Commuting in the heat | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting in the heat

I consider myself extremely lucky. I commute 35kms each way Alliston to Schomberg. All pretty country roads. If I feel like riding a longer route I'll ride across hwy 9 to Airport rd. and ride north to hwy 89 then east back to Alliston.

Fortunately my commute back isn't in rush hour. Around noon and alright most of the days. A few hot ones, but mesh gear does it's job.....except when the storm hit yesterday. Was only spitting a short bit from home, so didn't bother with my rain gear....then it just opened up in the space of a block. Pulled over the next block to cover my backpack and didn't bother with a suit cause I was already soaked thru.

...then it just opened up in the space of a block. Pulled over the next block to cover my backpack and didn't bother with a suit cause I was already soaked thru.

Yeah, i got caught in that on the way to work a few weeks back. Slight drizzle for 20 mins, then 5 mins from work it just opens up. Mesh/textile jacket was drenched, had a bigass puddle on the floor beneath the coat rack by the time i went home.

Can you go in really early?

My commute is short - about 10km. My problem is it's all city and I have 27 lights between my house and office. I'm normally all gear all the time but this summer is way too hot. Helmet, boots and gloves -- no jacket or pants. I also had to switch my daily ride to my Vstrom, my FJR throws heat like a bonfire when it's driven in the city - makes me crazy.

My head is still boiling - looking for a cop style helmet for the city.

Guys/Girls if you feel uncomfortable on bike - means you do something wrong: aka skills/gear/riding behaviors...
I love riding when it's over +30! When a hot breeze warms up my bones though I'm not gonna wear a jacket when it's over +30 and I'm not gonna knee dragging if I wear only shorts... something like this

Sent from my SGH-I337M using GTAM mobile app

I have not used one but you could look at a cooling vest you wear beneath your jacket. Supposedly lasts 8 - 10 hours and can drop the temperature around 8C.

A few brands out there, I will be going with the BMW one next time I trip out West to Utah or Nevada. This is a review of the BMW one and he sings its praises.
http://www.roadtrooper.com/bmw-motorrad-hyperkewl-cooling-vest-review/

A few different brands out there and not crazy expensive especially if it does what they say it does

this may a good option MM, Nolan N44 Evo
crash tests similar to a full face (with chin bar/visor on)
visor and chin bar come off in 2 seconds
becomes an open face with flip down sun visor
but still much more protective than a beenie - side of head
best helmet I've owned
Thanks - I've seen a few Goldwing riders with these, didn't know they were modular. Over to Fortnine!

OTlZLJA.jpg

That's similar to my AFX--55

afx-fx-55-helmet-configurations_zpsqasx1yxl.jpg

The visor is very solid quality and not expensive if you need to replace.

more info here

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/57-riding-gear/80897-fyi-afx-55-7-1-helmet-3.html

[video=youtube;OkuSeuB4JlA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuSeuB4JlA[/video]

Amazing field of view ...much better than my C3. ...C3 not so great in the heat but superb in cooler weather and does not fog.

The AFX I'd be riding with in the heat for sure. Was really surprised how good the shield was

Customer service was great...lost one of the big screws in N BC...company shipped a pair of replacements to Nanaimo - I just had to pay shipping.

$136 US
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-55-helmet

and RevZilla allows no questions asked returns.

Only 35% of the price of the Nolan.

Last edited:
I commute 170km round trip every day from Peterborough to Whitby. I only commute on the bike when the mood strikes. It's a straight run down the highway and back, so if it's getting up over say 28c + humidity or there is a 40% chance or better of showers, or I just feel a little tired that day I leave the bike at home and take the car. Bragging rights for commuting on your bike don't count for much when you spend the first hour of your shift walking around with swamp butt and pit stains! AC and my sirius radio are much appreciated on my commute! I usually skip taking the bike too if I'm on days on a Friday (cottage traffic heading up my way on my way home) or if I'm working afternoons on a Sunday or holiday Monday (traffic heading towards my work on my way in).

Weekend warriors are the worst to commute alongside. On the Friday they're usually in a rush, stressed out, think that they will some how have an "epic" weekend if they could just pass the 27 cars in front of them in one shot. On the Sunday they're usually exhausted, in a rush and thinking about everything they have to do to get ready for Monday morning. Both equal distracted drivers not watching out for bikes.

As for staying cool, it's often trial and error. Find the gear that works for you. I have a "chilly pad" around here (somewhere) that is basically a dimpled chamois that you wet, wring out the excess and then place against your chest under your jacket. As the water evaporates off the chilly pad it gets cool to the touch. Lasts about 45 min if you keep your jacket done up. Not as good as some of the options out there but it was very inexpensive and takes up next to no space in your bag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom