Custom mixed paint question for the paint Guru’s | GTAMotorcycle.com

Custom mixed paint question for the paint Guru’s

Clem

I bought a little YSR80 many years ago and I’m going to have some time over this fall and winter to try and fix it up. I bought a fairing and a seat from Airtech a few years back and have already fitted it to the bike but I’d like to get it painted.

Its hopefully going to look like this when done. It is the first paint scheme I think off when someone mentions Yamaha

http://www.finishingtouch4u.com/images/ysr1.jpg

I’m having problems finding the Marlboro Dayglo paint. I’ve googled, tried a number of local auto paint shops and short of having something shipped from the UK - which seems almost impossible as it’s a hazardous material - I can’t find anything.

I also have nothing to scan for a match and was told that its not possible to do from an image on a phone or tablet.

Supposedly the colour that Yamaha used was RAL3024…

http://ralcolors.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ral3024.jpg

Is it possible to have paint mixed based on a RAL colour. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have someone that can spray it if I can get the paint

Thanks

Last edited:
I’ve built a few replicas in my time.

If you can find a Sikkens dealer in Canada they have the code and can look it up,on their computer. I’ll also get it for you when I get home.

The other thing - and I know this sounds crazy - is hiroboy-zero model paints https://www.hiroboy.com/Mclaren_MP4_Marlboro_Red_Paint_60ml--product--1732.html

It’s not like painting an old Airfix kit when you were young. They do real urethane base coat/clear coat systems and the paint lays down amazingly as it’s for models. Incredibly smooth and no blemishes.

You will probably need 3 bottles for something that size and lay down 4 or 5 thin coats over a white base. Do it with a small touch up gun as it’s quite thin. It will probably be cheaper than buying a pint of Sikkens. Then coat it with a good automotive clear like PPG. It’s a spot on match and you can buy it from amazon.

Good luck with the project and post a picture when you’re finished

if you give that computer sample to a photo quality printer how close does it print to color? Unless its been well set up it may be a shade or 9 out but now the paint company has a sample to scan for mixing if its close enough.

Just thinking out loud

Thanks all.

Crankcall, I did try printing a swatch of RAL3024 on my printer at home and it didn't look right. I even tried photo paper and it was better but it still looked a little yellow. Its only a cheap Canon 5600 so it may not be calibrated correctly. I'll see if we have anything better at work.

Delboy, its an interesting approach. My only experience with model paint is Humbrol Enamels and a brush when I was a kid. From reading the information on their site they do supply real basecoat/clearcoat systems. Who knew? its definitely an option. Also if you can find the Sikkens code I could maybe try to cross reference it with PPG although that may be a bit of a long shot

Thank you Gentlemen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom