Thinking of buying a LARGE car.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of buying a LARGE car....

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
So unlike the other thread looking for a small car, we are starting to search for a large car for our expanding family!

Just found out that wife is pregnant and it's time to start searching for something larger (maybe even a minivan...) as the 2012 Rogue with 2 car seats, and 3 adults is not going to cut it...unless someone loses a LOT of weight within the next few months so they can squeeze in b/w the rear car seats.

We are considering the Mazda5 as I like it, and it's like a mini-minivan but the rear space is non-existent once you actually utilize the rear seats. Son is too small for a while still before he uses a booster, and the next baby will need a full on seat as well.

Trying to keep the budget under 25k and not sure whether to go with a full on van (i.e.: Odyssey / Sienna / Sedona / Quest / Grand Caravan (wife hates the back end of the GC)) or with a larger SUV with third row seating.

Not sure whether to trade in the Rogue, or the Volt in on the new car...but once the time comes we can decide at that stage. Volt is great for commuting (18,500km in a year with 180L of gas used!).

Any recommendations? Thoughts? Suggestions? Would prefer lower than 20k but apparently vans don't depreciate that fast!

Would really love a wagon...but unfortunately I don't think something exists for our needs.

Last edited:
Ford Flex?

don't know if they're any good or not
but always seemed like a good alternative to the soccer mom van

Have you thought about the edge? I am really impressed by Ford lately. They are making great cars. I have a Ford escape and I love it.

If you shop around end of September you can get a great deal on a new one from Ford as they are trying to get rid of previous year's models. Look for the 0% financing around that time.

Yonge and Ford Steeles has the best pricing.

Have you thought about the edge? I am really impressed by Ford lately. They are making great cars. I have a Ford escape and I love it.

If you shop around end of September you can get a great deal on a new one from Ford as they are trying to get rid of previous year's models. Look for the 0% financing around that time.

Yonge and Ford Steeles has the best pricing.

I thought the EDGE was only a 5 person car...didn't think it was a 3 row SUV. Buddy has one so I'll talk to him but last I checked he liked it.

6 and 7 Passenger SUV's are a good compromise if you want to avoid an actual minivan. There are a lot of choices and almost every manufacturer makes a mid-size SUV in that configuration.

Chev Tahoe/ Suburban , seats 7-8 , nicely styled and pulls a trailer. Awful on gas, hard to park but you can get 10 years out of one with little effort.

Or a '73 Chrysler Newport, you can put 7 kids in the back seat, my dad did. With the 2dr the kids cant fall out.

I'd be keeping the Volt for commuting and trading in the Rogue.

The vans are the most practical choice. The 3-row CUV/SUV is the more common choice.

Chevrolet Traverse / GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave (all are different versions of the same vehicle underneath). These are basically minivans masquerading as SUVs.

Ford Flex is apparently out per the wife; Explorer is the other choice if you can deal with driving something that looks like a cop car.

Don't forget to look at the Chrysler Pacifica. It's a minivan, but it has some styling to it. There's a hybrid version that would fit right in with your Volt! These are way nicer vehicles than the old Grand Caravan. (edit: Probably not in your price range. In your price range, you will be buying used, in which case ... beggars can't be choosers.)

I'd be keeping the Volt for commuting and trading in the Rogue.

The vans are the most practical choice. The 3-row CUV/SUV is the more common choice.

Chevrolet Traverse / GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave (all are different versions of the same vehicle underneath). These are basically minivans masquerading as SUVs.

Ford Flex is apparently out per the wife; Explorer is the other choice if you can deal with driving something that looks like a cop car.

Don't forget to look at the Chrysler Pacifica. It's a minivan, but it has some styling to it. There's a hybrid version that would fit right in with your Volt! These are way nicer vehicles than the old Grand Caravan. (edit: Probably not in your price range. In your price range, you will be buying used, in which case ... beggars can't be choosers.)

Thanks Brian, actually I really like the Pacifica and have seen a few of them around. I would consider trading my Volt in, and depending on how the stars line up with financing, gov't rebates, and everything else we can go over the 25k but would need a longer finance term. I'd be willing to do a 7 year and then just pay it off faster.

I would only consider going over 25k on the Pacifica, and simply because I would be able to use it as an e-commuter for work. However, I'm leaving for that FIFO job in a few weeks so no rush on that, plus we have plenty of time until baby arrives.

I miss my minivan. Cargo space and passenger room. Pull the seats out of fold down and you have a bedroom when camping. If I'm gonna pay for the same gas mileage, I want the most functionality. When you're driving it's the inside that counts, who cares what the outside looks like.

since you are looking used, I'd go Toyota Sienna,

awesome awesome van, plenty were in rental fleets (as opposed to Honda) so you should be able to get a good (better?) deal on one.

caverous space, absolutely comfortable, toyota reliability, lots of power, well made, and drives smooth.

3 rows SUV, go Pilot, forget the american crap

Jeeeeeep! :)

Definitely either a Honda Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna. Check on LeaseBusters. Should be able to find a reasonably priced one with low mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best price point is Chrysler fir off lease low mileage and some remaining warranty depending on the test and mileage.

Oddessy would be the best for fit and finish, feel and functionality. Will be a higher mileage vehicle or base trim etc.

Keep the volt for commuting. Use the mule for family needs. Ditch the Rogue.

The functionality of the sliding doors on the van with gear and Kids, loading etc. Just can’t be beat.

Flex is a nice ride if your wife can get past her objections.

Many of the 7-8 passengers SUV rear seats are a pain to get to and identify the middle row has captain seats so you have to get to the very back for one of the runts.

If you go that route, check out the Kia Sorento.

Was very impressed with features, quality and price point and warranty. They also had zero percent financing on select models at the time. See what they are offering now.

Kia minivans are decent too. You can get used in that price range.

Back
Top Bottom