My bike was hit in a parking lot | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike was hit in a parking lot

Yes if they let me buy the bike back before they brand it as SALVAGE then I will definitely do that but I am unaware and unfamiliar with the process.

I have made it abundantly clear to the claims adjuster and the appraiser that I want to keep the bike and fix it myself if it comes down to it.

I personally would not bother with a second appraisal of the "wreck" as I doubt the outcome will be different

It’s not my choice to make.
The independent appraiser came to my place to look at the bike yesterday and today he called to say he needs me to take it somewhere so they can give him more accurate pricing of what the damage is and to look under the fairings for more damage.

AFAIK if it's written off due to cosmetic costs, it's not branded.

It's not. My VTX was a cosmetic write off, long story. It is not branded.

Slowbird, fight with them to get top dollar if they decide to write it off, then buy it back, fix it up, and hopefully it all ends up being a wash for you. In the end the ownership will still be clean and since things like Carproof don't work for motorcycles there won't be any record of the accident down the road if resale is in the back of your head, etc.

In the end the ownership will still be clean and since things like Carproof don't work for motorcycles there won't be any record of the accident down the road if resale is in the back of your head, etc.

Carproof does work for Motorcycles, the exact same as any other vehicle. All the information that was submitted is available however they are not as common for Motorcycles as they are for other vehicles.

The reason why I know this is because I am friends with people that work at a motorcycle dealership and have personally seen these reports.

Carproof does work for Motorcycles, the exact same as any other vehicle. All the information that was submitted is available however they are not as common for Motorcycles as they are for other vehicles.

The reason why I know this is because I am friends with people that work at a motorcycle dealership and have personally seen these reports.
I had someone run my VIN on carproof, it didn't even recognize it. Maybe only some bikes are on it?

I had someone run my VIN on carproof, it didn't even recognize it. Maybe only some bikes are on it?

When you say someone ran your VIN on carproof, do you mean that you paid for the service or that you simply typed your VIN on their website and it came back with 0 results?

When you say someone ran your VIN on carproof, do you mean that you paid for the service or that you simply typed your VIN on their website and it came back with 0 results?
Someone I know who has the paid membership ran it. I would've had to pay him for the report had it come up, but it didn't recognize the VIN.

I stand corrected if that's the case, but it must be something new, as I always understood it didn't as I too tried to run MC Vin's before and got "unrecognized VIN" errors the same as others commenting above.

Edit: I indeed stand corrected, just checked my wifes Vstar 1100 VIN and it shows records for it.

Last edited:

You still could of got the report. The message you saw just means carproof system doesn't recognize the vin to auto populate the make/model fields. Any information relating to that vin from the insurance database, police reports and MTO would still show up. This will occasionally happen for some exotic cars as well.

I run carproof reports on a daily basis and have done it on a number of bikes going back a few years. It works fine for motorcycles.

edit. Just saw you posted again. That's correct, there's been no claims made against that vin number before.

You still could of got the report. The message you saw just means carproof system doesn't recognize the vin to auto populate the make/model fields. Any information relating to that vin from the insurance database, police reports and MTO would still show up. This will occasionally happen for some exotic cars as well.

I run carproof reports on a daily basis and have done it on a number of bikes going back a few years. It works fine for motorcycles.

edit. Just saw you posted again. That's correct, there's been no claims made against that vin number before.
Cool, thanks for confirming!

Well since the Police refuse to do anything about the guy and small claims is a waste of time, I may as well post the video.
Sorry, no Benny Hill music. I kinda don't want to make light of something that isn't really funny to me at all. The fact he's getting away with it and I have to go through all this trouble because some 48 year old Portuguese guy doesn't know how to drive, doesn't make me want to laugh.
Maybe when all this is done, but not at the moment.

You can see in the first few seconds of the footage he clearly sees and looks at my bike. So he knew it was there. :angry5: ...and he had plenty of space.

https://youtu.be/NGm8bsCGLfo

Also, because friends and family watched the video and asked how I picked up the bike when this dude couldn't, I also have the footage of me picking up the bike.

https://youtu.be/jrP4TLg1jNU

I'm surprised I didn't poop my pants but that method of picking up the bike works

Well since the Police refuse to do anything about the guy and small claims is a waste of time, I may as well post the video.
Sorry, no Benny Hill music. I kinda don't want to make light of something that isn't really funny to me at all. The fact he's getting away with it and I have to go through all this trouble because some 48 year old Portuguese guy doesn't know how to drive, doesn't make me want to laugh.
Maybe when all this is done, but not at the moment.

You can see in the first few seconds of the footage he clearly sees and looks at my bike. So he knew it was there. :angry5: ...and he had plenty of space.

[video=youtube_share;NGm8bsCGLfo]https://youtu.be/NGm8bsCGLfo[/video]

Also, because friends and family watched the video and asked how I picked up the bike when this dude couldn't, I also have the footage of me picking up the bike.

https://youtu.be/jrP4TLg1jNU

I'm surprised I didn't poop my pants but that method of picking up the bike works

WOW, that is just not right......I wonder how many more vehicles he has clipped, due to his inability to drive.....his spatial awareness SUCKS.....

As far as small claims court goes, file a claim, what have you got to lose, make his life as miserable as you can, claim the max amount, and see what happens, it might cost you a day or 2 of your time....

Last edited:
WOW, that is just not right......I wonder how many more vehicles he has clipped, due to his inability to drive.....his spatial awareness SUCKS.....

Agreed.

As far as small claims court goes, file a claim, what have you got to lose, make his life as miserable as you can, claim the max amount, and see what happens, it might cost you a day or 2 of your time....

Would I even be able to claim any money considering the insurance is "paying out" for his stupidity?

Would I even be able to claim any money considering the insurance is "paying out" for his stupidity?

If what insurance is paying out doesn’t cover the cost of making you whole on the full cost of the repairs, plus arguably maybe a bit of the time involved (IE a lost day of work dealing with it all), then yes, I’d think you have a pretty solid claim. You may also be able to add in some depreciation costs now that the bike will have a carproof claim showing against it as well.

Worth the $100 or whatever it costs to file a small claims suit, IMHO. I’m not usually a litigious sort, but that guy is a tool. I have no sympathy for hit and run idiots.

Hmmm....well I'll see how the insurance process goes and when it's all over I'll take it from there.

EDIT: Though reading through the small claims website it looks like more trouble than its worth

Last edited:
Hmmm....well I'll see how the insurance process goes and when it's all over I'll take it from there.

EDIT: Though reading through the small claims website it looks like more trouble than its worth

It's Your insurance process! it will go the way you make it go.
:| Then once you sign off on it his insurance company will wash their hands of it and you will Have to take it from there.

imho you won't be able to sue him for squat, his stupidity is his liability and his liability insurance rates need to see an increase.

Without quoting posts I'm gonna throw in some comments:
Glad it worked out @Slowbird

Best way to pick up a bike. Guy from one of the GoldWing clubs showed me that method at a show years ago.

That guy seriously cannot drive.

And now to be the @$$ that I sometimes am....
When I lived in a condo in irked me to no end when residents used the visitor parking as their own personal spots.
I don't *think* that is the case with the OP, but it obviously is with the F150 driver as it was noted that his truck was there regularly.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

It's Your insurance process! it will go the way you make it go.

That's not my experience.

I will try my damnedest to make sure I get what I need from this claim, but I have had experiences in the past where 0% at fault claims have come back to bite me in the ***.

Back
Top Bottom