M2X Intercom | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2X Intercom

I have my M2X booked for later this week, and I was wondering if anyone has done the test with a Sena or other similar intercom headset. To my understanding the examiner gives you an earpiece that is hooked up to his/her intercom and delivers the instructions through that. I've heard the sound quality is pretty bad and it's barely audible at times. Am I going to have to suck it up, or has anyone had any luck using their own headset/device?

You will have to suck it up unless the examiner is individually ok with it. I've asked and the examiner said no.

I don't remember having an issue with hearing the examiner when I did mine.

I have my M2X booked for later this week, and I was wondering if anyone has done the test with a Sena or other similar intercom headset. To my understanding the examiner gives you an earpiece that is hooked up to his/her intercom and delivers the instructions through that. I've heard the sound quality is pretty bad and it's barely audible at times. Am I going to have to suck it up, or has anyone had any luck using their own headset/device?

It's fine, when you make a mistake you get to tap your helmet "couldn't understand you".

Take it and run!

Might be different now but during my test the radios weren't Bluetooth. They were more like the Motorola FRS/GMRS UHF "Talkabout" series or a close variant.

Might be different now but during my test the radios weren't Bluetooth. They were more like the Motorola FRS/GMRS UHF "Talkabout" series or a close variant.
Yes, just good 'ole walkie talkie technology. I don't know of any examining authority, i.e. colleges and private courses, who use bluetooth.

At most, they might let you use your own earbud, but those walkie talkies usually use a 2.5mm jack, not the 3.5mm that's standard on all of our usual devices.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I guess I'm probably overthinking it. If everyone who has a full M hasn't had an issue I guess I won't either.

I've used a scala rider which has an MP3 player jack in it and a male to male cord.

I've also used my own earphones, which fits better into my tiny sensitive ear canals.
Remember you can only hear through one, so put the proper one in your ear.

They used Motorola "walkie talkies", so everything fit together fine.

Some of the earbuds have the wings that go around your ear which may help. They also usually have surgical tape, if you want/need to secure it better (open face helmets etc).

The sound quality tends to be decent in the residential and business areas.
You might have issues in the highway, if you don't have the volume up enough and a quiet helmet.
Especially, if the earbud starts to dislodge itself.

You're told to wack/poke yourself in the side of the head, if you can't hear.

You'd have to ask the individual examiner though.

Last edited:
They will tell you that if you are unable to hear or understand a directive to tap the side of your helmet and they will repeat clearer and louder.

I used my own earphones, plugged into their radio. Examiner had no problems with that. Worked pretty well for the most part.

They tell you what to do on the highway before hand, because the radio usually cuts off at speed.

@s2000buddy bring some painter's tape.
Bring some earplugs.
Put intercom in ear, use tape over ear to hold it in place.
Put earplug in other ear.
Take more painter's tape and make a cross or X on back of helmet to help tester see your head move back and forth.
Good luck.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

So I just passed the M2 exit test today at Metro East...

@Joe - thx for the tip about taping an X on the helmet :eek: ... Any little bit helps to make it checking blind spots obvious..
Below is the radio they gave and the headset plug was 2.5mm (smaller than typical 3.5mm). I just ended up using what they gave me including the piece of tape to keep it in my ear and it wasn't that bad.

J6O41sRl.jpg

U4b16KJl.jpg

BAb2VTSl.jpg

@psiborg np and congrats

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

So I just passed the M2 exit test today at Metro East...

@Joe - thx for the tip about taping an X on the helmet :eek: ... Any little bit helps to make it checking blind spots obvious..
Below is the radio they gave and the headset plug was 2.5mm (smaller than typical 3.5mm). I just ended up using what they gave me including the piece of tape to keep it in my ear and it wasn't that bad.

J6O41sRl.jpg

U4b16KJl.jpg

BAb2VTSl.jpg

Congrats!

Wow, the radio I was given for my M2X test was a POS. This looks high tech.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom