Google Map Ignores Custom Route | GTAMotorcycle.com

Google Map Ignores Custom Route

Ashtonator

Hey guys, i know many of you have experience with custom routes/google maps

Im planning a ride to Algonquin tomorrow and found a few nice routes here on GTAM (thanks to other members who shared).

But when i send the link to myself and open it in my phone with googole maps app, it completely ignores the customization and gives the fastest route.

How do you guys keep the map from changing your route and following the custom route?

Thanks

You have to use as many unique waypoints as possible ... this will keep you on your intended route.

i dont believe its 'fixable' (besides adding more way points) as mobile google maps was designed to keep everything as simple as possible, which kind of sucks for motorcycle exploration usage.

That's correct ... just keep in mind that you can enter a maximum of 10 waypoints in Google Maps. For your trip I think that will be enough.

are you using an iPhone or android? I find it doesn't work on iOS on google maps, yet most people with android get it to work, so say it works fine...

Problem is your waypoint in Algonquin is not actually a waypoint, its a dragged point on the map which does get imported on the phone. You need to add every route point as a waypoint, no route modifications by dragging, and they will be the same on the phone.

Problem is your waypoint in Algonquin is not actually a waypoint, its a dragged point on the map which does get imported on the phone. You need to add every route point as a waypoint, no route modifications by dragging, and they will be the same on the phone.

you do know it's because he's using the wrong phone, right ?

Bahaha wrong phone! Nice JavaFan! But yeah i am on the iPhone which is apparently the problem lol

Thanks for the input everyone and rerouting it for me Brian!. I'm gonna try to the suggestions and hopefully get a good route for tomorrow!

You could always kick it old school and write out your directions turn by turn and put them in a tank bag w/ a clear map cover.
I did all my rides like this for my first 6 years of riding.

You could always kick it old school and write out your directions turn by turn and put them in a tank bag w/ a clear map cover.
I did all my rides like this for my first 6 years of riding.

Yeah but sadly i dont have a tank bag. My tank is plastic so i got a tail bag instead.

Are you adding the waypoints correctly? In google maps I think the sequence goes like this:

1. Start location
2. End location
3. Add via points (way points) (listed as A, B , C I think in Google maps)
4. Order the via points

I've had little to no success with the "send to my phone" option in Google maps using either Android or iPhone. Yeah, it works fine for simple "Drive to point B" type things, but anything more than that and it gets lost.

I agree with the others, plot it out on the phone itself - add in some strategic waypoints and away you go.

Alternatively, use a motorcycle specific GPS app like Scenic.

I've had little to no success with the "send to my phone" option in Google maps using either Android or iPhone. Yeah, it works fine for simple "Drive to point B" type things, but anything more than that and it gets lost.

I agree with the others, plot it out on the phone itself - add in some strategic waypoints and away you go.

Alternatively, use a motorcycle specific GPS app like Scenic.

+ for scenic. I create my maps in My Maps and copy and paste to Scenic's web app. Then import to my Scenic mobile app.

not an option for everyone, but a proper GPS unit makes all this a no brainer
design the route with PC and Tyre, load it to the GPS via bluetooth, ride

Thanks for all the hlep guys. I ended up playing around with google maps and used all the allowable destinations (way points) and made a pretty decent route. Sent it to my email from the website and the app did follow for the most part.

Its not the best at voice navigation. Apple Maps is far better ( at least on an iPhone) when it comes to that but of course you cant customize your route.

Did about 1000km (with the extra runs) passing through Barry's bay in the east, going west through Algonquin and Arrowhead park, then through 518 to Parry Sound, Muskoka, and back down with as many stops as it would allow in between.

Thanks again for all the help!

Here is the route ended up taking

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Miss...66db!2m2!1d-79.6441198!2d43.5890452!3e0?hl=en

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom