MOT Failed | GTAMotorcycle.com

MOT Failed

My YBR 125 has just failed it's MOT because the front brake lever can be pulled all the way to the handle bar grips even though the brake locks out well before that has anyone else had this issue

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

Need more details.How many kms on the bike? Recent work done on it? Did you just buy it from someone uncertified?

... your brakes are mushy?
Assuming you have sufficient brake pad material left and that it is not just a small adjustment required at the lever, you either have air in the line or your front brake line is not handling the hydraulic pressure.

... your brakes are mushy?
Assuming you have sufficient brake pad material left and that it is not just a small adjustment required at the lever, you either have air in the line or your front brake line is not handling the hydraulic pressure.
It is a 15 plate so first MOT and the leaver has allways done this but brakes work fine the caliper has had new seals and new fluid in system pads are ok not new but legal and lever still touches handle bars but the brake locks out way before the leaver gets to the bars

Need more details.How many kms on the bike? Recent work done on it? Did you just buy it from someone uncertified?
The bike has 14000 miles on it front caliper has had new seals and fluid change pads are ok not new but legal

The bike has 14000 miles on it front caliper has had new seals and fluid change pads are ok not new but legal

The master cylinder made need rebuilding OR the front brake line needs replacing.

IF I WERE YOU I would find a stainless steel replacement for the hose.

It is a 15 plate so first MOT and the leaver has allways done this but brakes work fine the caliper has had new seals and new fluid in system pads are ok not new but legal and lever still touches handle bars but the brake locks out way before the leaver gets to the bars

The hydraulic line is rubber and probably has a nylon type fabric braid in it to resist expansion under pressure, the upgrade is to replace the line with a stainless steel braided brake hose instead, the steel is better suited to the extreme hydraulic pressure and imparts a more positive feel at the lever (shortens up the travel) Through the process of replacing that brake line you will need to replace the fluid and re-bleed the system. Almost certain that service would solve your problem.
... if any air is in the brake system your brakes will feel like mush, the system needs to be completely free of air bubbles, air compresses and fluid can not be compressed.

The master cylinder made need rebuilding OR the front brake line needs replacing.

IF I WERE YOU I would find a stainless steel replacement for the hose.
If you pull hard enough it reaches the handle bars but the brake efficiency is good and i know air compress no disrespect im a mechanic by trade and a former MOT tester my issue is that even after the brake locks out he continued to pull the lever until it touched the handle bars

If you pull hard enough it reaches the handle bars but the brake efficiency is good and i know air compress no disrespect im a mechanic by trade and a former MOT tester my issue is that even after the brake locks out he continued to pull the lever until it touched the handle bars

He wants it fixed, so fix it. We given you some suggestions, you choose to disregard.

He wants it fixed, so fix it. We given you some suggestions, you choose to disregard.
As I've said no disrespect i am a mechanic and all parts are good im only asking if anyone else had had this issue at mot

As I've said no disrespect i am a mechanic and all parts are good im only asking if anyone else had had this issue at mot

Well, Given that the model of bike is not at all common in Canada, Likely no one else has had the issue. Doesn't matter if you agree with the inspectors methodology or not, he failed the bike.

At this point you have two options, have it serviced so it meets HIS/HER, requirements. Or go to another facility and have the bike inspected there. If they pass it as it sits, then your golden, if they too fail it, then your back to having it meet the standards.

no, it wouldn't make it that far because I would fix it before anybody could inspected it :|
... the brake lever should not continue to move once the brake pads come up tight.

Go to a new bike dealer and test one of the bikes in the showroom for comparison, you can never make it better then that with the stock parts.

At the risk of repeating myself -

1) This bike is not a Canadian model, so no one on this forum is likely to know.

2) You may be a mechanic, but the inspector wants it fixed so you're going to have to do something.

3) The master cylinder may require rebuilding and upgrading the brake line is a quick, inexpensive and easy fix.

I'm done now....

At the risk of repeating myself -

1) This bike is not a Canadian model, so no one on this forum is likely to know.

2) You may be a mechanic, but the inspector wants it fixed so you're going to have to do something.

3) The master cylinder may require rebuilding and upgrading the brake line is a quick, inexpensive and easy fix.

I'm done now....
If the bike isn't in Canada and you don't know if this is a characteristic of this bike model then why are you offering an opinion im asking if anyone has had this issue at test not several repair suggestions and certainly not asking for abuse because i haven't taken your suggestion

Go down the check list.

--Has the brake been bled? (common cause of this is air in the line)

--Are your pads the required thickness? If not, replace them.

--Is one of your brake lines damaged causing expansion? Change the line if it is.

--Is the brake caliper boot leaking? Get a mech to replace it.

The front brake is very simple. It should not be hard to repair.

Go down the check list.

--Has the brake been bled? (common cause of this is air in the line)

--Are your pads the required thickness? If not, replace them.

--Is one of your brake lines damaged causing expansion? Change the line if it is.

--Is the brake caliper boot leaking? Get a mech to replace it.

The front brake is very simple. It should not be hard to repair.
All ok just asking if anyone else has had this issue at test

You are writing this on an internet forum that is based in Canada.

We don't have MOT tests here. We have something like it, but it's not called that.

We don't have that bike model here in Canada. Therefore, for those TWO reasons, no one that you are talking to will have had that specific issue on that specific bike.

That adds up to, "you're talking to the wrong people".

Nevertheless, brakes are brakes, and the technical answers that you were supplied with are as helpful as can be expected under the circumstances.

You've either got air in the brake line, or seals somewhere in the brake system that are knackered (and there are only two places that have seals, the master cylinder, and the caliper), or the pistons inside the calipers themselves are munged up with dirt and brake pad dust so that the pistons are not going out and in properly.

That's it. Find the problem and fix it. There's an ocean between where we are, and where you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a hydraulic disk brake
brake oil does not compress
if the pistons in the caliper have moved out and pads have grabbed the rotor
there should be no further movement of the lever

if there is, and you say there is, there is a problem with the system
this is not a characteristic of any bike
and it's not a matter of an inspector doing something shady

likely causes have been listed

Back
Top Bottom