No way to get discounts on insrance. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No way to get discounts on insrance.

I have discounts. Use Aviva through Mitchell & Whale. Every year I get some quotes and if someone offers me a good deal I go there.
So far no big issues, residents of Ontario are being gouged overall but personally I feel I pay much less than the average person. Of course, biggest part of it is my record, age and location.

I hate to say this, you are lucky. Because I am (or was) with Mitchell & Whale and also with Aviva and they are the one's who ridiculously raised my rates. I was also not impressed that they requested or were interested in my credit history and if they allowed me to look into it I could get some kind of discount. Hell no why should I do this?

This has been done in the US for some time, but it seems to be creeping into the Ontario market. The theory is if you have poor credit, your more likely to make a claim, and then "inflate" the claim. They use this in the US, to either charge higher rates, or deny coverage all together.

I hate to say this, you are lucky. Because I am (or was) with Mitchell & Whale and also with Aviva and they are the one's who ridiculously raised my rates. I was also not impressed that they requested or were interested in my credit history and if they allowed me to look into it I could get some kind of discount. Hell no why should I do this?

hey @sburns. I am the insurance forum sponsor for this site. I am an agent with Allstate. You mentioned you called Allstate already. Did you call me or another agent at a different office? If you'd like I could give you a call and run some numbers for you if nobody has gotten back to you yet. Or feel free to call me at 289-460-4276. Or email me at mcamacho@allstate.ca

Right now there is only a handful of companies that are competitive for bike insurance. Allstate is one of them. Not saying I'm going to definitely be the cheapest for you but worth a try for sure.

Cheers,
Matt

hey @sburns. I am the insurance forum sponsor for this site. I am an agent with Allstate. You mentioned you called Allstate already. Did you call me or another agent at a different office? If you'd like I could give you a call and run some numbers for you if nobody has gotten back to you yet. Or feel free to call me at 289-460-4276. Or email me at mcamacho@allstate.ca

Right now there is only a handful of companies that are competitive for bike insurance. Allstate is one of them. Not saying I'm going to definitely be the cheapest for you but worth a try for sure.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, a somewhat off-topic question for you. Would you mind shedding some light on the Elite rider discount ? Wondering how does one qualify for it. Thanks!

Last edited:
The Elite Rider discount is a discount offered by Allstate which offers you an additional 30% off your motorcycle insurance. You have to meet a variety of qualifying criteria to get the discount. Pretty much you have to be relatively experienced rider with a fairly clean driving record. If you'd like to know more about the discount you can send me an email or give me a call and I can check to see if you qualify.

Last edited:
The Elite Rider discount is a discount offered by Allstate which offers you an additional 30% off your motorcycle insurance. You have to meet a variety of qualifying criteria to get the discount. Pretty much you have to be relatively experienced rider with a fairly clean driving record. If you'd like to know more about the discount you can send me an email or give me a call and I can check to see if you qualify.
Thank you!

I really do not get the insurance industry. The only 2 things I get, it is very manipulated, and I should be come a broker to earn money off this scam.

I have been shopping around for a month (auto insurance). Finally something looked good with CAA, which I was referred to by lowestrate.ca. Went through the quote a bunch of times to make sure, then pulled the trigger. Opps you had a accident 15 years ago, they need 25 years accident free to get the good rate. Now here is the new rate is $500 more then quoted....WTF.. nope

Just tried out another online quote ComparaSave. Came up with a better quote then CAA no membership needed. Found the insurance company is Toronto Rapers Insurance... yes this is a thing (see what I mean about this being a racket) who is underwritten by Aviva...guess what Aviva was my initial insurer with a different broker... but I somehow got a better quote!! And they don't care abut the accident 15 years ago, only look back 9 years. <facepalm>

It's legal to look back 15 years to set rates? I thought there was a legislated limit of 7 years or so???

It's legal to look back 15 years to set rates? I thought there was a legislated limit of 7 years or so???

I have no idea, I would be very curious to know. I told them (CAA) I have pulled my drivers absract, which happens to be blank because it is clean. They mentioned something about auto plus record which gives you your driving insurance history which they looked at. So insurance history may be different (to them) then driver history. All fun and games with insurance....

Every year I get tense around this time when that renewal comes in, knowing the hoops I need jump through etc.

If that rain on the radar stays away I'll have to go for a quick rip.

Allstate does the same. Motorcycle policy is cheap, but car and home are not (relatively speaking).

Yup, bike is nearly half of what it would cost stand alone at other companies, but my car is 600 more a year. I do have better coverage on it tho than when I was with aviva.

Yup, bike is nearly half of what it would cost stand alone at other companies, but my car is 600 more a year. I do have better coverage on it tho than when I was with aviva.
Same. My car and home policies were more but came with better coverage. So I pulled the trigger.

TD and Allstate SUCK and overcharge for bike insurance. In 2004 I called for a quote on a dual sport motorcycle. TD wanted $950/year. Allstate was the worse. They wanted $1,700 a year. Duffy ins quoted me $357/year. I have been with them since. I dont know why all these guys here claim that Allstate is awesome... they suck.

Hmm, referencing insurance quotes from 14 years ago and comparing to our current market of available insurers wouldn't be very accurate would it...?

DesJardin was able to give me a decent rate for my Car/Home/Bike. I pay $3100/yr combined at 26 years old... I do also have a at fault claim in a car from 8 years ago (which they consider for 10 years).
I think the bike qualified me for a multi-vehicle discount on my car insurance of 10%(?). Not really sure, but it was the cheapest I found for the coverage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom