Leaky Fork SealsT | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leaky Fork SealsT

My 2011 with 80,000 kms was showing sight oil film rings on the stantcion. Used the sealmate and it seems a little better.

This started after changing the fork oil over the winter. I had the forks out and changed the springs and set the preload spacer but got cold feet about changing the seals as I did not have the seal setting tool plus they were not leaking.

Last edited:
Fork seal on my new 3500km fjr started leaking 2 dayd ago.. Seal mate solved the issue... Btw I tried using a piece of film, broke the corner off in the seal and then a lot of oil leaked out on the floor time I went and got the seal mate.... You can get 2 delivered from seal mate for 16cdn give on to a friend!

Sent from my SM-G903W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
So what you are saying is that one of your forks is low on fork oil??? That problem won't go away...pull the fork off and check the levels.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

So what you are saying is that one of your forks is low on fork oil??? That problem won't go away...pull the fork off and check the levels.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Already done.. It wasn't down much.. I added a bit. I will set it up more accurately in the fall when I change it the first time. The Fjr only has damping in the other leg anyway.

I guess it's time for a science lesson.

Fork seals are not designed to keep dirt out. That is the job for the dust seal that goes over top.
Fork seals keep the oil that is under pressure inside the forks, where it supposed to be.

If there is dirt under the fork seal, not the dust seal, the ONLY place the dirt could from is inside the fork.
Not true. A lot of stuff gets stuck to the bare tubes, this can pass the dust seal and get lodged in the oil seal. I have cleared road grit, dried bugs, corrosion, hair and even a porcupine quill that has made it past the dust seal - none of these were born from old oil.

The smallest infiltration of road grime can cause a seal leak, Seal-mates are designed to wipe and clear debris caught in the seal. For the last few years I've added gaiters on all my bikes -- nothing ever gets into the fork seals. You can get lots of sizes off Aliexpress -- $6-10 and you never have to worry about debris in your seals.
If you have dirt under the fork seal it is a good indication it is past the time you should be changing your fork oil.
This science needs a bit more explaining... there is no relationship between age of fork oil and infiltrated or damaged seals. I've rebuilt forks that have been decades without fluid changes, I have never see evidence of oil causing a seal failure.

Fork seal on my new 3500km fjr started leaking 2 dayd ago.. Seal mate solved the issue... Btw I tried using a piece of film, broke the corner off in the seal and then a lot of oil leaked out on the floor time I went and got the seal mate.... You can get 2 delivered from seal mate for 16cdn give on to a friend!

maybe im misunderstanding; but you used seal mate on your new 3500km FJR ? I would have brought it to the dealer for a proper fix under warranty. I must be missing something...

Seal mate fixed the leak on my forks just last weekend. Ive changed fork seals on EVERY bike ive ever owned, and not once did i pull the seal off thinking, yeah, this looks like it needs replacing. They always look fine when I pulled them. I wish I knew about this tool ages ago......thumbs up for this tool from me.

We did this with our old dirt bikes in highschool. 75% of the time, it worked every time ;)

Sex Panther Musk ...60% of the time, it works every time.

Seal mate fixed the leak on my forks just last weekend. Ive changed fork seals on EVERY bike ive ever owned, and not once did i pull the seal off thinking, yeah, this looks like it needs replacing. They always look fine when I pulled them. I wish I knew about this tool ages ago......thumbs up for this tool from me.
Yamaha eventually came back and offered to change the seal, but I got the crap out and the leak stopped, that was 2000 k ago.. I see no need to have it changed.. I would like to avoid the chance of the dealer screwing something else up if at all possible.

Yamaha eventually came back and offered to change the seal, but I got the crap out and the leak stopped, that was 2000 k ago.. I see no need to have it changed.. I would like to avoid the chance of the dealer screwing something else up if at all possible.

had a feeling I was missing something. I thought it would have been a long service wait at the shop.
always a risk handing your bike to the unknown. I like turning my own wrenches too. happy everything worked out for you. nice ride.

It would have been a week wait and I was on vacation and wanted to ride.. I probably would have changed it myself if it hadn't stopped.. The left leg should be dead simple.. There isn't even a cartridge in that side..

Back
Top Bottom