Tiger tames the Trans-Lab!

Thread: Tiger tames the Trans-Lab!

Tiger tames the Trans-Lab!

Off to St. John's, Newfoundland via the Trans-Labrador Highway. I'll try to post daily updates, though the lack of wifi and/or cell coverage will be a challenge.

Hoping for great fun and adventure. Come along for the ride!

Day 1, Tuesday July 10 Pickering, Ontario to Levis, QC. 811km.

Lovely weather to begin the day from Pickering, Ontario. Little traffic on the 401. I took a short detour on the Long Sault Parkway, just east of Morrisburg, which runs across a string of about a dozen islands in the St. Lawrence River. Darkening skies approaching Cornwall, then sudden and torrential rain on the other side. Visibility became very difficult. After fifteen minutes or so, all clear. With no rain gear on, I was thoroughly soaked, but it didn't bother. I dried out soon enough under the hot sun.

Still stubbornly refusing to use GPS, I expected navigation through Montreal to be tricky. It looks pretty straight forward on the paper map, but things quickly went sour. Somehow I managed to screw myself by taking the Champlain bridge and wound up on the south shore. Traffic was brutal, construction everywhere. This proved to be quite costly in terms of time.

I had made arrangements to meet my friend Jeff in Berthieville to visit the Gilles Villeneuve museum. He rode in on his BMW K1300. A small museum, thankfully not Disneyfied, it was time well spent. So much history that any Canadian racing would surely appreciate.

We had dinner together, where, thanks to my total lack of knowledge of the French language, I received something quite different to what I was expecting. No matter, it filled the void.

Now seven o'clock, we parted ways and I headed for Levis, QC, where I was to meet my brother Harry and his girlfriend Wendy. They will accompany me to St. John's. Harry is on his 2004 R1150GS, Wendy is riding a new to her 2007 F650GS. By the way, I'm aboard my used and abused, but ever faithful 2002 Tiger 955i.

I arrived as darkness fell, Harry welcoming me with a cold beer. We're spending the night at vacant house which belongs to a friend of Wendy.

Tomorrow: Baie-Comeau, QC

via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jayell; 07-11-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Jayell: 2011 Triumph Thruxton - The Jewel, 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i - The Mule. Mrs. Jayell: 2013 Honda CB500F
    Alaska 2016 Ride Report: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-Vacation-time

Re: Tiger tames the Trans-Lab!

Day 2, Wednesday July 11, Levis, QC, to Les Escoumins, QC. 287km.

Sometimes things don't work out as planned. Harry was unhappy with some unfamiliar noise coming from his boxer's valve train, so off to the local Canadian Tire for a set of feeler gauges. With the GS in pieces, he rode Wendy's 650. Was it bad luck or good that the battery on Wendy's bike failed while at the Crappy Tire? In any case, now there were two BMWs to repair. Meanwhile, the Triumph waited patiently. Once all was said and done, we'd lost half the day, finally moving at 12:30pm.

Across the river to Quebec City, then east along the north shore of the St. Lawrence River on Hwy. 138. We detoured on #362, which hugs the shoreline and passes through tiny and charming towns. No troubles with the French language; everyone is friendly and helpful, though it helps if we at least make an initial effort in French. As well, Wendy is fluent and bails us out when we run into difficulty.

Back on 138 where we took the Baie-Sainte-Catherine to Tadoussac ferry across the Saguenay River. It's a brief ride, very efficient service, and the price is right! We rode a bit further, then called it a day at a small motel in Les Escoumins.

Tomorrow: We head north!

via Tapatalk
    Jayell: 2011 Triumph Thruxton - The Jewel, 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i - The Mule. Mrs. Jayell: 2013 Honda CB500F
    Alaska 2016 Ride Report: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-Vacation-time

Yay, another Jayell adventure tale! Going the other direction this time.
    Stay safe,looking forward to these recaps and photos, hopefully no snow when you get to Newfoundland

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Nothing says Learning like road rash and lost dignity!

Cool - kicked up some nice memories - going to the East Coast we came via Rouyn Noranda and avoided Montreal entirely ...then along the north shore going up the Saguenay loop. Rainy and wet tho and then rainy and cold.
    Bit earlier in the year. Good luck.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a

Looks like it will be a great ride. Thanks for the pictures.

Btw, I have met and ridden with Harry on his XR650L at the Ganny. Good guy and good rider.

Following! Enjoy. Looking forward to the updates.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map