Trade-in vs private sale | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trade-in vs private sale

If you want more money and can wait go private, if your getting a killer deal and don’t want to wait go trade in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trade in values are typically awful
but there are tax savings and less hassle
up to you to figure what makes sense

Im getting frustrated with the noshow and lowballers without seeing the bike first. Which makes me consider trading it in instead of wasting time. Will I loose bigtime on the tradein? Its an old bike so im not expecting big tradein value. 03 zx6rr 599cc not the 636 zx6r

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Im getting frustrated with the noshow and lowballers ............ Will I loose bigtime on the tradein? Its an old bike so im not expecting big tradein value. 03 zx6rr 599cc not the 636 zx6r

So calculate the net difference between you selling it privately and trading it in and determine if dealing with the yahoos vs. just signing some paperwork at the dealer is worth it. No one here can tell you what your time is worth.

So calculate the net difference between you selling it privately and trading it in and determine if dealing with the yahoos vs. just signing some paperwork at the dealer is worth it. No one here can tell you what your time is worth.
Ok ill try to get some numbers in the dealerships this week

What's your time worth and how tolerant are you.

I shoot every third low baller. The second one just left.

my last trade the difference between trading and selling private was not that much. You have look at it as difference between trade in minus selling private. Then look
at the tax saving as you pay less tax trading in vs buying new.

for example. new bike is 10k plus tax 1200. Say you got 4k on trade. So now you pay tax on 6k = 720. So a savings of 480

Then factor in your time spent selling bike private. Plus if you in a hurry to sell you may not get a buyer when you want. Also check different dealers. Some really lowball you on trade.
On the NC it was a $1000 difference between 2 dealers. (Traded in the 2017 FZ07 and Smax scooter). BTW love the NC750X DCT. Now that gas here is stupid (Shell silver $1.70/L)
priced, I love the around 80mpg (3.1L/100km)

Traded in my old minivan for more than I could sell it for....but that's cause they wanted the sale. Van probably ended up going to the scrappers....just made it to the dealership. lol

I was having the same conundrum till I visited a dealer who basically offered me 50% off the market value. He eventually realized it's way too low and suggested me to sell it privately.

I think it depends a lot on the vehicle being sold. Older bikes usually don't have much difference in value whether trade in or sell privately. One of my friends traded in his 6 year old CBR 125 for the same money as private sale.

Agree with being frustrated with low ballers. I have a bike on sale at the moment and am going through it as well.

I have sold a 2 privately this year. I got $4.5K for a GL1500 vs $1800 on trade, and $5.5K on my GSXR1300 vs $3500 on trade.

I had expected more as I priced both as best deal on Kijiji.

When I sell privately I set a fair price, then lower it every 2 weeks till it sells. I always indicate the price is firm in my ads, I get the occasional lowballer, I returning their offers at $100 more than asking.

Most of my experiences with dealerships have been fraught with headaches and negativity. (with minor exceptions, being a Harley dealership and Two wheeled in Guelph)

and therefore now days I avoid going to dealers altogether if I can help it.

If you price your bike fairly, you can probably avoid a lot of headaches with lowballers and still get significantly more than what a dealer will give you on a trade in.
Or you can price it unreasonably, deal with lowballers, and wait a lot longer, but still sell it for more than what you would get at a dealer

If you need the value of the trade in to close the sale on the new bike, then take the bath and do it.

But as others have said, you'll almost certainly get more selling it yourself...so if you can float both bikes at the same time, sell it privately.

Remember, the dealership is only going to get retail value for it..and they are going to want to make a profit, so most offers from dealerships however around wholesale value, not retail.

I was in the same conundrum earlier this year. Wanted to sell my current bike and upgrade to something else.

Here is what I learned:

Selling a bike to a dealer for cash will only fetch you the low to mid end of the current market value. Example in my case: 3-3.5k.

Trading in your bike to the dealer and buying another bike from the same dealer will fetch you a much better trade-in value. Example 4.3-4.5k.hiwever buying anything from the dealer will be more expensive than buying privately.

Sellingy bike privately ffetched me almost 5k.

I also managed to get a good deal on the bike I wanted to upgrade to by buying privately.

Worth it going the private route IMO

Also depends on the bike you’re buying....hard to move bike might get a better deal, something that’s flying off the shelves, not so much. I got nearly the same price as I paid for my bike on a trade in at a dealership for a top of the line adventure bike. Not dealing with flaky buyers can be priceless however I have also had good experiences selling a bike privately before.

If you need the value of the trade in to close the sale on the new bike, then take the bath and do it.

But as others have said, you'll almost certainly get more selling it yourself...so if you can float both bikes at the same time, sell it privately.

Remember, the dealership is only going to get retail value for it..and they are going to want to make a profit, so most offers from dealerships however around wholesale value, not retail.

this, also keep in mind, for a dealer, used inventory is dollars sitting there on the floor
new bikes are free for quite some time, after that dealer pays marginal interest on new bikes

so when they sell a new one, they settle with the manu or finance company
but have not taken in enough $$ to cover that, so the balance sits there in the form of a used bike

this factors into the trade value, used inventory CANNOT sit around, it's a killer

this, also keep in mind, for a dealer, used inventory is dollars sitting there on the floor
new bikes are free for quite some time, after that dealer pays marginal interest on new bikes

so when they sell a new one, they settle with the manu or finance company
but have not taken in enough $$ to cover that, so the balance sits there in the form of a used bike

this factors into the trade value, used inventory CANNOT sit around, it's a killer

Interesting

Kijiji is hit or miss. If you really want a quick sale, ask how much the dealer will give you for a trade in. Say for example its a bike you'd like to get $6k for and the dealer offers you $3k....safety it, put it up for $4-4500 and it's win win.
Trade ins are nice because they are quick and easy, Kijiji (or any type of private sale) is nice because you will get more for what the bike is worth....but can take time, which to me is $$.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing :)

I wouldn't get frustrated with lowballers. Just accept it as part of the selling process. If you're getting a disproportionate number of low ball offers it could be an indication you have unreasonable expectations on the selling price. There are so many variables to consider when selling a motorcycle. In the end every bike sells for what it's worth.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom