Need to replace R6 tires and looking for suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need to replace R6 tires and looking for suggestions

Lucusice

I just got an R6 about a month ago and need to replace the tires. It's my first time buying tires for a SS, previously I rode a 250r. I got some suggestions at Forks of the Credit this weekend - one was to go with Dunlop Roadsmart 3s since they'll last longer. Any advice on tires you've enjoyed/disliked would be much appreciated.

Any current gen modern day tire by a major manufact. will be good.

If you plan on doing a lot of rain riding? Get PR4/5.

Otherwise go with what fits your budget.

yup, budget and type of riding will determine

Budget is pretty open. As long as I'm getting good value out of what I paid, I'm happy. With regards to riding type, I mostly ride to work (401) and do weekend trips, not super far so far.. My neck and back are still getting used to SS riding.

Great reviews on Dunlop q3/q3+
It also comes to personal pref of brand.

IE: I love Dunlop and Bridgestone but have never been a Michelin fan.

I just got an R6 about a month ago and need to replace the tires. It's my first time buying tires for a SS, previously I rode a 250r. I got some suggestions at Forks of the Credit this weekend - one was to go with Dunlop Roadsmart 3s since they'll last longer. Any advice on tires you've enjoyed/disliked would be much appreciated.
I got PR4s for my SS. Loving them so far. Excellent grip. Should last much longer than sporty tires.

I got PR4s for my SS. Loving them so far. Excellent grip. Should last much longer than sporty tires.

great tires

OP if you're commuting, there will be rain days
Michelin Pilot Roads are very solid in the rain
and sporty enough for most

also, read up on dual compound (harder in the center, soft on the outer)
a soft sport tire will flat spot quickly if you do a lot of commuting

an alternative to Michelin, but similar tire, is the Pirelli Angel
I've had a set on a 600 and they were fabulous

Last edited:
PR4s....in addition to great in the rain they also last a really long time

Had some PR2's on my SV a while back, great tires, confident with them, and rode in some serious rain, also wear life was amazing, did around 8-10k in them and they looked new. They did slide sometimes when emergency braking, esp on concrete. I now have some dunlop's on the CB500, wearing much quicker, still feel fine.

Maybe because of ABS, when I did emergency braking maneuvers they felt more planted. I'd get PR4's or PR5's in your case, new design, updated tech, good value...

Thanks guys! W/ your advice and a bit of research I'll try out PR4s. Seems like they'll last for commuting and I found a set on sale at Pete's online.

Pirelli Angel GT or Metzeler RoadTec Z8

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Harder compound center for hwy and softer outer edges to grab in those nice corners. Decently priced also. I've put just under 6000kms on mine and just started to notice a faint flat spot from my commuting/hwy riding.

For commuting and occasional spirited riding, you want sport touring tires. Here's a list (I might have missed a few):

Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, 4, or 5
Metzeler Roadtec 01
Dunlop Roadsmart
Bridgestone T30 or T31
Bridgestone BT023 or BT021
Pirelli Angel GT
Continental Contimotion
Shinko 009 Raven
Shinko 011 Verge
Shinko 016 Verge 2x

I personally would never buy shinkos...or avon....

My experience with BT021s wasn't that great either...

Better to stick to current gen models on big boy manufacturers

Back
Top Bottom