Good Roads around Ottawa | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good Roads around Ottawa

slowbird

Can anyone point out the must ride/good roads to ride around the Ottawa area?

I might be visiting a friend downtown Ottawa ish area.

Skip across to Gatineau and head up to the Champlain Lookout. Nearby, so you can fit it into a half-day type thing if you want to stay close to town, but great roads and great scenery. Multiple lookouts with great views at all of them.

Make sure to follow the (quite low) speed limits however - police enforcement was everywhere when we were there.

Some great roads on the trip to and from Mount Tremblant as well (just be careful to plot carefully, some of the roads that *look* awesome turn to gravel in some areas, don't ask me how I know), plus Tremblant itself is nice of course. Day trip out of Ottawa.. Do the downhill go-cart things on the ski hill if you get there, it was a lot of fun.

There is another road (I forget the name) that will take you to the lovely town of Kirk's Ferry in the Gatineau hills.
On your way to Ottawa take the 401 to Kingston and take the Perth Rd. to Perth and take Hwy. 7 to Ottawa. Lots of nice twisty sections.
Hwy. 15 from Kingston via Smiths Falls is also a good ride.
If you take the 417 north from Ottawa to Hwy. 508 (just north of Arnprior) this is known as the Calibogie loop, one of the best rides in eastern Ontario.

Skip across to Gatineau and head up to the Champlain Lookout. Nearby, so you can fit it into a half-day type thing if you want to stay close to town, but great roads and great scenery. Multiple lookouts with great views at all of them.

Make sure to follow the (quite low) speed limits however - police enforcement was everywhere when we were there.

Some great roads on the trip to and from Mount Tremblant as well (just be careful to plot carefully, some of the roads that *look* awesome turn to gravel in some areas, don't ask me how I know), plus Tremblant itself is nice of course. Day trip out of Ottawa.. Do the downhill go-cart things on the ski hill if you get there, it was a lot of fun.

Last time I went to the lookout, it seemed to be more of a bicyclist thing to do, rather than motorcycle. So you'd have to pick a good time for that.

Head down the seven and over to Ompah, and then through Calabogie on the way back. Or do part of Shane's route: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?205855-Ride-Report-Is-it-Canada-Day-yet

Thanks for the tips everyone!

On your way to Ottawa take the 401 to Kingston and take the Perth Rd. to Perth and take Hwy. 7 to Ottawa. Lots of nice twisty sections.
Hwy. 15 from Kingston via Smiths Falls is also a good ride.

Thanks I will. 15 looks a bit boring. 35 looks like a better 2nd choice if I don't take Perth Rd (10).

There is another road (I forget the name) that will take you to the lovely town of Kirk's Ferry in the Gatineau hills.

Looks like Quebec Route 105. thanks I'll add that to the list

How much time do you have? There’s some great routes that go via Calabogie after Highway 7. You come into Ottawa from the west this way.

Look at Buckshot lake road from highway 41 north of 7...then towards the 509 and 511 to Calabogie. Then you have a couple of choices from there to Ottawa. Those are great roads and even highway 41 is entertaining from Tamworth to Highway 7 as it’s fresh pavement and fast sweepers. Just watch for OPP.

Look at Buckshot lake road from highway 41 north of 7...then towards the 509 and 511 to Calabogie. Then you have a couple of choices from there to Ottawa. Those are great roads and even highway 41 is entertaining from Tamworth to Highway 7 as it’s fresh pavement and fast sweepers. Just watch for OPP.
Tamworth through Arden to #7 is way better, rougher roads but no pp.

Tamworth through Arden to #7 is way better, rougher roads but no pp.

Not so long back there was construction on that one, I don’t know if that’s all done. There’s some potholes and sand in corners too. It’s a great road though. This time of the year I really like 41 along Mazinaw lake to Buckshot Lake Rd. You’ll likely be the only vehicle on Buckshot midweek.

Not so long back there was construction on that one, I don’t know if that’s all done. There’s some potholes and sand in corners too. It’s a great road though. This time of the year I really like 41 along Mazinaw lake to Buckshot Lake Rd. You’ll likely be the only vehicle on Buckshot midweek.
Is not bad today :) but I kinda been riding it since I was 11 years old it was 3 dirt road wheel tracks so it's all relative.

How much time do you have? There’s some great routes that go via Calabogie after Highway 7. You come into Ottawa from the west this way.

Just the ride there, and the ride back. Got to be there before 5pm. Then leave early the next day and head back to Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom