I finally saw it happen, glad I didn't ride in this morning | GTAMotorcycle.com

I finally saw it happen, glad I didn't ride in this morning

arogal

Not sure how many of you take the 403E into Mississauga weekday mornings, but there seems to be a serious summer blitz going on. Yesterday morning there was a total of 5 people pulled over between Winston Churchill and Hurontario (insane!).
For the first time in 6 years of commuting to sauga on the 403 I saw a motorcyclist pulled over for using the HOV lane. Traffic was insane, and when I commute on my bike I do use the HOV lane sometimes if I see bikes rip past me while I'm sitting like a chump at a dead stop. I see cars EVERY single day pulled over for using it solo, but never have I see a bike until today. I guess we do indeed get pulled over for using HOV lane....I always thought cops just didn't seem to care until I saw this today.
Glad my wife and I drank a big bottle of wine last night, or I woulda taken the bike in today and that totally could have been me!
just a heads up for the people that think its ok....its not!

Good info but how do you know the officer had the motorcyclist pulled over for using the HOV lane?

Good info but how do you know the officer had the motorcyclist pulled over for using the HOV lane?
Saw the guy on the bike fly past me on HOV lane a couple minutes earlier, then I saw cherries light up in the HOV lane (I was in fast lane). When I was at a dead stop beside the rider, he was pulled over.

Saw the guy on the bike fly past me on HOV lane a couple minutes earlier, then I saw cherries light up in the HOV lane (I was in fast lane). When I was at a dead stop beside the rider, he was pulled over.

So he could have caught a speeding ticket.

Not sure how many of you take the 403E into Mississauga weekday mornings, but there seems to be a serious summer blitz going on. Yesterday morning there was a total of 5 people pulled over between Winston Churchill and Hurontario (insane!).
For the first time in 6 years of commuting to sauga on the 403 I saw a motorcyclist pulled over for using the HOV lane. Traffic was insane, and when I commute on my bike I do use the HOV lane sometimes if I see bikes rip past me while I'm sitting like a chump at a dead stop. I see cars EVERY single day pulled over for using it solo, but never have I see a bike until today. I guess we do indeed get pulled over for using HOV lane....I always thought cops just didn't seem to care until I saw this today.
Glad my wife and I drank a big bottle of wine last night, or I woulda taken the bike in today and that totally could have been me!
just a heads up for the people that think its ok....its not!

I mean, how could anyone think its okay? lol. Something that cops aren't enforcing, like 4 people piling into the intersection for left turns during a red?

It's an easy charge to prove, don't risk it!

I mean, how could anyone think its okay? lol. Something that cops aren't enforcing, like 4 people piling into the intersection for left turns during a red?

It's an easy charge to prove, don't risk it!
100% it's not legal....but the fact that I see bikes in it every day and it took me 6 years to see it happen :cool:. Every day there are cars pulled over, but never the bikes....so I just thought the piggies didn't care to bother the ppl on bikes

Although we don't know for certain, it is a good bet, it was an HOV charge. The OPP often do blitzes for HOV on the QEW, If there were that many cruisers then it was likely another blitz. Wish they would do them on the 404, especially southbound south of Steeles, lots of single users

100% it's not legal....but the fact that I see bikes in it every day and it took me 6 years to see it happen :cool:. Every day there are cars pulled over, but never the bikes....so I just thought the piggies didn't care to bother the ppl on bikes

Fewer bikes then cars, probably just a numbers game.

Although we don't know for certain, it is a good bet, it was an HOV charge. The OPP often do blitzes for HOV on the QEW, If there were that many cruisers then it was likely another blitz. Wish they would do them on the 404, especially southbound south of Steeles, lots of single users

They are always under the bridge HOV -> 401 W

Catching an HOV ticket should require you to drive directly to a penalty box (somewhere safe to stop like a nearby parking lot) where you sit for 30 minutes. If you don't report, the price of the ticket increases dramatically. Most people care much more about time than they do $115.

Catching an HOV ticket should require you to drive directly to a penalty box (somewhere safe to stop like a nearby parking lot) where you sit for 30 minutes. If you don't report, the price of the ticket increases dramatically. Most people care much more about time than they do $115.

It's also a moving violation, the hit would likely be more then ticket value.

I don't think I get what you are saying. Are you saying that after I get ticket for driving in the HOV lanes I have to stop for 30 minutes as punishment?

More often than not, people on the HOV on the 404 between 5PM-7PM are single occupant drivers.

I don't think I get what you are saying. Are you saying that after I get ticket for driving in the HOV lanes I have to stop for 30 minutes as punishment?

Yeah. I think that would be a more effective behaviour corrector than the ticket. If on average you lose more time than you gain by going in HOV lanes, any sane person would stop using them illegally.

Yeah. I think that would be a more effective behaviour corrector than the ticket. If on average you lose more time than you gain by going in HOV lanes, any sane person would stop using them

Oh yeah good luck with that police are here to make profits not that they care for us or for our safety.

Oh yeah good luck with that police are here to make profits not that they care for us or for our safety.

So if you are rear ended or have a break in or are mugged or see an impaired driver etc etc et,who ya gonna call?

If you get caught riding the ditch I wonder if that would be more or less illegal ?

More often than not, people on the HOV on the 404 between 5PM-7PM are single occupant drivers.
They could be in electric cars. I know I do:)

I also travel the 403 in Mississauga every day and have seen bikes pulled over in the HOV lane many times over the years. But not once this year.

odd that they want to make it ok to filter but you cant use HOV? Here in BC its "OK"

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.1747...DfJV-SdI8qvGvafy8EEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

speaking of sitting in traffic like a chump. On July 14 i was on my way home after a long ride. Was a bit after 1500. Been on bike since 0800. As i got closer to Vancouver traffic got stupid. Pretty much stopped on the hwy.
Stuck with it for about 1000m. Saw a couple of bikes surf down the shoulder. One on right side and one on left. Heard a siren behind me. Everyone made a path for 2 ambulances. Some cruiser dood riding close behind.

I was tired. it was hot, full gear. screw it, hit the shoulder and slowly made my way for about 1500m where the traffic opened up so i moved back to lane. Heard another siren behind me. This time a RCMP ghost car. Moved over to let him
pass. umm oh oh. yep pulled me over.

Luckily cop was cool about it and i did not get a ticket. Just told him it was a long day and i was hot. He said not a good idea because of all the crap on the shoulder.
He said he was actually on the hwy looking for the bike that was following the ambulances. I guess someone called it in.
Bikes here shoulder surf in traffic on the hwy all the time so i did not think it was that big of a deal. i have only surfed once before and only because it was too hot. Otherwise i just tough it out.

... He said not a good idea because of all the crap on the shoulder.....
That is almost funny, he should have simply said it's illegal to overtake vehicles on the road shoulder, it certainly wasn't legislated an illegal act because you might encounter road debris.

Back
Top Bottom