Thinking of buying a LARGE car.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of buying a LARGE car....

You can buy a new caravan for just over 20 if yoi get the value package

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How many people and what sizes?

We ended up with an Odyssey 8 passenger in 2015, as it was the only van we were shown that could fit five, 6' 2"+, 200+ lb, size 14 shoe, adults in the first two rows, and still fold down the third row for storage.
The Sienna eight-seater was too narrow and cramped in foot room at the time. The Ford shoebox, was very difficult to find, and we were told it was to be the last model year for some reason.
Two KIA dealers only showed us older used models. none which had eight seats.

If you've only got four passengers then you have more choice than we had.

How many people and what Size?

5'7 - 170lbs, 5'4 - 130lbs, and 5'4 - 150lbs....an infant and a 2 year old. So no giants but we won't fit into the Rogue. Only option would be to put one baby seat on front seat and 2 adults in rear if the airbag can be turned off....but we think the minivan will be th solution.

Best & most versatile is a mini van.
2 kids + a dog with room to spare for those unexpected pickups.
Doubles as a cargo van for just about anything.
Had one for 11 years, we compare every car/truck to our minivan....always like, ****, can't fit this in the car/Journey, damn, should have got another minivan....

Another vote for minivan as the best value option for space vs price. I would have gone minivan for the last car purchase, but the wife commutes up north so she put AWD on the required list and we ended up with a santa fe xl. It's nice enough, but you could get a new value package van for the price of a three year old suv (and have more space and presumably spend less on fuel).

There are AWD minivans.

Due to their scarcity (and because they only come from manufacturers that consider themselves premium), an awd minivan normally ends up priced substantially higher than the equivalent SUV/CUV/pavement princess. When I was looking, the minivans were ~5 to 10K more.

since you are looking used, I'd go Toyota Sienna,

awesome awesome van, plenty were in rental fleets (as opposed to Honda) so you should be able to get a good (better?) deal on one.

caverous space, absolutely comfortable, toyota reliability, lots of power, well made, and drives smooth.

3 rows SUV, go Pilot, forget the american crap

Have you actually looked at the vehicles that Honda and Toyota are peddling recently?

A friend is returning his leased Toyota van half way through the lease as there are so many problems.

My parents had a pilot in the past and would consider buying one again, but they feel they need blind spot detection and the pricks at Honda force you to buy the highest package to add it. Everybody else puts such safety features at (or just above) the bottom of the range.

The japanese have had their heads up their ***** for so long they aren't going to know what happened when their whole business model unravels. Obviously they do make some excellent vehicles (MDX is the first thing that comes to mind), but in my experience, they are the exception not the rule for at least the past 5 years.

First off, congrats buddy!
Secondly, third row SUVs like my Pilot suck when you use the third row.
I loved my Grand Caravan and miss it daily.
That's my vote.
Or the Honda Odessy.
Sienna is nice but too much $$ imo

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian, actually I really like the Pacifica and have seen a few of them around.

You should test drive the Pacifica and the Grand Caravan. They're both based on the same platform. But the differences in the small things adds up to a notable difference.
You're paying for a much better driving experience in the Pacifica.

The van votes are where it's at. Most room without the sacrifices. Honda and Toyota make the best ones but the Caravan is much cheaper...just do not try to trade it in. And put some money aside for a new tranny.

The van votes are where it's at. Most room without the sacrifices. Honda and Toyota make the best ones but the Caravan is much cheaper...just do not try to trade it in. And put some money aside for a new tranny.
2001 Caravan needed a tranny at 100k. Was done before I bought it.
Got my 2005 with 100k and drove it to 280k no tranny issues. Damn rust though....

True about trade value. Drive that mofo into the ground.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Have you actually looked at the vehicles that Honda and Toyota are peddling recently?

A friend is returning his leased Toyota van half way through the lease as there are so many problems.

My parents had a pilot in the past and would consider buying one again, but they feel they need blind spot detection and the pricks at Honda force you to buy the highest package to add it. Everybody else puts such safety features at (or just above) the bottom of the range.

The japanese have had their heads up their ***** for so long they aren't going to know what happened when their whole business model unravels. Obviously they do make some excellent vehicles (MDX is the first thing that comes to mind), but in my experience, they are the exception not the rule for at least the past 5 years.

You get exactly what you pay for. Honda and Toyota make the longest lasting least problem prone cars on the market. And yes they charge quite a bit more than some of their competitors. Look at what used ones go for. Which has nothing to do with the originating dealer. People buy Siennas and Odysseys with way more mileage than you would dream of putting on a Chrysler (although both have their exceptions). Toyotas have auto brake and radar cruise and lane departure on their base models ($20k Corollas). You have to decide if you want to replace something more often or not. Buying a domestic isn't the wrong choice. It just brings up other decisions/benefits/costs. I just had a lady trade in a 2010 Caravan CVP with 160k and the door came off in your hands from the rust. But she saved $10k 8 years ago. So that maybe was the right choice then....different choices.

More like, a $25k Chrysler minivan will be worth nothing in 10 years, a $40k Toyota minivan might be worth (an overpriced) $5k. Who is really ahead of the game there?

Resale value only matters to someone who trades in every 2 or 3 years - but those people aren't doing that for the economics. If you run vehicles into the ground, it hardly matters.

More like, a $25k Chrysler minivan will be worth nothing in 10 years, a $40k Toyota minivan might be worth (an overpriced) $5k. Who is really ahead of the game there?

Resale value only matters to someone who trades in every 2 or 3 years - but those people aren't doing that for the economics. If you run vehicles into the ground, it hardly matters.

factor in the transmission replacement cost, lost time with no vehicle/rental, and other atrocious Chrysler quality related repair costs, the squeaking and rattling of most chrysler products, along with being stuck driving a clunky, unrefined piece of junk, I'd say the toyota guy is miles ahead.

That assumes you get the same vehicle for 10 years. You don't. Sit in the third row of the Caravan then sit in the third row of the Honda. Drive both for a day and tell me they are comparable. Not even close. Ride/comfort and power are in different worlds(don't even start on safety). And that assumes you cannot drive them after ten years. For the Caravan you'll be lucky to get 10 pain free years. The other two will give you longer life without problems. Again I still think the right choice is sometimes the Caravan. If you're driving low kms it may work for you. But don't pretend you'll be just as happy with either for 10 years. If that were true the only car you would see on the road would be a Caravan. If the only measure we are looking at is cost then the OP should buy a ten year old Caravan for a grand and drive it till it falls apart....so once a year he can buy another one for 2k.

2011+ Odysseys and Siennas selling for $15k or more.

2010 and earlier are the older generations of both vans and both are selling for $10K if clean.

Back
Top Bottom