My bike was hit in a parking lot | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike was hit in a parking lot

Had a delivery truck knock my bike over before. Another rider got a call to me thru my co-worker he knew. Got the delivery driver's info and went thru insurance. It was a good thing the other rider was there.

Great outcome op.

Also it's nice to know that if I don't like someone, I can slash their tires, break their windows, and steal loot in their car without police caring if it's in a parking lot.

....that's what this sounds like right?

I called it back on page 1 , not much luck with a leaving the scene charge, and "mischief" , not likely .

I've been through exactly this when my wife's bike was backed over in a parking lot. Had a plate #, and a witness. The car owner paid in full for all damages, in cash, but it was a not a conventional settling.

Some officers don't want to make the effort if they don't have to. Try a few different officer and mention your police friend. Or better yet, call 911 for an officer to come to the parking lot so they're on call and will make a report. Say someone hit your bike and ran. But you got the plate number and you need an assistance from a police officer. I know someone who's car was hit and the driver took off she called 911 and 2 officers went to the other driver house and get all the info and give her the report for insurance. It's a parking lot incident I doubt he'll get a ticket but at least you get an accident report. Hopefully that'll affect his insurance.

911 is for F'n Life and Death Emergencies! DO NOT tie up those lines with general calls to the police service FFS!

In your friends case, I am sure she called them just after it happened, so that's understandable for that type of incident. This incident was in a parking lot and no one's life was in danger.
From the Toronto Police Website:

If you require Police assistance, but are not in an emergency situation (e.g. Reporting thefts, vandalism, fraud) or for other situations where no person or property is in immediate danger, please call our non-emergency telephone number 416-808-2222.

911 is for F'n Life and Death Emergencies! DO NOT tie up those lines with general calls to the police service FFS!

In your friends case, I am sure she called them just after it happened, so that's understandable for that type of incident. This incident was in a parking lot and no one's life was in danger.

I believe OP is a 911 Operator
and would likely agree with this wholeheartedly

in certain situations I think's possible to also eat a charge for 911 abuse

If you require Police assistance, but are not in an emergency situation (e.g. Reporting thefts, vandalism, fraud) or for other situations where no person or property is in immediate danger, please call our non-emergency telephone number 416-808-2222.

And if in Mississauga and surrounding area call

Peel Police Non Emergency telephone number - 905-453-3311

To the OP, hope the repairs work out OK even if there are no charges against the truck driver. Similar thing happened in Ottawa. I was in a parking look walking up to my bike when I saw a car sideswipe another car while backing out of their parking sport. The driver slowed down a little then gunned it out of the lot. I managed to get a picture of the driver and the license plate. It was a small parking lot and as I was writing a note to let the owner of the damaged car know they came out to find their car damaged (probably under $2K). Told him I saw it happen and gave him my info and offered to send the photos to him. He said he'd call the Police and let me know. About 3 hrs later the police called me. Told them what I had witnessed and e-mailed them the photos. The driver of the damaged car called a few hours later and said the Police spoke to the driver and they said they hadn't realized they hit another car (that's why they gunned it out of the lot). Long story short the Police wouldn't do anything because it was in a parking lot. Best the owner could do would be to pursue it through insurance.

I wonder what would happen if someone knocked over a police motorcycle in a timmi's parking lot...then took off ????

Sorry for the late reply. Been dealing with insurance. I’ll post the video in a bit. Stay tuned.

Things are looking bleak. Even though the damage is minor and only cosmetic (no frame damage) they are thinking it’ll be a total loss.
I’m furious and I’m hoping it won’t be.

Next step is to get it somewhere for an official appraisal as the independent guy who came to my place and took pictures of my bike doesn’t have accurate prices.

I’m having a fit because this will be the 2nd VFR Id have written off because of some cager when the bike is mechanically sound.

Wouldn't you just take the payout and keep it on the road? I've had a write off before due to cosmetics. Took the payout and fixed what was needed to be functional. Then you won't be worried about minor scratches, etc. :)

Sorry for the late reply. Been dealing with insurance. I’ll post the video in a bit. Stay tuned.

Things are looking bleak. Even though the damage is minor and only cosmetic (no frame damage) they are thinking it’ll be a total loss.
I’m furious and I’m hoping it won’t be.

Next step is to get it somewhere for an official appraisal as the independent guy who came to my place and took pictures of my bike doesn’t have accurate prices.

I’m having a fit because this will be the 2nd VFR Id have written off because of some cager when the bike is mechanically sound.

Sorry Matt, but in this case it's the only outcome of them approving your claim. I don't know what bikes they actually do fix, but the threshold for write-off is pretty low. If it looks like you could easily fix it, buy it back from them and use the payout to buy the parts you need. I personally would not bother with a second appraisal of the "wreck" as I doubt the outcome will be different

Wouldn't you just take the payout and keep it on the road? I've had a write off before due to cosmetics. Took the payout and fixed what was needed to be functional. Then you won't be worried about minor scratches, etc. :)
Never had to deal with a write off, and hopefully never will ... But curious, they let you keep the bike?

I thought these written off bikes/cars end up at insurance auctions.

You generally have an opportunity to buy it back... sometimes that window is very short though. You buy it back at the salvage value of the bike, so typically you still get a good payout

Sometimes they give you a complete write off quote and/or an amount that lets you keep the bike. Though it is no longer covered for full replacement until you show it's been fully repaired. Not an issue if you only carry liability and have the offending party's insurance info.

Interesting that you can buy it back from the insurance and carry on, third party buys from the insurance auction and gets a branded salvage title.

Yeah, it's not a perfect system

Interesting that you can buy it back from the insurance and carry on, third party buys from the insurance auction and gets a branded salvage title.

I thought they didn't always brand? Something along the lines of they brand if it is a safety write-off like frame damage, but a cosmetic write-off keeps a clear title. I'm not sure if that is consistently done or not though.

I thought they didn't always brand? Something along the lines of they brand if it is a safety write-off like frame damage, but a cosmetic write-off keeps a clear title. I'm not sure if that is consistently done or not though.

Thats something I'd like clarification on as well, I have bought cars with extensive frame damage and put them back on the road, but it was also a number of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom