My bike was hit in a parking lot | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My bike was hit in a parking lot

Update:

So the note I left on the dudes truck seemed to have worked. Later the same day I got a text asking if I was the owner of the bike. Fast Forward past me convincing him it was in his best interest to go to the collision reporting center and make the report....he has sent me a picture of his Insurance slip (minus his name and the insurance company), and tonight I called and confirmed with the reporting center that he has indeed reported the accident to the police.

Either guilt or the worry of me knowing what he drives and where he likes to park made him throw in the towel.

So I have his insurance info, and the accident report number (its the same as mine). The accident report will have all his info on it, but they (the police) won't give me a copy of it so I can't see what he wrote in the report, or whether he told the truth that he hit a bike that was parked in the adjacent spot. So I have no guarantee that if I go through insurance it won't be 100% his fault, right?

I guess I should hold out till Tuesday until I get the video recording?

Doesn't really matter, at this point, about your informing insurance. They already have the info because the collision has been reported. When I was sideswiped and called my insurer, based solely upon what the other driver had written in his report they had deemed ME 100% at fault, (without even speaking to or advising me that they knew I had been involved in a collision)!! So my advice is speak to your insurer, your insurance record may already be showing you as at fault for the claim, (despite none being made). I NEVER filed, nor would have for my sideswipe as the contact was made on my highway bar, (Chrome), so I simply wiped the paint from the other vehicle off... Had I NOT spoken to the insurer, I would have had an AT FAULT, on my record!! Imagine if it had been at renewal, the chances of me having the video would have been slim to none.

Once, I sent them the GoPro footage of the contact they cleared my insurance record and advised the other driver's insurer he was indeed 100% at fault.

As for a charge of Failure to Remain. Won't be happening. It occurred on private property, as such it is NOT subjected to the HTA. Even if it were laid even a paralegal could convince the crown to dismiss the charge.

I agree with Hedo, time to call your insurance company and calmly and directly lay out your case. You don't want the other guy trying to spin a tale that somehow places you at even 1% blame in the matter.

Make sure to mention that it was a hit and run and that you hopefully have video footage of it all. Also take note of anyone and everyone you spoke to about the situation (IE, witnesses) as that can also build a case for you for some strange reason the video footage doesn't pan out.

Bit of a common misconception here fellas.

When you report an accident to the police the insurance do not know about it. I used to have to explain that to people all the time when I worked for the police.

Insurance doesn’t know until you tell them.

So I don’t know whether or not the other guy has called his insurance yet.

Bit of a common misconception here fellas.

When you report an accident to the police the insurance do not know about it. I used to have to explain that to people all the time when I worked for the police.

So I don’t know whether or not the other guy has called his insurance yet.

That's assuming he hasn't already called *his* insurance company.

And I could be wrong, but I do believe that as soon as a collision is registered now there is now some sort of tie-in that gives a heads up to the related insurance companies.

That's assuming he hasn't already called *his* insurance company.

Yes. If someone reports it to the insurance then the Insurance will know, but that wasn't what was said.

I am referring to this:

Doesn't really matter, at this point, about your informing insurance. They already have the info because the collision has been reported.

...and that is wrong. It's a common misconception. Even when I was reporting my collision the cop there was trying to explain it to people making reports. The police and their reports have nothing to do with your insurance. Not until one of the parties informs the insurance company of the report.

And I could be wrong, but I do believe that as soon as a collision is registered now there is now some sort of tie-in that gives a heads up to the related insurance companies.

No that's incorrect as well. If you get in a collision and no one informs the insurances they won't know.
If there is no claim they won't know.

Last edited:
199(1) applies anywhere in Ontario, on the highway, or off. There is an obligation to report a collision so long as there is more than 2000 worth of damage or injury. Just FYI, if he doesnt report it forthwith to a police officer, it's a 110 dollar fine and 3 points.

"Bit of a common misconception here fellas.

So I don’t know whether or not the other guy has called his insurance yet."

Correct, but incorrect. All the insurance company needs to do is do an audit with the MTO and it will show if you were involved in a collision...

All I'd like to say is good luck. It sounds like a really terrible situation none of us ever want to get into.

Keep insisting on getting the video, don't let them give you the run around.

You have to be persistent otherwise they will forget about it or think you moved on.

Try to document everything as much as possible.

Hopefully you get this resolved and get 100% confirmation for the person responsible.

Doesn't really matter, at this point, about your informing insurance. They already have the info because the collision has been reported. When I was sideswiped and called my insurer, based solely upon what the other driver had written in his report they had deemed ME 100% at fault, (without even speaking to or advising me that they knew I had been involved in a collision)!! So my advice is speak to your insurer, your insurance record may already be showing you as at fault for the claim, (despite none being made). I NEVER filed, nor would have for my sideswipe as the contact was made on my highway bar, (Chrome), so I simply wiped the paint from the other vehicle off... Had I NOT spoken to the insurer, I would have had an AT FAULT, on my record!! Imagine if it had been at renewal, the chances of me having the video would have been slim to none.

Once, I sent them the GoPro footage of the contact they cleared my insurance record and advised the other driver's insurer he was indeed 100% at fault.

As for a charge of Failure to Remain. Won't be happening. It occurred on private property, as such it is NOT subjected to the HTA. Even if it were laid even a paralegal could convince the crown to dismiss the charge.

I was under the impression that hit / run was chargeable even on private property. The careless driving or whatever that caused the damage was not chargeable but leaving the scene was.

Can someone clarify?

If it isn't then it becomes a total free for all at the mall.

Slowbird,

Do you own or rent? If it's the latter the PM won't necessarily give you full attention as you have no say at an annual general meeting of the owners where the PM's lack of interest might work against them.

Slowbird,
Did you end up getting any footage? Although you know who it was, I'd assume you would want to see exactly how it happened. It's Tuesday and the footage is now available right? :)

Good luck with 'leaving the scene' , its a parking lot accident not a road incident. That's why the police aren't very interested.

That's weird my uncle hit a car in a parking lot too and two hours later the cops came knocking on his door giving him s***.

You seem to be implying that someone could go around bumping into other vehicles and there would be nothing people could do... Unless you're referring to only the Failure to Remain charge.

Under the criminal code, they could be charged with mischief..

Hey folks.

So I got the video surveillance. Couldn't ask for a better angle. Clearly shows the dude walk by, look at my bike, hop into his truck, and then with his wheels cranked all the way to the right he hits my bike.

He then stops and tries to pick up my bike, fails miserable...probably does more damage while dropping it over and over again. he walks back to the truck...stops....turns around and tries again. Fails miserably again.

He then high tails it out of there.

My insurance has been notified. They says it'll be 100% his fault. I'll send them the video, but I have to re-return to the collision reporting center to get the rest of the other drivers info because he's not sending me his name or insurance company number....but it should be on the police report.
While I'm there I'll show an officer the video and see what they say about charges. An officer friend of mine that saw the video said he thinks "Mischief Over" might be more likely.

Last edited:
so-much-awesome-meme.jpg

Can you post the entire video here for bonus GTAM goodness points?

Edit: On a different note, that's some epic level of complete and total idiocy not being able to get out of THAT parking space without running over a motorcycle you clearly knew was there.

Back
Top Bottom