Thai Cave Rescue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thai Cave Rescue

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Anyone else following this? Four of the twelve kids have been rescued with the other eight plus the leader hopefully soon.

I've been in a small cave at Warsaw south of Peterborough and shut the flashlight off for a moment. I came out with a new appreciation for darkness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44757804

The logistics are frightening. Non swimming kids being taught scuba to escape the place. Panic and you're dead. One rescuer has died.

It's absolutely insane.

I don't mean this to come out wrong but I think this will be made out some day into a great movie.

It's absolutely insane.

I don't mean this to come out wrong but I think this will be made out some day into a great movie.

I agree, I'd be surprised if somebody hasn't approached the parents on a deal. Lets just pray this has a happy ending.

My immediate attention is getting everyone out. Then it switches to how did this start?

Word is that it was a sort of initiation. They weren't supposed to go in during the rainy season. The coach might end up getting in some trouble.

I thought it was just a trip out and then they got cut off by rising water due to rainfall. People always think that this kind of thing won’t happen to them and that they’ll be able to see a change in water level and be able to get out before anything bad happens. I thought the same until I nearly got cut off by a rising tide on a sandbar once. Couldn’t believe how fast the water was moving.

I thought it was just a trip out and then they got cut off by rising water due to rainfall. People always think that this kind of thing won’t happen to them and that they’ll be able to see a change in water level and be able to get out before anything bad happens. I thought the same until I nearly got cut off by a rising tide on a sandbar once. Couldn’t believe how fast the water was moving.

Apparently it is well known (and possibly posted?) that the caves can fill with water unexpectedly between June and October and should not be entered. The mistake wasn't getting trapped (and since they successfully survived to be rescued, obviously some good choices or luck were involved at that point), the mistake was made the second they entered the cave.

I once got trapped in a hallway between an office and a shop. Some idiot had the door hardware installed wrong with both doors letting you in but not out. To make matters worse it was Saturday of a long weekend and I left my cellphone in the car.

Fortunately I had my Swiss Army Knife and one wall was drywall.

I once got trapped in a buffet lineup between 2 German families
it was horrifying, and the end of AI resorts for me

I once got trapped in a buffet lineup between 2 German families
it was horrifying, and the end of AI resorts for me
This is pure gold. LMFAO.

Just heard about this on the news today. Not the type of stuff you want to hear. Hoping it all ends well.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Seems to be going well so far. 8 kids out so far. Some more on the coach... He was a orphan, became a monk, but left to join the org and be a coach. He's reportedly not in the best condition as he gave up his food to the kids ...what little they had for a day trip that stretched into 9 days before being found.

Assistant coach Ekapol Chantawong (Nickname: Ake), 25

Ake was reportedly born in Myanmar and lost his parents at a young age.

Prior to becoming a football coach, he spent several years as a Buddhist monk, and learnt how to conserve energy by restricting movements and meditating. According to local news reports, he taught these techniques to the boys in the cave.

In his letter, Ake apologised to the parents for taking the boys into the cave network, but several replied to say they did not blame him.

"I promise I will take care of the kids as best as I can," Ake wrote.

Some media reports suggest when the group was found Ake was weakest, having refused to eat any of the food they had brought with them, giving it instead to the boys.

His note also included a message to both his aunt and grandmother, informing them that he was "fine".

"Do not worry too much about me. Take good care of your health," he wrote, adding: "Please prepare vegetable juice and pork rind for me. I'll have them when I can get out. Thanks."

The initiation item may have been speculation heard early on.

Last edited:
All out safe but with some quarantines due to possible cave disease issues. :)

Sadly one rescuer gave his life earlier in the mission.

When this incident happened, I was in the middle of reading 'Blind Descent' which is an account of the search for the deepest cave on Earth. The skills, techniques and sheer cojones to go into these flooded caves is incredible. Great book, and it brought the whole Thai scenario to life.

Back
Top Bottom