After it's clean...maintaining it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

After it's clean...maintaining it?

If I did ride like that in the rain it would be a full job cleaning up for sure.

Meh. This is my bike after a long trip to (basically) MB and back last year. 4500KM or something like that in 4 days, and (ugh, I still remember it) about 750KM of it was in heavy rain.

Bike got messy.

dirtyvtx.jpg

Took it to the local pay and spray the day after I got home, sprayed some pre-soak on it, let it sit for a minute or so, then blasted it clean with soap, rinse, done. Shammy'd the chrome and such when I got back home. Good enough.

After a proper wash; and wax (protectant), I'll use Meg's Quick Detailer and a good quality microfiber. This only removes general dust and minor bug splats (carefully). Within a few days of the first wax coat I'll put on a second. I'll also maintain a clear windscreen with Invisible Glass, and plastics stay protected, clear and black with Aerospace 303 protectant. I don't really ride in the rain so these simple things will last long enough. Wax will last the better part of a month so that's about the length of time I go before I'll wash/wax over again.

I like a clean bike and it's easy to do if you don't ride in rain.

Last edited:
I live on a gravel (dirt) road so there's no point in trying to keep it clean. 5 seconds after leaving the garage it would be filthy again. That being said, the last time it was in the shop they cleaned it, especially the rims, and it did make it look nice.

I usually wash, dry and wax my bike after every couple of rides. Sometimes more often than that. I did the whole routine the day before Ride for Sight, did an on-site clean with my S1000 spray and then did the whole routine again after I got home from the weekend! I also do the whole routine after I get caught in the rain. I love keeping my bikes nice and find the cleaning/detailing relaxing. I love attention my bikes get for being so clean. I almost miss having a cruiser because I loved they way it shined after I had polished all the chrome! Now that I have a bike that is 90% covered with plastic it takes a lot less time but a whole lot more wax!

Back
Top Bottom