Leaky Fork SealsT | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leaky Fork SealsT

Bobo

So,long story short, both my ‘07 ST1300 and my wife’s ‘08 Bonneville had leaky fork seals and I was not looking forward to repairing them.Saw the Motion Pro Seal Mate on YouTube and thought I would give it a shot for $12.I honestly did not expect the thing to actually work.To my absolute amazement the forks no longer leak on either bike.Each bike took about 15 minutes,best $12 I’ve ever spent.

Glad that worked for you, cheap repair.

One of the things I do on a regular basis to keep dirt out of the seals is to clean the exposed fork tubes with a rag sprayed with WD40 or a silicone lube. I have 116,000km and 16 years on my original seals and, so far, no leaks.

When was the last time you replaced the oil in your forks?
... for most people it would be never.

Glad that worked for you, cheap repair.

One of the things I do on a regular basis to keep dirt out of the seals is to clean the exposed fork tubes with a rag sprayed with WD40 or a silicone lube. I have 116,000km and 16 years on my original seals and, so far, no leaks.
I do the same and have never had a fork seal leak on me in 40 years that’s why I was surprised to have two leaking at once.As for changing the oil in my forks, I never bother, way too much work.By the time it needs it , I’m due for a new bike.

This might sound crazy, but someone I follow on instagram was touring in Maine with his wife and a fork seal went on his Honda Africa Twin half way through his trip. He was in a pinch so cut a piece of camera film and it worked fantastic! Fork didn't leak for rest of trip, and properly fixed the seals afterwards.

When was the last time you replaced the oil in your forks?
... for most people it would be never.

For me, every 2 - 3 years. Not a technically difficult job, but time consuming as the forks have to come off to due a proper flush and then measurement of oil levels in each tube.

If you're trading in your bike every few years, then yes, why bother. If you're planning to keep it a long time then it's got to be done.

This might sound crazy, but someone I follow on instagram was touring in Maine with his wife and a fork seal went on his Honda Africa Twin half way through his trip. He was in a pinch so cut a piece of camera film and it worked fantastic! Fork didn't leak for rest of trip, and properly fixed the seals afterwards.

We did this with our old dirt bikes in highschool. 75% of the time, it worked every time ;)

Highly recommend whenever you change your fork oil, drain it into a clear glass container and inspect it for discolouration, water, plastic residue or metal particles, it will give you a better idea what is going on inside. ... remember there is no filter system for your fork oil, anything in there other then clean oil becomes grinding compound & water promotes rust on the steel bits. Failure to keep good oil in the forks and good bushing sliders, will eventually wear your aluminum parts which results in you seeing shinny metal particles settling in the bottom of your drained fork oil. :I & that's bad.

Please let us know where you purchased the motion pro seal Mate

So,long story short, both my ‘07 ST1300 and my wife’s ‘08 Bonneville had leaky fork seals and I was not looking forward to repairing them.Saw the Motion Pro Seal Mate on YouTube and thought I would give it a shot for $12.I honestly did not expect the thing to actually work.To my absolute amazement the forks no longer leak on either bike.Each bike took about 15 minutes,best $12 I’ve ever spent.

Please let us know where you purchased the motion pro seal Mate
Royal Distributing in Whitby.Once you’ve seen it you could easily make one yourself.You could make it out of a35mm film negative as someone has said.The Seal Mate is a little thicker,making one out of an empty jug of windshield washer fluid would probably work fine.

The most a seal mate can do is to shift a tiny bit of dirt or grit away from the face of the seal, If that is the reason the seal is leaking to start with. You should be so lucky if that is the only problem with your forks.
... and where did that little bit of dirt and grit go? <- into your fork oil.

Royal Distributing in Whitby.Once you’ve seen it you could easily make one yourself.You could make it out of a35mm film negative as someone has said.The Seal Mate is a little thicker,making one out of an empty jug of windshield washer fluid would probably work fine.

A piece of one of those 3 hole plastic sheet protectors would work too. Plastic is stiff enough to slide past the fork seal and maybe push the dirt down past the seal into the fork.

The Seal Mate has a little hook on the end. The object of the game is to pull the dirt out, not push it in.

The most a seal mate can do is to shift a tiny bit of dirt or grit away from the face of the seal, If that is the reason the seal is leaking to start with. You should be so lucky if that is the only problem with your forks.
... and where did that little bit of dirt and grit go? <- into your fork oil.

I think you're supposed to add some Seafoam to the oil.
Yeah, that'll fix it...GOOD!

I guess it's time for a science lesson.

Fork seals are not designed to keep dirt out. That is the job for the dust seal that goes over top.
Fork seals keep the oil that is under pressure inside the forks, where it supposed to be.

If there is dirt under the fork seal, not the dust seal, the ONLY place the dirt could from is inside the fork.
If you have dirt under the fork seal it is a good indication it is past the time you should be changing your fork oil.
While you're at it check the sag.
While you're at it check the "clickers"
While you're at it change the brake fluid. The fluids used in new bikes is the cheapest stuff available and for the most part SUCKS.

It's called maintenance.

Fork seal on my new 3500km fjr started leaking 2 dayd ago.. Seal mate solved the issue... Btw I tried using a piece of film, broke the corner off in the seal and then a lot of oil leaked out on the floor time I went and got the seal mate.... You can get 2 delivered from seal mate for 16cdn give on to a friend!

Sent from my SM-G903W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom