Adios! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adios!

The yellow sure gets noticed that is for sure!

The head lights appear to use actual candles to illuminate a few feet in front of the car. I think my mountain bike has better lighting. Lol.

It’s a different experience from motorcycling.

Can’t say it’s better in anyway. Just different.

I do think it’s safer than a motorcycle generally speaking.

However, it’s still a small and low car. Caution will be taken when driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun, motoring and Ontario are hard to put in the same sentence. I was at the Renforth / Rathburn M/C crash yesterday when the rider was still laying on the ground seeping blood. It leaves an uneasy feeling in the stomach.

A convertible IMO is ahead of the trike / Spyder things but it's getting to the point that cocooning is looking like an option.

Vulnerability is not a good feeling.

Good luck with the "B" and let us know how it works out.

Adding a bit, if I gave up the bike a sporty car would be a nice replacement but...........

My vintage choice in order of out and out appeal would be Healy 3000, then MB 280SL, TR-6, MGB

Healy 3000 and MB price themselves out of the market for me.

A TR-6 can be had for less than the price of a new funish Hyundai, an MGB a bit less?

The downside is the lack of flexibility. Unlike a modern car long trips can be a challenge and coffee runs aren't my thing, only taking it out on perfect days.

I had a Cavalier convertible a few years back and sort of enjoyed it but the windshield shape was so swept back that unless one looked up the view wasn't much different than a coupe. The convertible feature was only a real plus on early morning or evening country drives. I rarely use the sun roof on the Elantra

I have decided I don't want to own a museum or restoration garage so I end up with the usual blah list. Giving up the bike would leave a serious void.

Back in the '70s I drove my buddy's MGB from Edmonton to Kingston and back again. They are not designed for long distance driving like that. I think my back still hurts from those runs.

Why specifically Truck lite? Are they better than other LED headlights?

I have truck lite brand in my wrangler and a friend with a similar MGB saw them and bought some for his car and is still raving about them 3 years later.The styling and design of the reflector work well with the MGB lines IMHO.
Another big plus is that the lights are street legal and not likely to piss off other drivers.
Happy motoring.

I have truck lite brand in my wrangler and a friend with a similar MGB saw them and bought some for his car and is still raving about them 3 years later.The styling and design of the reflector work well with the MGB lines IMHO.
Another big plus is that the lights are street legal and not likely to piss off other drivers.
Happy motoring.

Thanks. The mini still has the "candles" as nakkers so accurately described them (and they are for RHD so the pattern is backwards). I don't drive it that much at night, but headlights for the right price are always on the potential upgrade list.

Did a run from St Kitts to London to pick up my 9 year old.

It doesn’t have the optional OD so, I kept it at 100/105 kph and it ran just fine.

MGBs are the bargain man’s Brit car with over half a million produced.

Others in the vintage/Classics are a little more spendy and can be a little more tricky to tune and keep sorted. i e Triumph TRs and the like.

Folks that want to put miles on the freeway, there is no substitute for the MX5/Miata unless you go MB or similar and again getting up there in $$$

MGBs are dead simple and yes, even the electrics are easy to sort out.

The shocks have had their day and need replacements front and rear and I’d like to get a steering wheel that’s a little more attractive.

Plenty of thumbs up from riders and drivers to and from London. I had to put the top up on the way back as even with sun screen, it was roasting hot.

The car got a little warm when traffic was congested but, never went into the red zone.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is sweet music.

It’s got Bluetooth connectivity and cup holders. No cruise.

Seats are quite comfortable for a fella only 5’8”.

Oil pressure and level remained very good the whole trip. I wouldn’t do the trip often.

It’s an excellent replacement for the Sporty as it’s not a touring machine. They both ride/drive the back roads comfortably.

Still getting used to folks stopping for a chat. What year? I used to have one, nice car. How much? Etc etc.

Hope all had a fun Friday 13th. A few accidents and lots of traffic. Have a great weekend and stay safe.

Cheers.

Sean

FYI. My insurance for the year with tax is $249 with full replacement value of the car. I didn’t need an appraisal. Just some pics and they are good with $13,500.

Dalton Timmis got it through Hagerty’s rated pleasure use.

Historic plate sticker is $18 for the year.

Of course I’m a member of the British Car Club and only use the car for trips to events etc.

The stereo isn’t too powerful to rock out to Foo Fighters but the classics from Bowie and Stones sound excellent. I might have to do some upgrades to enjoy some modern mixed tunes. Lol.

Last edited:
Oddly enough we spent the last month convertible shopping, I couldn't find a TR6 that wasn't cobbled together, The ones I saw that were very nice were not for sale. I looked at a few MGB's , there is a really nice one 3 blocks from my house, 72, genuine knockoff wire wheels, except its 'caramel' the worst color MG ever used, Healy is no longer in my price point for a decent one and older Boxsters are a money pit.

We decided it should be something that could be a daily driver for the Missus and not pay for another car, so go modern was the new deal, looked a newer Boxsters, and MX-5, and the new Fiat 124. The MX-5 RF GT was the short list, retractable hardtop and nice styling and good price point for a sporty car. The Mazda dealers are collectively retarded, after calling 3 to get a test drive, having the Burlington dealer flat out deny there are 2018's with auto availble (stony creek and KW have one but its the wrong color) , then be told there are no 2019's in the pipeline, and find out they have them on order and will be in the showroom in two weeks, but hey look at our unsold 2017's ....... lets sell you one of those......
Decide just for comparison lets go look at BMW, they had a 230i Xdrive convertible , M power package and HarmonKardon sound, best salesman I've talked with in a long time, so BMW convert it shall be.
I love convertibles.

Oddly enough we spent the last month convertible shopping, I couldn't find a TR6 that wasn't cobbled together, The ones I saw that were very nice were not for sale. I looked at a few MGB's , there is a really nice one 3 blocks from my house, 72, genuine knockoff wire wheels, except its 'caramel' the worst color MG ever used, Healy is no longer in my price point for a decent one and older Boxsters are a money pit.

We decided it should be something that could be a daily driver for the Missus and not pay for another car, so go modern was the new deal, looked a newer Boxsters, and MX-5, and the new Fiat 124. The MX-5 RF GT was the short list, retractable hardtop and nice styling and good price point for a sporty car. The Mazda dealers are collectively retarded, after calling 3 to get a test drive, having the Burlington dealer flat out deny there are 2018's with auto availble (stony creek and KW have one but its the wrong color) , then be told there are no 2019's in the pipeline, and find out they have them on order and will be in the showroom in two weeks, but hey look at our unsold 2017's ....... lets sell you one of those......
Decide just for comparison lets go look at BMW, they had a 230i Xdrive convertible , M power package and HarmonKardon sound, best salesman I've talked with in a long time, so BMW convert it shall be.
I love convertibles.

CC,

Post some pics when you take possession!!!!

Just got in from a morning drive to Niagara on-the-Lake for breakfast. The missus was waving back to any and all the gave a wave or thumbs up etc. Think I’ve “converted” the wife to the convertible life. And she thought the colour was too bright? Think it’s growing on her. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thought I’d post some picks of this beauty. I know, I know, this is a motorcycle forum.

I’ve still got my hair in the breeze!!!!

fa7d295a80b8ec369097502edaeb1e66.jpg
e23db6a6b82e9437a491f16b994ef5ec.jpg
147c6877004b97e7001b5fad3944d369.jpg
dddc1a61a85ac165f30d0dff5c168000.jpg

Just thought I’d post some picks of this beauty. I know, I know, this is a motorcycle forum.

I’ve still got my hair in the breeze!!!!

fa7d295a80b8ec369097502edaeb1e66.jpg
e23db6a6b82e9437a491f16b994ef5ec.jpg
147c6877004b97e7001b5fad3944d369.jpg
dddc1a61a85ac165f30d0dff5c168000.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous. Love the colour. Prefer it over British racing green.

About 4 years ago we put my late FILs 78 MGB up for sale. Took a year to get a buyer. Where tf were all of you then?? Lol

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

About 4 years ago we put my late FILs 78 MGB up for sale. Took a year to get a buyer. Where tf were all of you then?? Lol

It's nice to look at, but coming up with the money and garage space for another toy is always a struggle.

Joe,

It’s just timing. Last year I sold my house in London, then my wife sold her house and then we bought a house together.

Then purging belongings from both places, moving the remaining to the new place etc. It was a busy year. I didn’t get a lot of riding in. I lost another friend to a left hand turner that didn’t see him.

The new place has the space. It might have been in the back of my mind when looking for a place? Can’t say for sure. And then I pay for another year of insurance, prep the bike for the road. Just seemed like a lot dough for something that wasn’t getting a lot of use.

I know it’s hard to believe but, I actually like doing things with my wife. I didn’t enjoy riding without her and she wasn’t really digging it. And we looked at other styles. And it wasn’t the bike.

I would have preferred a classic muscle car. Mustang or Vette. But, I’ve always liked little convertibles and leaving the Kijiji page open for my wife, sparked her interest as well. That began the journey.

At first we were looking for VW bugs. The real thing. They have a back seat for the kids and pup etc.

But I came back to basics this was something for the wife and I.

Wine tours, fruit stands, drive in, road trips etc.

The bike wasn’t getting it done and the MG seems to be making a good early impression.

Now it could drop a rod or burn a valve and need a rebuild or something else.

It just seemed to work for us at this time.

Not saying I’m done with bikes. For now, the banana seems to fit the bill and I’ve met a few fella that seem to have made the same decision coming from bikes to cars. While some still ride and drive too. Who know what next year will bring!?!?

I know guys, I'm just playing.
We considered keeping it for ourselves, but I am not a car guy. (unless one day a little red corvette falls into my lap, and you should all know why)
But my one BIL went from a 91 special edition mustang to an S2000 and now a '15 Vette.
My other BIL went from a 65 Stang to a 2016 one.
You are right about timing and @GG about garage space. At the time I had a 9 year old and a toddler. A two seater would have made no sense. Heck, even my neighbour who has back seats in his '81 Trans Am only takes it out once or twice a year with his twin 9 year olds.
At least I get the bike out a little more than that. Not much more, but a little more.

@joebass Can’t take the motorcyclist out of me. At least not yet. Lol. Kidding with each other is part of it. It’s how we develop think skin without the road rash.

I’ve said that I’m not looking for attention. Rather enjoy the ride or drive and leave the showboating to others. But, I’ve got to tell you, I’m really enjoying some of the attention we get driving the car. Lots of folks seem to have a story involving an MG. I’ve become that guy!

Heck, I’m even talking to my neighbours and getting to know them a little more. I’m sure the novelty will wear out and I’ll be back to tell folks to get off my lawn soon enough. At least grunt and turn my head when someone asks me a question. Can’t help myself and seem to smile and enter a conversation with strangers because of this thing. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom