VRRA Press release-modern racers welcome to race @ calabogie july 27-29 2018 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VRRA Press release-modern racers welcome to race @ calabogie july 27-29 2018

boyoboy

from the vrra forum;

Press release to the racing community-

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:34 pm
The Vintage Road Racing Association as an active member of the racing community is pleased to announce a cooperative opportunity for all licensed road racers to join their 3rd event of the season-

The VRRA Grand Prix of Calabogie.

For one event only the VRRA is opening its doors to the racing community and is offering a full schedule of Practice, Endurance, and Sprint Racing to all licensed road racers. The Grand Prix schedule has been cooperatively re-structured using the RACE SuperSeries class structure template to provide a full schedule of both modern and vintage racing at the incredible 20-turn world class facility of Calabogie Motorsports Park July 27-29, 2018.

The VRRA is very proud to have been able to celebrate the 50th Anniversary last year in a way that truly honored the achievements of that era, and this outreach to the racing community is not only a chance for all racers to experience the magnificent Calabogie Motorsports complex in conjunction with the VRRA, but also provides a fundraiser for the volunteer organization to replenish reserves and continue its efforts in historical Canadian racing preservation. All are welcome including RACE, CSBK, ASM, SOAR, Moto-Nation and ARL.

All entrants must pre-register through the VRRA’s Series Tracker online registration no later than July 21, 2018. Weekend memberships are available for $1, and all licensed racers are welcome to participate in the event.

Please contact the VRRA’s Competition Coordinator- Ashton Bond for any questions or help registering: imtabond@gmail.com

That's a great deal as you don't have to buy a full VRRA license. I believe they are the only organisation that race at that facility so if anyone wanted to take part in an actual race there its a great opportunity.

I was a member of Westwood when I lived in Vancouver and we had a $1 reciprocal arrangement with other clubs in the Pacific NW. Its a great way to experience new tracks.

I'd like to rebuild my RD350LC I had at Westwood and get out at either RACE or the VRRA. Unfortunately it doesn't fit into any RACE or VRRA classes due to the larger than stock displacement - just a question of time and money... LOL.

Last edited:
That's a great deal as you don't have to buy a full VRRA license. I believe they are the only organisation that race at that facility so if anyone wanted to take part in an actual race there its a great opportunity.

I was a member of Westwood when I lived in Vancouver and we had a $1 reciprocal arrangement with other clubs in the Pacific NW. Its a great way to experience new tracks.

I'd like to rebuild my RD350LC I had at Westwood and get out at either RACE or the VRRA. Unfortunately it doesn't fit into any RACE or VRRA classes due to the larger than stock displacement - just a question of time and money... LOL.

The RD350LC fits into the Lightweight Sportsman class and Lightweight superbike class with RACE. And it would be competitive. No matter what modifications you have done to it.

The VRRA rewrote history regarding the 350LC and force it into p3 middle vs 750cc four strokes, and if you have it punched past 5% over bore, you go into p3 heavy vs 1125cc super bikes.

Its a bit of a joke they dont allow the best lightweight bike built in the 80s to race in lightweight.

Thanks LWTracer. I should re-read the RACE rule book.

Yes. Unfortunately it’s a Farhon top end so it’s way above the 5% for the VRRA. LC barrels are plentiful on eBay so I would just need some porting and a set of pipes made to bring it back to 350.

But if RACE allows the top end it may be an easier way to get it back on the track.

it looks period as well. It has a TZ350e tank, seat and fairing and the frame is nicely braced. Just need to replace the rear Hagon shock.

It’s a shame it’s just sitting there

That Farhon kit is a great top end. If you ever want to sell it let me know.

If you want to go back down to 350 have you considered TZ bits and pieces? The TZ350 crank and top end are pretty much a bolt on.

Even better, there are a couple of companies in the UK making TZ700/750 reproduction barrels. A pair of 700 cylinders will keep you at 350 and I think its better than the actual TZ350 lump as it has reed valves and a much nicer power band, and since the RD had reed valves originally its VRRA Legal.

The other thing is I have a friend in Toronto that has a LC top end and pipes that were ported by Glyn Laraway at GPL. They are really nice as they have the triple exhaust ports like the Cheetah Cub. It was a VRRA bike and legal but he doesn't race it any more, perhaps he would be willing to sell some of his stuff.

I think any of the options above make you legal for both RACE and VRRA. If their schedules align that's a lot of racing

BTW, I always thought RACE and VRRA should be doing more stuff together anyway. I think the $1 temp license for one event a year would help some cross pollination.

I'm a 2 stroke Devotee and think these things should be ridden :)

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Definitely good options and I completely agree, these things were made to be ridden... LOL

I'll send you a PM

I’m in Toronto this weekend so I’m going to go up to Calabogie and watch. I have to say that the VRRA do put on a really good show, I think it’s much better than AHRMA. I just wish there were other spots around the track you could watch from.

Staying at the Best Western in Perth, never stayed there before. Hope it’s OK

Back
Top Bottom