My bike was hit in a parking lot | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike was hit in a parking lot

Mischief is actually under the criminal code not the HTA. Its a fairly serious charge ulthough it sounds like a kiddie charge.

what a butt head...walks right by the bike, then runs into it
dude clearly has driving difficulties....good outcome OP, congrats

If there is a possibility of this ending up in court (and I'd say there is), don't post the video until after the case is done.

Grrr. This is why my bike is always within sight if it's not locked away.

Just wanted to make a comment.. One of the reasons I had installed a bike alarm with pager was not only to Deter theft , but for "parking hit and run situations" like this and curious 'bike sitters' . The idea would be that if knocked over the alert would go out to me and also the alarm would scream out, hopefully attracting attention to anyone nearby.. They may get a licence plate if The driver took off, or possible that the guilty party would not take off now and wait, etc. I remember others posting similar events years ago when having bikes knocked over.

Good job OP on the following up On this. Hope it works out ok.

Last edited:
If there is a possibility of this ending up in court (and I'd say there is), don't post the video until after the case is done.

Grrr. This is why my bike is always within sight if it's not locked away.
Genuinely curious, why is it not advisable to post the video in such situations ?

Hey folks.

So I got the video surveillance. Couldn't ask for a better angle. Clearly shows the dude walk by, look at my bike, hop into his truck, and then with his wheels cranked all the way to the right he hits my bike.

He then stops and tries to pick up my bike, fails miserable...probably does more damage while dropping it over and over again. he walks back to the truck...stops....turns around and tries again. Fails miserably again.

He then high tails it out of there.

My insurance has been notified. They says it'll be 100% his fault. I'll send them the video, but I have to re-return to the collision reporting center to get the rest of the other drivers info because he's not sending me his name or insurance company number....but it should be on the police report.
While I'm there I'll show an officer the video and see what they say about charges. An officer friend of mine that saw the video said he thinks "Mischief Over" might be more likely.

sorry no. Mischief over is highly doubtful. Hard to show intent deliberately causing damage to your bike. Parking lot crash and he reported it: probably no charges.

and he reported it: probably no charges.

No, he didn’t. Should probably re-read the first few posts.

But I agree that charges are unlikely. At least he can safely work with insurance now knowing he’s not going to take a financial hit for someone’s hit-and-run.

Well if he didn’t then and there is more than 2000 combined damages, the only charge I can think of that will apply is failing to report a collision under the HTA. one of he only hta charges that apply on or off the highway. 110 dollars and 3 points. After all is said and done.

So I just got back from the reporting center.
The clerks wouldn’t give me the other drivers info from the report he made. I had to talk to one of the officers to get it.

I then spoke to them about the accident. About how he took off and I had to track him down days later and convince him to report it.
...and how he still hadn’t given me his full information and I had to come to the reporting center to get it.
...and how I had this awesome video showing how he clearly sees the bike, runs it down and then tries to pick it up before bailing.

Guess how much ***** the officers gave. Yup, you guessed it...none.

They don’t wanna see the video.
They don’t want to lay any charges. Just a whole lot of “there’s nothing we can do” BS.

So there ya have it folks. You hit a car in a parking lot in Toronto and bolt, there are Zero repercussions when it comes to the law.

I gotta say I’m pretty disappointed.

Not surprising the cops aren't interested...they are understaffed, often overworked, and have bigger fish to fry. Sad, but true - it's the same reason you see a general lack of speed and traffic law enforcement across the province - staffing levels and workload just don't leave time for it with few exceptions, both the OPP and local forces.

But here will still be repercussions for him...a 100% at-fault on his insurance record. Arguably that will hurt a lot more as it'll follow him for quite a few years and likely cost him thousands in increased premiums. A $150 ticket and a few points is easy to just brush off.

Personally, I don't see a reason to not share the video unless you were planning on suing him or something, but it seems evident at this point that it's going to be a fairly easy open and shut insurance claim without any need to pursue it any further. If you send it to me I'll dub the Benny Hill theme song over it for you LOL.

Yeah, if there was some question around the possibility of impaired they're gonna pursue that one....

No not impaired at all, happened at 10am in sunny weather. He hit a parked car in the parking lot of a grocery store and drove away. Cops showed up at his door and asked for drivers licence and insurance. Somebody took down his licence plates. I dont know why cops pursue some things and not other ones. For stolen bikes in basements they dont even show up,

I dont know why cops pursue some things and not other ones.

Because whoever witnessed it and called it in probably suggested that perhaps he was possibly drunk, or was driving like it was possible.

Call in a possible impaired driver and the police WILL react...even if it turns out the driver wasn't actually impaired after the fact.

No not impaired at all, happened at 10am in sunny weather. He hit a parked car in the parking lot of a grocery store and drove away. Cops showed up at his door and asked for drivers licence and insurance. Somebody took down his licence plates. I dont know why cops pursue some things and not other ones. For stolen bikes in basements they dont even show up,

Or he hit someone with a close relationship to an officer.

The clerks wouldn’t give me the other drivers info from the report he made. I had to talk to one of the officers to get it.

I then spoke to them about the accident. About how he took off and I had to track him down days later and convince him to report it.
...and how he still hadn’t given me his full information and I had to come to the reporting center to get it.
...and how I had this awesome video showing how he clearly sees the bike, runs it down and then tries to pick it up before bailing.

They don’t want to lay any charges. Just a whole lot of “there’s nothing we can do” BS.

So there ya have it folks. You hit a car in a parking lot in Toronto and bolt, there are Zero repercussions when it comes to the law.

would be great if you presented these things during a city council meeting...and ask them is this correct procedure? during a public meeting on the record.
lmao corner em. I've known some cops and none were overworked, on the contrary-they abused the system and bragged about collecting overtime while doing personal things. 100k a year, disgusting. whew had to vent lol. great outcome for the op-many are not so fortunate to have video.

would be great if you presented these things during a city council meeting...and ask them is this correct procedure? during a public meeting on the record.
lmao corner em. I've known some cops and none were overworked, on the contrary-they abused the system and bragged about collecting overtime while doing personal things. 100k a year, disgusting. whew had to vent lol. great outcome for the op-many are not so fortunate to have video.

thats a good point. Remember when that Ragu fellow tried that insurance scam on the WRX driver a few years ago? cops brushed him off etc. Then he posted the video, it got some traction in the media, and then the cops were forced to follow up and do their job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Hv2TQpNbs

Some officers don't want to make the effort if they don't have to. Try a few different officer and mention your police friend. Or better yet, call 911 for an officer to come to the parking lot so they're on call and will make a report. Say someone hit your bike and ran. But you got the plate number and you need an assistance from a police officer. I know someone who's car was hit and the driver took off she called 911 and 2 officers went to the other driver house and get all the info and give her the report for insurance. It's a parking lot incident I doubt he'll get a ticket but at least you get an accident report. Hopefully that'll affect his insurance.

Some officers don't want to make the effort if they don't have to. Try a few different officer and mention your police friend. Or better yet, call 911 for an officer to come to the parking lot so they're on call and will make a report.

Calling 911 and trying to report an accident that was already reported and filed a week ago probably isn't going to go over very well.

IMHO it's not worth pursuing trying to get the guy charged - it may just potentially create even more animosity and next thing you know your bike is getting knocked over in the middle of the night over and over again by guys with their faces conveniently hidden from the cameras, or it's getting shoved into the back of a van with stolen/no plates.

I would take the avenue of least effort and frustration at this point, call my insurance company, get bike fixed, be thankful for 0% at fault, and move on. Like I said in an earlier response, he's getting his just desserts to some extent with a 100% at fault claim on his insurance record.

Or better yet, call 911 for an officer to come to the parking lot so they're on call and will make a report.

I'm not sure Slowbird will appreciate that suggestion lol

Back
Top Bottom