Attempting to do front brake pads - Page 3



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Attempting to do front brake pads

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    429

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    had a few minutes to kill, here's the bedding-in procedure from EBC:
    note the time it takes to complete the break-in, 1000 - 1500 MILES
    that could take 5 years for some riders

    9) Bedding in EBC pads

    In Street use situations …

    Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.

    Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.

    A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

    NEVER attempt to sand or scotchbrite brake pads to assist it bedding in or noise reduction,this will only make things worse by taking the pads “Off-Flat” and require hundreds of miles driving to seat them again during which time the brakes will feel very dull. The only way to seat pads is against the rotor they will be used on and by following our bedding recommendation.
    Jesus Christ!....does everyone that uses EBC Pads ever do all of this? I thought scrubbing in new tires was bad. I read this, and completely forgot what they were saying because there seems to be so much to it
    I have already "broke the rules" of their so called bedding procedure.
    Thanks for the info though! I will start the procedure over again I guess.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    6,030

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by arogal View Post
    Jesus Christ!....does everyone that uses EBC Pads ever do all of this? I thought scrubbing in new tires was bad. I read this, and completely forgot what they were saying because there seems to be so much to it
    I have already "broke the rules" of their so called bedding procedure.
    Thanks for the info though! I will start the procedure over again I guess.
    I've done the hot bedding procedure with cars (5 consecutive 60-10 mph followed by 5 minutes of driving with no brakes), but never on a bike. It smells bad but works well on cars.

  3. #43
    TwistedKestrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    5,249

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Those bedding instructions are usually printed on the blister pack the pads came in, at least they used to be
    2006 Honda CB919
    "Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things." -Douglas Adams

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    429

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Those bedding instructions are usually printed on the blister pack the pads came in, at least they used to be
    Ya there were bedding instructions on the back of my brake pad package.....but not nearly as detailed as this.
    Any who, I am just going to ride my bike as is. Bike is stopping on a dime. I'll give em some time for the squealing to stop...and if it doesn't I will take pads out and sand em down. Not the end of the world, just a bit irritating. For what it's worth, not much to stress about because they are braking fantastic. I'm over it LOL!

  5. #45
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,908

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    only part of that I'd take seriously is this
    I'd do it twice like they say
    then ride and forget about the rest of it

    apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row



  6. #46

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Same logic with new runners on a sled.
    You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle!
    Dan Aykroyd

    Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 2000 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
    Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
    Future Ride:KTM 790 Twin or Yamaha T7

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    429

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    only part of that I'd take seriously is this
    I'd do it twice like they say
    then ride and forget about the rest of it

    apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row


    Indeed I did! Almost as bad as my friend that did his brake pads and didn't push the brake lever 3-5 times for the pistons to get in position....that could have ended very bad

  8. #48

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    I like the Galfer break-in instructions way better:
    "Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

    ... but to be honest I just ride them like I just put new pads on and after about 3 days I usually just forget about em.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    429

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I like the Galfer break-in instructions way better:
    "Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

    ... but to be honest I just ride them like I just put new pads on and after about 3 days I usually just forget about em.
    That's a bit more straight forward lol! Yep, I'm just going to forget about it and ride like I always have. It will all work itself out

  10. #50
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,908

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    I tend to think you're right, it will work out

    in my industry - mining and construction equipment
    we call it burnishing, it's the same procedure, just bigger-heavier stuff

    reason we do it on heavy euipment is that new brakes just don't stop well without it
    if you're stopping fine I think the new pads will bed in just fine from normal riding

  11. #51
    Moderator Wingboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    4,444

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Gee i wonder why the front brake is so noisy?
    Before.(new wheel bearings while i'm at it.

    Shiny.

    Rotor hone.

    Not shiny.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

    2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

  12. #52
    Baggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!
    Posts
    7,319

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Doing rear brake pads and rotor on my bike, some parts of it seem to be easier as a two man job.


    Now I'm waiting on a new rear tire.
    Last edited by Baggsy; 08-08-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

    Everyone likes to think that they may be the smartest person in the room, but sometimes that only occurs when we're alone!

  13. #53

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Where do you get brake fluid from?
    Moto branded stuff or just use Dot4 stuff from CanTire?
    I need to do a flush and have time to do it today, so I'd rather buy it in person locally (Mississauga area)
    Thanks!

    Edit: saw that Corsa Motocicletta has Motul Dot 5.1 and I've never been there, so going to check it out!
    Last edited by shanekingsley; 08-11-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  14. #54

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Well after 6 years and 140,000km I finally changed my brake fluid.
    What a difference!

    And Corsa Motocicletta is a nice shop.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  15. #55
    Riceburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Stuck in Reality
    Posts
    7,211

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Well after 6 years and 140,000km I finally changed my brake fluid....
    Yer kiddin' right?

  16. #56

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    I should be, but I'm not!
    There's a few things I'm a little behind on, but slowly getting caught up.
    Lol
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    429

    Re: Attempting to do front brake pads

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Where do you get brake fluid from?
    Moto branded stuff or just use Dot4 stuff from CanTire?
    I need to do a flush and have time to do it today, so I'd rather buy it in person locally (Mississauga area)
    Thanks!
    Edit: saw that Corsa Motocicletta has Motul Dot 5.1 and I've never been there, so going to check it out!
    While you are there you may as well grab some Motul 7100 10W-40 for $60. He doesn't bring in a whack load and sells quick sometimes. Great price, and its local!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •