iTunes and you can share your music that way directly from iTunes, all machines have to have iTunes running and there would be no need for a NAS.

Google Play store

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Google Play store does not allow you to copy or move the music off your device, at least not that I can find. My wife has basically filled her phone with music downloaded from the Google Play store, and I haven't figured out how to offload it to my NAS. It used to be possible, but apparently not anymore. Amazon music is the same as far as I can tell.

I already have the NAS, with scheduled backups and parity checks and tons of drive space, that I'd like to continue to use. And the various media devices throughout the home have no trouble reaching it and using the content. I'd prefer to stick with that format.

According to the info on Play, you should be able to do. "Should" and "Can" are sometimes different though
5804f5e49023f7a0ddfa14a52e6d0380.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I have my music library on a NAS as well
streams to anything through Samba and and I have a DLNA server running on it as well
fantastic solution for large audio and video libraries
my NAS can also run an itunes server, but don't use it, no i-stuff

guess I don't have the same inhibitions of where I get the files from though :)

I also get the issue with streaming services, the quality is terrible
and sometimes you don't have internet so local storage is a necessity

I think you're going to have to use a few different sources to build a large, legal MP3 collection
only non-streaming services with very large libraries I know of are apple and google, but they don't work for you
one is hardware specific and both are DRM protected which is a PITA when networking

Probably won’t help but I buy a lot of vinyl and quite a bit of it comes with coupons for digital copies of the music. As for streaming quality something like Sirius is awful but with Spotify you can turn up the stream quality to max and it’s just fine. Chews up more data that way though which is why at default it’s set lower.

Spotify premium has an offline feature. Store directly to your device for offline listening.
Probably won’t help but I buy a lot of vinyl and quite a bit of it comes with coupons for digital copies of the music. As for streaming quality something like Sirius is awful but with Spotify you can turn up the stream quality to max and it’s just fine. Chews up more data that way though which is why at default it’s set lower.

The files you get from iTunes are MPEG4 AAC (.m4a) and they are generally not DRM encumbered (there used to be exceptions but I'm not sure if that still happens). Most devices that can play MP3s can play M4As without difficulty unless they're like a decade old. I have music that I bought from iTunes on other devices that was loaded just by copying the files over and didn't require any magic or modification to play.

is it possible to get the Spotify files off the phone?

Dont think so. They play off the app and for offline use they revert to online only after a period of time. It’s a great service though. They keep filling some holes in their collection but I still find the odd artist/songs missing.

Back
Top Bottom