Nissan admits falsifying emissions tests in Japan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nissan admits falsifying emissions tests in Japan

I remember the Nissan safety-inspection situation and this one is probably similar.

Japan has some bizarre legal requirements. My understanding is that in the safety-inspection situation that the article mentioned - Every single car is supposed to be inspected by a qualified person who has to sign off that it conforms to the standards. Every. Single. Car. This is as opposed to the "type approval" process that the rest of the world uses, in which the design is approved, not each individual vehicle (which is simply a duplicate of the design).

It's a dumb requirement, because no individual, no matter how qualified, is going to know that all the robotic spot welders completed every single weld, all the fasteners were tightened to specs, all the glass is free of defects, etc. It is not even remotely possible to make such an end-of-line inspection. But, that's what the government there requires.

Obviously, the reality is that the vehicle design is indeed type-approved, then during production a piece of paper is presented to this designated person which relates to a car that is presented in front of them, they sign it, then the next car with the next piece of paper is presented, they sign it, next ... next ... next ... all day.

Any monkey could do this job when presented in that fashion. But, it had to be done by someone with certain qualifications. That's the thing Nissan wasn't doing. It's basically irrelevant to the real world.

If you drive a Nissan, I wouldn't concern yourself with this ...

I remember the Nissan safety-inspection situation and this one is probably similar.

Japan has some bizarre legal requirements. My understanding is that in the safety-inspection situation that the article mentioned - Every single car is supposed to be inspected by a qualified person who has to sign off that it conforms to the standards. Every. Single. Car. This is as opposed to the "type approval" process that the rest of the world uses, in which the design is approved, not each individual vehicle (which is simply a duplicate of the design).

It's a dumb requirement, because no individual, no matter how qualified, is going to know that all the robotic spot welders completed every single weld, all the fasteners were tightened to specs, all the glass is free of defects, etc. It is not even remotely possible to make such an end-of-line inspection. But, that's what the government there requires.

Obviously, the reality is that the vehicle design is indeed type-approved, then during production a piece of paper is presented to this designated person which relates to a car that is presented in front of them, they sign it, then the next car with the next piece of paper is presented, they sign it, next ... next ... next ... all day.

Any monkey could do this job when presented in that fashion. But, it had to be done by someone with certain qualifications. That's the thing Nissan wasn't doing. It's basically irrelevant to the real world.

If you drive a Nissan, I wouldn't concern yourself with this ...
Interesting information. Didn't exactly know how this works

shouldn't be that big a deal for Nissan

unlike VW that actively marketed the TDI as green friendly
while executing corporate fraud at the highest level

don't know anyone who decides to buy a Nissan to cut emissions
fudging the numbers a bit on petrol powered cars is not that big a deal

Nissan quality has always been atrocious of all the japanese manufacturers

there is a reason they lost all kinds of money, and Renault had to save them.

I'm not even sure why Nissan even bothers anymore, thier cars are the dullest most uninspiring and boring cars on the market. Altima and sentra anyone?

Nissan has made interesting cars in the past. My dad had a 1970 Datsun 510 once upon a time. Rear wheel drive was standard practice at the time, but 4 wheel independent suspension was not, and that car had it.

Nissan has made interesting cars in the past. My dad had a 1970 Datsun 510 once upon a time. Rear wheel drive was standard practice at the time, but 4 wheel independent suspension was not, and that car had it.

oh, lets get something straight, the old Nissans were good. even the late 80s and early 90s were good too. their upper end vehicles were very good and solidly built (maxima and hardbody trucks) . I'd say almost bullet proof even, esp their engines.

tha maxima won 10 Best cars of the year award. it really was a nice car for its time.

around 2000s they started going down hill and ever since.... I like my jap brands, but wouldn't touch a current Nissan.

Last edited:
I had a first gen Titan
the 5.8 V8 was a badass MF of an engine
had a 6,000 # travel trailer that towed like nothing
really was a great truck, extremely comfortable

can't say any of their cars have interested me

Z_7-e1477682359802-940x706.jpg

Oh baby!

I'm all for Green tech.. but when every major manufacturer is cheating it just tells you that the rules are either 1) too stringent or 2) the enforcement of said rules are too lax.

I'm inclined to believe it's #1. Think the US EPA is on a similar mindset.

Is every manufacturer cheating?

Back
Top Bottom