new rider, riding buddies? | GTAMotorcycle.com

new rider, riding buddies?

Han101

hey new to the whole riding scene and just got myself a cbr 500, would love some riding buddies to show me some tips and tricks as well as going on rides with. any takers? im in downtown toronto

Welcome!

If you`re looking to meet new people and scope out some rides i recommend checking out some of the local meetups. Lakeshore and Leslie on Thursdays is in your neck of the woods, people start filing in around 7/730pm.

If you want to come up to Kennedy Commons (Tim Hortons) sometime drop me a line, i can introduce you to some new people and try to answer any questions you have. We're usually there a few nights a week (except this week/weekend, i'm out of commission).

I know others may disagree, but do yourself a favour and ride solo for the first while. While it's tempting to hook up with others for the social aspect when you're starting out, you can quickly find yourself in a situation you may either find uncomfortable - others of questionable skill that could put you at risk, or alternately others who are just plain dangerous and are doing things around you that you may not yet have the skills to avoid safely if they screw up.

You could also possibly find yourself riding beyond your abilities at this point trying to keep up to other much faster riders, something that puts many new riders in the hospital every year.

Spend a good while and lots of kilometers getting used to your bike, learning, and enjoying the experience. Only when you've reached a good level of proficiency should you consider group riding.

I know others may disagree, but do yourself a favour and ride solo for the first while. While it's tempting to hook up with others for the social aspect when you're starting out, you can quickly find yourself in a situation you may either find uncomfortable - others of questionable skill that could put you at risk, or alternately others who are just plain dangerous and are doing things around you that you may not yet have the skills to avoid safely if they screw up.

You could also possibly find yourself riding beyond your abilities at this point trying to keep up to other much faster riders, something that puts many new riders in the hospital every year.

Spend a good while and lots of kilometers getting used to your bike, learning, and enjoying the experience. Only when you've reached a good level of proficiency should you consider group riding.

100%

200%

the social side of riding is neat
but getting your wits about you first is important
and over time you'll learn to appreciate setting your own itinerary
or no itinerary

300%

Most experienced riders don't want inexperienced riders anywhere near them, anyhow ...

Go exploring on your own and by all means go to any of the social-oriented gatherings. Leslie and Lakeshore, Kennedy Commons, Burrito Boyz, Monday dessert meets.

The above suggestions are very important because you have to be comfortable and have enough experience to ride with others especially since in many cases, you will be in formation or even sharing a lane.

It also depends on the group you are riding with. For example, different types of bikers ride differently. While it may be obvious that sport bikes and super sport are going to accelerate fast, fly as much as possible and corner like they are on the track, other groups such as cruisers or Harley riders typically ride carefully and cruise most of the time. I happened to have joined a few Harley and Cruiser groups (with my R3) and while it was very different from the typical sport group I usually ride "Fly" with, it was an interesting experience and I really got to enjoy the ride and scenery.

Also keep in mind that you are starting with a bigger bike and thus have more power so you should really become more confident and comfortable with your cbr 500 as that will be key to your riding success. Your bike will be able to keep up with the big boys (600-1000cc) but it might put you into sticky situations that you thought you were ready for but unfortunately, you just didn't have enough experience and you only realized that once it was too late. Remember that some people push themselves too much in the start and it could lead them to not want to ride anymore so you gotta really know your limits and improve your skills over time.

Like with any skill-set that we learn, not only does it take time, but you also have to constantly practice it so if you are able to ride your bike daily even for trips that you didn't have to make, that will be useful experience that you can continue to work on and before you know it, you'll be moving on to trying to better yourself in other areas like cornering or faster gear shifting or body position, or using less gas, seeing how far you can go on one tank, etc.

It is never a dull moment riding a motorcycle (at-least I don't feel that way on my R3).

Welcome to the riding scene! Hope to see you around, maybe at L&L this Thursday?

Most experienced riders don't want inexperienced riders anywhere near them, anyhow ...

I will concur on that one, but didn't want to hurt any feelings.

When my wife first got her licence and started riding we were lucky to have a great group of friends who were patient, understanding, and helped build her confidence along the way, despite all the typical mistakes like a lot of stalling in challenging situations (IE, starting on hills, etc), slowing down in the corners below what the rest of the group was riding (still a small issue sometimes, but decreasing), etc.

But a bunch of strangers (especially in the sport crowd) are apt to just leave a new rider in the dust, or as mentioned, potentially placing them in dangerous situations, often unknowingly to the new rider themselves.

I will concur on that one, but didn't want to hurt any feelings.

When my wife first got her licence and started riding we were lucky to have a great group of friends who were patient, understanding, and helped build her confidence along the way, despite all the typical mistakes like a lot of stalling in challenging situations (IE, starting on hills, etc), slowing down in the corners below what the rest of the group was riding (still a small issue sometimes, but decreasing), etc.

But a bunch of strangers (especially in the sport crowd) are apt to just leave a new rider in the dust, or as mentioned, potentially placing them in dangerous situations, often unknowingly to the new rider themselves.

Fairly hypocritical considering your first post! ;)

Fairly hypocritical considering your first post! ;)

Fair argument, and good point - but different situations.

The friends my wife started riding with were pre-existing friends who knew us for some time already.

And we belong to a reputable riding organization with rules and safety expectations.

It wasn’t us just heading out with a bunch of strangers we found online.

Fair argument, and good point - but different situations.

The friends my wife started riding with were pre-existing friends who knew us for some time already.

And we belong to a reputable riding organization with rules and safety expectations.

It wasn’t us just heading out with a bunch of strangers we found online.

I was referring less to the group issue (you made a good point) and more the 'ride solo and improve your skills' aspect. Either way, i'm just teasing you!

400%

I was referring less to the group issue (you made a good point) and more the 'ride solo and improve your skills' aspect. Either way, i'm just teasing you!

No worries. ;)

I guess I should have prefaced my initial reply with a caveat that riding with some existing close friends who understand and appreciate that you're just starting out (and are willing to ride to within your limits as part of mentoring you and helping you build your skills) would be acceptable, if done carefully. In my situation, we always tell new riders to always "ride your own ride" and never feel rushed to keep up - the REST of the group will slow down.

That can be beneficial for many as they are mentored and carefully helped along by people who are willing to often inconvenience themselves (riding slower, more frequent stops, etc) to help along a new rider.

But again, this is a bit of a different situation vs just starting out and hunting online for strangers to ride with, or showing up to a social bike night somewhere and taking off with a bunch of people you've never met before, much less ever ridden with, and riding off into the hills.

It's not bad if you already know an experienced rider to ride tail and give you pointers at stops, but a stranger is not as likely to be patient enough. You might find someone.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't ever ride with people with bent up license plates. They are guaranteed to ride like idiots, that's the first point of flipping up the plate. When the cherries light up, they are guaranteed to run, that's the second point of flipping up the plate. Your choice then will be get left holding the bag, orrisk your life trying to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom