Leaky Fork SealsT - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaky Fork SealsT

Re: Leaky Fork SealsT

My 2011 with 80,000 kms was showing sight oil film rings on the stantcion. Used the sealmate and it seems a little better.

This started after changing the fork oil over the winter. I had the forks out and changed the springs and set the preload spacer but got cold feet about changing the seals as I did not have the seal setting tool plus they were not leaking.
    Last edited by STARSHIP; 08-15-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Ride Safe.....

2011 BMW F8OOR

Former bikes: 2002 FZ1, 1985 FJ600, 1980 RD400 Hondas S90, SS50 and C50

Quote Originally Posted by HERBXX View Post
    Fork seal on my new 3500km fjr started leaking 2 dayd ago.. Seal mate solved the issue... Btw I tried using a piece of film, broke the corner off in the seal and then a lot of oil leaked out on the floor time I went and got the seal mate.... You can get 2 delivered from seal mate for 16cdn give on to a friend!

Sent from my SM-G903W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
    So what you are saying is that one of your forks is low on fork oil??? That problem won't go away...pull the fork off and check the levels.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I have flexible neoprene sleeves covering my forks at the seal now. They work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by matt365 View Post
    So what you are saying is that one of your forks is low on fork oil??? That problem won't go away...pull the fork off and check the levels.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Already done.. It wasn't down much.. I added a bit. I will set it up more accurately in the fall when I change it the first time. The Fjr only has damping in the other leg anyway.

Sent from my SM-G903W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    I guess it's time for a science lesson.

Fork seals are not designed to keep dirt out. That is the job for the dust seal that goes over top.
    Fork seals keep the oil that is under pressure inside the forks, where it supposed to be.

If there is dirt under the fork seal, not the dust seal, the ONLY place the dirt could from is inside the fork.
    Not true. A lot of stuff gets stuck to the bare tubes, this can pass the dust seal and get lodged in the oil seal. I have cleared road grit, dried bugs, corrosion, hair and even a porcupine quill that has made it past the dust seal - none of these were born from old oil.

The smallest infiltration of road grime can cause a seal leak, Seal-mates are designed to wipe and clear debris caught in the seal. For the last few years I've added gaiters on all my bikes -- nothing ever gets into the fork seals. You can get lots of sizes off Aliexpress -- $6-10 and you never have to worry about debris in your seals.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    If you have dirt under the fork seal it is a good indication it is past the time you should be changing your fork oil.
    This science needs a bit more explaining... there is no relationship between age of fork oil and infiltrated or damaged seals. I've rebuilt forks that have been decades without fluid changes, I have never see evidence of oil causing a seal failure.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400