Just got my M1: gear advice please | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just got my M1: gear advice please

dadbsbod

Hi all!
Had a limited speed for years but just got my M1 and going to book an MTO course, get M2 and bike.
Whats a recommended store to get kitted out for everything, ie helmet, jacket, gloves and boots?
I will be in the ATGATT camp and realize my head is worth a lot so I am prepared to spend. However I don't need sports brands etc: just very high quality.
Also, is leather or synthetic best for getting a riding jacket/gloves etc? Again, prioritizing safety.

I am planning on getting a naked street bike (although also considering a cruiser).

Thank you all!

You can hunt around on fortnine or revzilla to get a decent look at overall gear options and styles. Maybe hit GP Bikes to try stuff on.

If you aren't sure exactly what style of gear you`re looking to rock you can hit Re-Gear in Oshawa, they have an okay assortment pretty marked down and some used stuff.

If you're all decided then GP Bikes or Fortnine can probably get you everything you`re looking for.

Leather for protection but it will weigh the most and be the least comfortable in the current heat we're having. You could start with a mesh/textile combo that will give you decent protection but also provide some much needed ventilation.

Great! You're going to love it!

ATGATT is the best way. My wife took a dive last month because of a poor road construction hazard that they are paying out. She's been riding 10 years and is all safety. ATGATT saved her big time.

Helmets - DOT and SNELL logos, make sure they have them. That's the testing side making most things equal. Some features that are nice are built in sun visor and modular flip up helmets are nice. I have a speed and strength that has both and it is great for the price. These features make them heavier but I don't notice much. Color is important. I used to wear black helmets until I commuted in the summer in stop and go traffic. It soaks in the heat and you can get heat stroke (dizzy, confused). I have a white and a dark depending on the outside temp and what I'm doing.

Jackets - I've had all types. I always wear leather now. I have a white and black Icon and love it. Its very visible which is important and has the armor inside, also a must have. I have a mesh for those +30 days and it has armor but if I'm city riding, I may just take the car. The mesh is great, it actually cools you off as you ride. When my wife went down, (30km/hr)her textile got a hole in it and her jeans were done as well. When I took a header OVER a pickup truck when I was 25 doing 100 km/hr (long story, his fault) the leather saved me big time. No holes.

Gloves - Get them and wear them!

I would start on a street/sport bike. Better handling, braking and height for seeing whats around you. Better posture and if you have to dump, easier to get off of. KTM390 is a sweet starter bike!

+1 for GP bikes. Their prices are great! If ordering online, use code "2018CAT1" to get additional 10% off

Leather jacket won't work in summer. Best to get leather for cooler rides and textile/mesh for summer.

Checkout the alpinestars viper air jacket for summer rides.

Bell star 2016 was going for half price beginning of the season at GP bikes, and Royal Distributing. Great helmet, very light. Sound proofing isn't great, but nothing that ear plugs can't solve. Cuts through wind like a sharp knife

Last edited:
Helmet price and performance are not necessarily correlated (and in fact some "premium" brands *cough Arai cough* have failed performance testing in the past that helmets at 10% of the price passed). As price goes up, they look better, are lighter and generally quieter. Personally I normally buy the cheapest Snell rated helmets and wear earplugs. I'm not sure I agree with the Snell testing methodology, but having a helmet that conforms with a more demanding test than just DOT makes me happy.

If you buy textile gear, assume that the armor will rotate out of the way in a crash and you will get some skin damage (less than if you were unprotected, but much more than leather). Ideally someone would sell primarily textile with leather completely around each joint, but I haven't seen it. That would give you comfort, affordability and protection in one package.

Wear leather gauntlet gloves over your jacket. Shorties leave a vulnerable part of your wrist exposed and allow the edge of the jacket to catch and ride up exposing your arm.

Personally I wear tall boots with great ankle protection after being on crutches for months after a crash. Unfortunately they cost almost as much as the rest of the gear combined. My personal test for boots is asking if I would be comfortable to have someone jump on my ankle while laying on the ground (simulating the bike falling on your leg). My current boots pass this test with flying colours. Almost every work boot or short boot fails miserably in protecting your ankle.

EDIT:
Visibility is very important, any time you can choose bright over dark you are increasing your odds of survival. I find bright yellow helmets make bikes much easier to pick out in heavy traffic.

Last edited:
There are a few places but may not carry what you're looking for, i believe GP bikes is generally regarded as having the best showroom selection.

If i were you i'd hunt on fortnine/revzilla to narrow down brand/models you`re interested in. Then reference those with the toronto area shops to see if they have it in store to try on. Bit of leg work but you'll get what you want this way.

I believe GP Bikes has a helmet sale starting today until the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP in the East end. Pro 6 or riders choice in the west.

Gear is simple.
Buy what fits you best, and buy the best you can afford.

...and remember that gear only works when you wear it!

GP in the East end. Pro 6 or riders choice in the west.

Gear is simple.
Buy what fits you best, and buy the best you can afford.

...and remember that gear only works when you wear it!

You have to try them for the best fit.

Just to share my own experience. I’m one of the unfortunate with a round head, only 2 models available in NA fit me. One is super expensive and one is on sale for 1/6 of the cost at a local dealership, both are Dot and Snell rated. Same thing for other gears, like gloves and boots. Strongly suggest to hit GP for style and size as they have the best showroom selections, then you can compare prices to decide to purchase local or on-line.

You will only wear them when they fit!!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Any places closer to downtown Toronto that come recommended? Don't want to buy online, and Whitby is a bit far for me.
In the city, Town Moto and Studio Cycle are your best bets. They don't have the kind of selection you'll find at the suburban shops, though. Good thing is their websites will give you enough info to judge if it's worth dropping in to look for gear.

best helmet you can afford, DOT rated at a minimum is the law in Ontario

Snell is geared for racing, tend to have higher density foam for higher speed impacts
some info out there that in certain low speed street crashes, the hard foam may be a problem

one knock against Snell is they will not rate a helmet with a drop down sun visor regardless of how well it may do in a crash
this rules Snell helmets out for me, I'm a big fan of the sun visor

ECE helmet rating - Europe - is more comprehensive than DOT, and will rate a sun visor equipped helmet
DOT and ECE together are plenty protection for street riding, although some here will no doubt disagree

as for the rest of the gear, think about what sort of riding you may get involved it
if touring may be in the cards down the road, perhaps consider gear that is also water proof

there are jackets and pants that are good for local communing and pleasure riding
but also offer good element protection on long, nasty days

gloves: will take a few tries to get this right, it's very personal
luckily they are affordable and you'll end up with a few pairs over time

boots: don't necessarily have to be bike specific boots
sound construction that have ankle protection and not too bulky are fine
waterproof are also available, but silicone spray or dubbin work fine too

same with a textile jacket/pants, you can significantly improve their water resistance with a silicone spray

gear will depend almost solely on your budget

the bigger the budget the better the gear - for the most part

shop around, look for the deals and sales, trying everything before you buy it

you will be surprised on how much just gear alone will run you, so be prepared and have the budget for the stuff you want.

$1500 can get you all the gear you need, or it can get you just a helmet

I am glad your at least looking at getting full gear, and using it.....

Any places closer to downtown Toronto that come recommended? Don't want to buy online, and Whitby is a bit far for me.

Trust me....it is worth your time.....Royal Distributing is right beside it and you'll be able to try on tons. Most other places have WAY less stock.
Wanna choose from 6-7 jackets or 40-50 jackets? 8 helmets or 80? Get your butt out there.

$129 for riding shoes that cover the ankle,
$150 for a helmet with Snell if you can (Bell Star at GP right now on sale)
$70 will buy some nice gloves at Royal.
And get an Icon jacket for like $200 and you are set.
You can snag some jeans for around $150 but they are more than the average rider wears for the course.

Again...a trip to GP bikes is worth your time. It's like the toys R us of bike shops....having said that you'll be ruined for most other shops after that.
Oh and they have a catalogue right at the front that has coupons you can use for 10% off regular priced stuff.

Good luck and have fun. And there's nothing wrong with buying stuff because you like the look of it.
If you buy **** you don't like now to save $100 now you'll end up buying it twice (which is sometimes half the fun).
Forget I said that. Buy the cheap stuff and spend twice as much next year.

Helmet aside (buy new, no question) don’t forget that there is used gear out there as well. You can save a ton of money that way if you want to stretch or save the budget.

Like 800over stated. A trip to GPbike is worth it. They have a huge amount of gear, its sometimes overwhelming how much stuff they have. Any gear you buy has to to fit properly in order it to work and be comfortable when riding. Nothing worse then a jacket and helmet thats too big!
Also welcome to the forum

I ended up with an inexpensive Full face Snell helmet for $80 from GP bikes, a pair of $10 gloves from the bike show, an old jean jacket, my jeans and my old pair of combat boots.

That was all for the course.

Once I decided that I liked riding, I improved my gear to something more appropriate to highway riding.

Back
Top Bottom