Ever gone from a 1000 to a 600 maybe a 675 or 750? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ever gone from a 1000 to a 600 maybe a 675 or 750?

When I was contemplating going to a 1500 Goldwing from a 1200 I asked someone who had done it about the difference. He said with all the torque you don't have to shift as much. He was right.

I don't know if I'd go back.

I remember when Suzuki brought out their big 250.

I've had them all GSXR600/750/1000 street and track, and I'd say if I'm buying a SS bike there is no reason why it wouln't be a 1000cc. With the 1000cc you can choose what you want to do with the extra power and torque, with the smaller ones you might be wishing they had more. When I got my first GSXR1000, after a Ninja500, and 2 GSXR750s, the first thought that came to mind was wtf have I been missing ;)

I've traded bikes with friends just to try each other's bikes, riding their 600 or 675 SS right after my GSXR1000 I was like are these things even alive :D It depends on what you want to do with your bike, to me a SS is for going fast, and a 1000 does that better...

At the race track I preferred my SS's in this order 2003 GSXR1000 > 2003 GSXR750 > 2003 GSXR600, I was instantly 2 seconds/lap faster at TMP on my track GSXR1000 vs my GSXR600 with the same mods and same suspension. My old track GSXR600 is the only one I never crashed on track over the 3 years that I had it, but I also went 3 years without crashing on my track GSXR1000 until I crashed it racing at SMP last year, twice within 15 mins. For experienced riders, I don't think a 1000 is more dangerous than a 600 or 750, it's the rider's judgement and state of mind that mainly affects crashing rather than engine size.

I currently have a ~175hp 1100 naked and a ~105hp 800 ST; pretty close to your criteria though neither are an SS.

I ride the 1100 most of the time and it's a physical workout and a laugh-inducing adrenaline rush just about every time. When I want a more relaxed, plush/smooth, quiet, more comfortable experience I'll ride out into the country on the 800. Different bikes for different moods.

They deliver their wares in such different ways. The big torque-monster V4 vs the smaller, smooth, revvy I4; the race-bred Ohlins vs the squishy OE Yamaha suspenders; the semi-RR ergos on the 1100 vs the much more touring oriented ergos 800. Their characters are very different and they have different missions in life.

I'm lucky to have both. If I only had the 1100 I'm not sure I'd want to go down to a mini-me version of it like you'd get 1KSS to a 600SS.
I agree. I am also lucky enough to have bikes that fit various riding situations. Like I mentioned earlier, dialing up 80lbs of torque and 100HP below 4000rpm on l+ bike delivers a thrill you can't have on a 600 anything. Personally I like the less aggressive ST chassis and suspension with stupid power (FJR, Connie, Bking), they are easier to ride with in both city and on the open road. The big nakeds and SS bikes are fun, but they are tiring to ride any distance.

I've been up and down the cc chart several times. Most current SS600's pack lots of whallop , a full liter packs more. It really depends on where your going and what your doing. Me, I"m just happy to go for a ride.

Size is less important than what you plan to do with it....

Will agree with others that you need to have a different bike for:

Street
Track
Dirt/ADV

I've been up and down the cc chart several times. Most current SS600's pack lots of whallop , a full liter packs more. It really depends on where your going and what your doing. Me, I"m just happy to go for a ride.
True, but to be in the power you're running all day at 9000 rpm. Gimme a Connie, FJR, even an ST1300 -- they're in the money 6000RPM sooner.

Like others have stated...better off having purpose built bikes.
I have a full litre naked and a piece of euro trash 690 thumper.
Lots of fun on the 690 which is a torque monster.
FZ1 is my city girl and the 690 is the country girl.
FZ1 is refined but will get you into a lot of trouble.
690 is fun to ride and keeps ya honest.

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone from a 1k down the line to a 600 ish bike.

Supersport.

The usual is to move up from say a 250ish to a 600 to then the 1k but wondering if anyone has gone back and why...

Not talking track bikes...

Yep, when from a 1300 down to a 675 a few years ago. Its not all about the CC's.

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone from a 1k down the line to a 600 ish bike.

Supersport.

The usual is to move up from say a 250ish to a 600 to then the 1k but wondering if anyone has gone back and why...

Not talking track bikes...

I know someone who did. They just enjoy the higher revs required on the 600 to do what a 1000 can do at lower revs.

I went from 500cc to SV650, R6, GSXR1000, then nothing for two years and now on a 636. I don't miss the 1000 but I can say I rode lots with a passenger on the highway with the 1000 and don't do that anymore, so that is a big difference. If i planned on extended 2-up riding AND wanted a sport bike it would be on a 1000cc. A non-ss bike might also be better for two up like a street triple or Vstrom etc. It really depends on your needs.

1984 500cc v4 magna
First bike.

To 2011 cbr600rr
I wanted a newer bike. Was looking at a lot of nekkids but turns out SS insurance wasn't much via SF. It was a very impulsive buy though. Had fun on it for 3 years, no regrets.

Then to 2013 ninja 300
Because I moved from Oakville to Mississauga and insurance wanted increase of $80 per month. This was when SS was very reasonable on SF.
My wife also got ninja 250 around the same time and i got to see what the extra cc did.

Then to 2012 gladius (sfv650)
Now I think back, I don't know why I switched. I think I just wanted something a bit different I guess.

So yes, I went from up to down to up.
I feel like CC doesn't really factor in kuch, but more for wanting to try things out.

Next I want to get either one of these
Grom
mt09
Drz400sm
CBR f4i

My Sv650 finds the most saddle time for rides up north... more than enough power to boot around the city too

Back
Top Bottom