Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ?

roadrash

For the first time today, I decided to ride with earphones on (non-voice cancelling, earbuds that fit in ear), and had a horrible experience. Had music blasting at high volume, but couldn't hear anything on the highway, except for horrendous wind noise. To make matters worse, earbuds came lose mid-commute. Wind noise was terrible without anything plugging my ears. Lesson learned.

Wondering if there are specific brands or types of earphones/earbuds that folks use for riding ? Do they have to be noise cancelling ? Wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars though ... might as well stick with good old ear plugs.

Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome

iphone guy?

MacDoc talks about a set all the time
can't remember the brand, but they are iphone only

@MacDoc

I use these plugged into my bluetooth unit mounted on my helmet. They are decent, i like the "memory" wire..does help keep them in. They are fairly low profile so you wont have to fight to get your helmet on. Comes with an array of plugs/earbuds so finding a good fit shouldn't be a struggle. They can go loud enough to drown out the highway but i still get some wind creep here and there.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00SLVB71Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1\

I use these plugged into my bluetooth unit mounted on my helmet. They are decent, i like the "memory" wire..does help keep them in. They are fairly low profile so you wont have to fight to get your helmet on. Comes with an array of plugs/earbuds so finding a good fit shouldn't be a struggle. They can go loud enough to drown out the highway but i still get some wind creep here and there.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00SLVB71Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1\
Thanks! Looking for low profiles. The ones I have now almost got crushed when I took the helmet off.

I'm beginning to think my helmet is terrible at sound proofing. Either that or I got so used to ear plugs that it felt like I'm in a wind tunnel without them.

ah, android guy now. Dumped iphone a while back
You are a good man, iphones are crap. Really any "ear bud" style headphone will work. I personally like ones that are a bit wider so the helmet puts a put of pressure on them in my ear. This way they will never fall out or shift in your ear while riding.
I used these before I got a Sena and they worked awesome. I might actually plug these into the Sena to replace the schitty speakers that velcro in.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...VQbXACh2IWgvBEAQYAyABEgIvFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

sure :rolleyes:

OP since you can't opt for the Pioneer Rayz you either have to cough up for Bose for noise cancelling or get something like the Shure 215s which are popular ( I use as well )
They are durable, reasonably low profile....popular with riders.
https://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8
Key to road noise isolation is the quality of the tip and the fit.
Westone and Comply make excellent tips ( stay off silicon )

I use a very thin balaclava that keeps the earphones snug and much easier to get the helmet on and off. Oxford makes a super thin one. Easier to wash than your helmet too.

What di you do with your iPhone?

I use a very thin balaclava that keeps the earphones snug and much easier to get the helmet on and off. Oxford makes a super thin one. Easier to wash than your helmet too.

What di you do with your iPhone?
You are genius. How in the hell didn't I think of putting the ear buds under a balaclava! I am ordering one off fortnine asap. Do they have any that are similar to Under Armor Heat Gear? I like how the UA HG wicks the sweat away and makes you feel a bit cooler.
He did a burnout on the iPhone and entered the world of Android :agave:

Personally I like integrated kits in the helmet. Allows you to wear ear plugs while still listening to music. No need to adjust ear buds as well, I found that annoying when I tried years ago, one bud would slip out a little making things uneven and had me pull over to just remove it, too much of a distraction. I am sure the other models listed are better.

If you did want to spend a bit more Sena has some models made to fit some specific helmets, if you have one on the list I personally look at this
https://www.sena.com/product/10u/
Again gives you bluetooth for music and turn by turn as well as calls and lets you still wear ear plugs while being able to do everything.

Earphones or IEMs with expanding foam tips or triple flanges seal out noise really well. Just gotta experiment and figure out what works best for you. I swear one ear prefers foam and the other flanges to get a good seal while inside the helmet. I find because of a little pressure from the foam pressing on the earphones it can really affect the seal and sound. Best to test with helmet.

Plugging said earphones/IEMs into the unit directly already vastly increases noise isolation to near earplug levels if they fit right and the sound volume and quality over the OE speakers that come with com units.

Or you can get better speakers from any uclear and wear plugs. Amazing isolation but music will be on the quiet side compared to the earphone setup.

I run dual driver IEMs with a small inline amp with foam tips myself. And I wear a UA beanie both to help keep the tips in and to help keep the helmet pads cleaner longer. Wife uses a UA head band for same reason (keep earphones in).

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm thinking about Sena now. Will post here once I decide what product to get.

Thin balaclava Oxford is aroun d everywhere ...does not look thin ....it is.

Good post from Paulo - a tip even if you use Senas and even more important if you do not.

Take a few Howard Leight foam ear plugs - stuff them around the speaker or if no speaker then put 5 in in one of the Howard Leight bag the pairs come in and put them in the speaker cavity. That big hole resonates like crazy amplifying external noise. The foam earplugs do a super job killing that resonance.
Discovered it by accident crossing the prairies at high speed. Pushed my helmet up and the noise reduced, back down and big time noise. Stuffed the cavity ....much reduced....better all around ....I think the orginal little bag is in the helmet still.
AND you've got a few earplug spares.

Thin balaclava Oxford is aroun d everywhere ...does not look thin ....it is.

Good post from Paulo - a tip even if you use Senas and even more important if you do not.

Take a few Howard Leight foam ear plugs - stuff them around the speaker or if no speaker then put 5 in in one of the Howard Leight bag the pairs come in and put them in the speaker cavity. That big hole resonates like crazy amplifying external noise. The foam earplugs do a super job killing that resonance.
Discovered it by accident crossing the prairies at high speed. Pushed my helmet up and the noise reduced, back down and big time noise. Stuffed the cavity ....much reduced....better all around ....I think the orginal little bag is in the helmet still.
AND you've got a few earplug spares.
Thanks. I do something similar. When I have tried using uclear upgraded speakers with my Sena unit I noticed I had to pad behind the paddle in the ear pocket to press them closer to my ears for better sound. I typically ride with IEMs and with that setup I cut out ear pocket sized pieces of foam that were part of my sena purchase. A layer or two between the ear pad and the hard expanded foam underneath basically places a foam pad over my ear. It made my helmet noticeably quieter.

You are genius. How in the hell didn't I think of putting the ear buds under a balaclava! I am ordering one off fortnine asap. Do they have any that are similar to Under Armor Heat Gear? I like how the UA HG wicks the sweat away and makes you feel a bit cooler.
He did a burnout on the iPhone and entered the world of Android :agave:

Sweat Wicking Skull Cap Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W8WGKP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5bjuBbRR949D8

These work great for me.

I currently have a Sena 10U and I love it but it's pricey. A more affordable option from Sena is the 3S. I had that before the 10U

I can vouch for the Shure 215's. I also purchased the Shure triple-flange sleeves to go with them. This is in conjunction with Sena 20S. I wear a Bell Star 2nd gen full-face with them.

Sena 20s is on sale right now at GP Bikes btw, just got an email.

Last edited:
Anyone try Cardo Scala instead of Sena? It's cheaper freedom 1 is $133.95 and freecom4 is 194.95 at GP.

Back
Top Bottom