Toronto to Newfounland



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Toronto to Newfounland

  1. #1

    Toronto to Newfounland

    I may be able to get some time of work, though not much and wondering if its possible to do a trip to Newfoundland and back within 9-10 days. With good roads, some sight seeing, and maybe a hike. What would you recommend? I wanted to do the Trans-Labrador Hwy and Cabot Trail, though it may be too far north. Maybe pass through the states as-well. I'd plan on either AirBnB's, or camping.

  2. #2

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    How about Gaspe and Cabot in one trip? Newfoundland via Trans Lab is pretty rushed for such a short time frame while trying to include Cabot.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  3. #3
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,815

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    I'd recommend the NY, VT, NH, MA
    then up into NB at Calais, then over to NS

    not as fast as 401/20 ....but the TC is awful
    until you make the turn at Riviere du Loup

    could be in N. Nova Scotia in 3 solid days
    ferry ride, few days riding in NL, ferry
    a few days to get back home

    Cabot trail is easy to incorporate into this agenda

    the timing of the ferry rides will be a big factor in your planning
    Last edited by JavaFan; 07-05-2018 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #4
    slowbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,025

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    I've always had my eye on a ride to Newfoundland but the ferry ride always turns me off the idea. Too long and $$.

    I second the idea to cut through the states. Trans Canada is snoresville
    -Matt
    2000 VFR800 INTERCEPTOR

    2005 VFR800 Interceptor (sold)
    1997 VFR750F (SMIDSY victim)
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 VF500F Honda Interceptor (sold)


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    5,956

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    For that length trip, I'd skip Newfoundland. It costs you two days and mucho dollars for the ferry (if you leave from NS). I'd probably run the entire outside of the maritimes (personally I liked NS infinitely more than NB and PEI) and then wander through the states.

    I've never done translab. It may be possible to do translab then NL and then straight home skipping the rest of the maritimes. I think trying to do NL and the other provinces on the same 10 day trip misses out on many things. Make sure your bike is up to the trip, translab and then NL will be hard on it and you want to give it its best shot.

  6. #6

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    All great advise, thanks! Gaspe and Cabot alone look more comfortable in the time and Budget. And wholly molly, I had no idea the ferry was so costly, i'm looking at the site and does the price of transporting the motorcycle include the passenger? Anyone done it that knows how long it takes and overall cost?

    Now i'm debating just taking a weekend plus 3-4 days off, and maybe doing a lake Simcoe route or something, or maybe go down to states instead.

  7. #7
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,815

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    I had the same time frame last summer 10 days, same general idea
    really wanted to get over to NFLD for 2 days of riding

    the hassle of making the rest of the itinerary fit the ferry schedule was a pain
    never mind the lost time, so I gave up on that and spent the time on NS mainland
    plenty to see there

    If I were to do it again I'd go through the US one way
    take the TC back the other way
    a night in Quebec City makes the TC worth while
    great food, belle femme

  8. #8

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionT16 View Post
    Now i'm debating just taking a weekend plus 3-4 days off, and maybe doing a lake Simcoe route....
    5 days to get around Lake Simcoe....What are you riding? A tricycle?
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  9. #9

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    I had the same time frame last summer 10 days, same general idea
    really wanted to get over to NFLD for 2 days of riding

    the hassle of making the rest of the itinerary fit the ferry schedule was a pain
    never mind the lost time, so I gave up on that and spent the time on NS mainland
    plenty to see there

    If I were to do it again I'd go through the US one way
    take the TC back the other way
    a night in Quebec City makes the TC worth while
    great food, belle femme
    Interesting, If I plan it i'll do that, though pass by Quebec and stay in Ottawa. I lived in Ottawa for 5 years, and used to go to Quebec, I'm not a fan of the place. It's a beautiful province, though the french part and food doesn't help me, esp being Vegan lol

  10. #10

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    5 days to get around Lake Simcoe....What are you riding? A tricycle?
    Oh boy, I meant Lake Superior, Lake Simcoe i'll do on Saturday/Tom!

  11. #11
    JavaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    613 ghetto
    Posts
    2,815

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionT16 View Post
    Interesting, If I plan it i'll do that, though pass by Quebec and stay in Ottawa. I lived in Ottawa for 5 years, and used to go to Quebec, I'm not a fan of the place. It's a beautiful province, though the french part and food doesn't help me, esp being Vegan lol
    yeah, all that butter would be a no-no
    Montreal I've had a tough time being anglofone
    in Quebec I find them much more accommodating

  12. #12

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Be aware that touring ocean side around Gaspe will take a lot longer than anticipated.
    Lots and lots of small towns reducing speed to 50km/h.
    Additionally, the ferry ride to the island is a long one and you will lose a lot of time.
    12-14hrs one way.
    Once on the island you are going to want to spend a few days.

    I have a trip planned from Ontario to QC/NB/NS including Cabot trail in the fall.
    Considering one day taking ferry to PEI and bridge back...maybe.
    I am expecting that to take at least 7-8 days with some big mileage on the first and last days.
    You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle!
    Dan Aykroyd

    Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 2000 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
    Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
    Future Ride:KTM 790 Twin or Yamaha T7

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    5,956

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
    Considering one day taking ferry to PEI and bridge back...maybe.
    Pay attention to timing on that ferry as well. It's not nearly as big of a problem as the NL ferry but when I was there, the wait for the next ferry was four hours (I rode around to the bridge and back down to the ferry dock and beat the ferry by quite a bit).

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Milton
    Posts
    32

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Two years ago, I left Milton at noon on a Sunday. Almost made it to New Brunswick, and was in Sydney by 7pm Monday night. Jumped on the midnight ferry and was in Port aux Bass at 8am Tuesday. Spent Wed and Thursday night in St. Johns and took the long ferry Friday afternoon back to Sydney. Cabot trail was Saturday. Rode to Saratoga NY and watched a few races with a buddy and back home Monday via Lewiston. The worst ride was by far was the 1stday but if you want to make time, the hwy is the only way. This August, I'm flying to Halifax and renting a car....lol

    Cheers!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    428

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    I have taken a road trip to Newfoundland and it is a huge PITA with the ferry in terms of time and $$. If you have never been I would recommend it, but if you are looking to be on the road for 10 or so days I wound't bother. Stay in the mainland and NS and hop on over the bridge to PEI if you've never been there. I would take the Tans Canada Hwy there, but skip off of it when you get to Montreal and hop on Hwy 40 towards Trois-Rivieres and make a quick detour north to "La Mourice National Park". It is about 45 mins north and is a superb ride (I did this in a car and have been meaning to go back on my bike). You can make the loop and come back down to Grand Mere, take a nice scenic route to Quebec city, spend a night and hop back on the TC. Might be too much of a detour for you, but you will really enjoy it! QC is a beautiful province, the people are just pr!cks.
    Here is a quick route that I've done up for you. Its something to consider.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/46.34...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
    As others have said, head back through the US. Much more scenic and enjoyable compared to the TC and it will be a new ride back for you also

  16. #16
    Hardwrkr13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ganaraska Forest
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    The Canadian TC route is terribly boring unless you add in some days to go a more northern route.
    NL will be tough on a 10-day ride if you want to sight see at all before the ferry so I'd suggest picking a northern route or NL but not both.
    If it were me (actually if it were me I'd fly and rent something out there) I'd take the US route and cross over near St Annes then do some great roads all the way to the Cabot Trail taking time to sight-see and enjoy local fare. Take the TC home and if you're not yet in the "Gawd I just want to be home already" mentality on the final days then veer through a northern route.
    Have a drink for me at the Red Shoe in Mabou. I got engaged on the Cabot Trail 2 weeks ago.
    2015 Victory Magnum
    2018 KTM 300XC
    2014 Yamaha YZ450F
    2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    5,956

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrkr13 View Post
    I got engaged on the Cabot Trail 2 weeks ago.
    Congrats

  18. #18
    MacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Quote Originally Posted by arogal View Post
    I have taken a road trip to Newfoundland and it is a huge PITA with the ferry in terms of time and $$. If you have never been I would recommend it, but if you are looking to be on the road for 10 or so days I wound't bother. Stay in the mainland and NS and hop on over the bridge to PEI if you've never been there. I would take the Tans Canada Hwy there, but skip off of it when you get to Montreal and hop on Hwy 40 towards Trois-Rivieres and make a quick detour north to "La Mourice National Park". It is about 45 mins north and is a superb ride (I did this in a car and have been meaning to go back on my bike). You can make the loop and come back down to Grand Mere, take a nice scenic route to Quebec city, spend a night and hop back on the TC. Might be too much of a detour for you, but you will really enjoy it! QC is a beautiful province, the people are just pr!cks.
    Here is a quick route that I've done up for you. Its something to consider.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/46.34...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
    As others have said, head back through the US. Much more scenic and enjoyable compared to the TC and it will be a new ride back for you also
    Perfect - you could loop north to Rouyn Noranda and across then La Mauricie National Park ...might find the west entrance tricky to find

    https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/qc/mauricie

    Gaspe Loop is really nice and I regret not doing it sooner ....

    woke up to this one morning



    We did this



    Cabot Trail make sure you check for construction ahead and take a break at Meat Cove for whale watching.

    Peggy's Cove is a worthwhile 1/2 hour break.

    Do Mount Washington on the way back.

    Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS x 2 both sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a

  19. #19

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Thanks for all the suggestions, La Maurice is nice, I went there last year and was awesome!

    Im thinking of doing this from August 1st - August 10th, I'll be skipping Newfoundland due to ferry time and cost. I think 10 days to ride up to NS, do the Cabot trail, Gaspe Loop, the back through Maine and Vermont should be enough time. Did you guys stay at places or camp, I have a Hennessy Hammock I used when i cycled up to Ottawa, are there many trees to pop it up on, or is AirBnB recommended?

    Also, i'm still on the bikes stock tires, they probably have around 3-4k tread life, any place in NS I can order tires in advance, or states side to change them?

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    on my bike
    Posts
    8,033

    Re: Toronto to Newfounland

    Pro Cycle in Dartmouth https://www.procycleonline.com/

    Although, I've found that the last bit of tire wears out faster than the first bit (and worn tires are more vulnerable to punctures), so I'd be inclined to start the trip with new tires.
    Last edited by Brian P; 07-22-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •