Looking for a unique/interesting B&B/AirBNB, Collingwood / Owen Sound area | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a unique/interesting B&B/AirBNB, Collingwood / Owen Sound area

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
We are on vacation for another week with not a lot planned. Thinking about doing a little 1 or 2 night ride up around the Collingwood / Owen Sound / Orangeville triangle.

I've been looking on and off all day for anywhere interesting to stay vs the run of the mill hotel/motel routine.

Also looking for any particularly interesting roads/destinations/things to see that I might have overlooked.

Any suggestions / hidden gems?

There is a network of b&b's that cater to Bruce Trail hikers.I think you can access them thru a copy of the Bruce Trail Guide available at most book stores.My wife and I have met a lot of really interesting people doing the BT.

Here's one list. https://brucetrail.org/pages/trail/peninsula

There's a nice looking B & B on Grey Rd 13 (One of my favourite roads), just south of Thornbury/Clarksburg. I can't find the name, but it's close to Georgian Bay and about halfway between Collingwood/Owen Sound.

Thx all.

So my wife ended up finding a nice combination that worked out great. We ended up puttering across the top of the city (my wife wanted to visit some old Co workers at her old employer, so while she did that I went to the Pacific Mall..meh) and then we continued across the top, went through the Forks (with an obligatory ice cream stop in town), and then ended up in Markdale at the Danby House B&B. It was most excellent - a beautifully restored and tastefully renovated historic home in town. Beautiful grounds, an excellent room, and an amazing breakfast.

My wife discovered (hence we we decided to stay there, although we had plans that required us to be in Markdale anyways, so it worked out great) was that they were a partner with the "Scandinave" spa & baths in Collingwood, so we decided to indulge in their package which was an all-in-one through the B&B, which was super convenient.

https://www.scandinave.com/blue-mountain/en/

This morning we got up at the B&B, had a coffee and breakfast, and then set out for our 11AM appointment at the spa.

The spa was, well...interesting, kinda cool. Check out the website to get what it was all about. I was definitely in the minority as a male there, probably only 6-8 other guys in the whole place. Was pretty quiet in general, it seemed to be a quiet day - apparently some days the place is lined up to the parking lot and people wait 3-8 hours to get in...crazy. Strict no cellphone and whispers only rules which I was cool with, looking forward to it actually.....except for the self entitled 20-somethings who decided that the rules didn't apply to them of course, so the relaxation of listening to the waterfalls and such was often snapped by the aforementioned ladies having loud conversations with their friends about stupid crap. Thankfully there was staff walking around telling the people who didn't understand the rules that they still had to follow them, even if they didn't like them. There were hurt feelings and snarky remarks. Meh.

Anyhow, spent about 6 hours at the spa (including a massively overpriced soup and sandwich in the cafe at lunch) and spent a bunch of time going back and forth between the steam room, sauna, hot pools, and the freakin' frigid cold plunge pools.

Would actually like to go back again, but during the winter.

Apparently they are building one of these spas at the old Cullen Gardens grounds in Whitby as well, so it'd be closer.

They're usually wedding parties, so don't get too out of joint with them or they may start flashing you. ;)

They're usually wedding parties, so don't get too out of joint with them or they may start flashing you. ;)

I didn't say anything to anyone personally (but I was tempted to a few times), although my wife did - we were laying in one of the big round "cacoon" type chairs trying to relax and catch a nap and the gaggle in the chairs behind us decided it was social circle time. After about 20 minutes of listening to them ***** about their boyfriends, the spa, the sun, the lack of sun, how the smoke from one of the nearby firepits (which I LOVED the smell of) was bothering them, and how there was no booze....my wife went over and politely reminded them that it was supposed to be silence.

But yes, if you are the sort of guy who wanted to just sit in a corner with sunglasses on and take in the eye candy, this is your place. ;)

We usually go to Nordik once a year or so. They have people with signs in English and French who hover over you, and sometimes startle you by silently getting in your space until you shut up.

Back
Top Bottom