what would you build? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

what would you build?

The problem with electric motorcycles is they are impossibly expensive, particularly small ones. Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki make 150cc 18hp ICE motorcycles with a top speed of 140kmh and a range 800km -- they sell them around the world for $1000 to 2400 CAD. An electric bike with the same top speed and a range of 30hwy to 75 city costs 3-5 times as much to build and sells for well over $10K. There is no economic argument, no convenience argument (5 hour charge?), and the green argument is tough when considering the ICE bike goes 80km on a liter of fuel.
Totally agree unless the government considers making the small ones more appealing in other ways, like allowing them on bicycle paths. How cool would it be to have a 160 pound electric motorcycle that you could take on the Toronto Island Ferry or ride up the Don Valley green belt.

"150cc 18hp ICE motorcycles with a top speed of 140kmh and a range 800km -- they sell them around the world for $1000 to 2400 CAD"
They do? PCX150 current list shows 4,099 plus, where are you shopping?

Personally, I'd like a small ADV bike, 200-ish CC air-cooled single cylinder, fuel injected, with good ground clearance. Single disk front brakes and a drum rear, maybe? And a utilitarian cargo rack like my Honda CT90, as standard. Twin shocks? Sub 120 Kg wet weight. Kick start only! But I'm weird
I just found out the Honda CG 125i Cargo, which are everywhere in Brazil, ticks every single box for me :agave: Even kick start!

http://www.honda.com.br/motos/cg-125i-cargo

And to boot, its the equivalent of CAD$2400

is that a drum front brake?

At least the 160 has a front disk...and cast rims....
CG_160_Cargo_2018_01_0.jpg

is that a drum front brake?

At least the 160 has a front disk...and cast rims....
CG_160_Cargo_2018_01_0.jpg
Ahhh true! I didn't even think about the front brake

I don't mind spoked wheels and tubed tires, but I don't have much experience so maybe that opinion will change?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

...spoked wheels...
Better then anything for some applications, you can beat the crap out of them and they rarely fly to pieces all at once.

Ahhh true! I didn't even think about the front brake

I don't mind spoked wheels and tubed tires, but I don't have much experience so maybe that opinion will change?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

can bash a steel wheel back into shape
throw a tube in there and go
try that with an alloy wheel and you'll soon be looking for a new one

as for the drum brake, yeah they suck
but are cheap and the shoes can be re-ligned over and over again
pretty handy in a place where there are no parts for anything

Totally agree unless the government considers making the small ones more appealing in other ways, like allowing them on bicycle paths. How cool would it be to have a 160 pound electric motorcycle that you could take on the Toronto Island Ferry or ride up the Don Valley green belt.

"150cc 18hp ICE motorcycles with a top speed of 140kmh and a range 800km -- they sell them around the world for $1000 to 2400 CAD"
They do? PCX150 current list shows 4,099 plus, where are you shopping?
My point is Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki don't offer these in Canada. Honda did for a couple of years then quit (CBR125). In countries where you can but a R1.5, it costs $2400 CAD, a 125 standard is about $1000CAD.

Try Yamaha India, it has specs and prices on their littlest street bikes. You will find the same for many Asian and South American countries, just not always in English. :https://www.yamaha-motor-india.com

hmm. what does ICE stand for? checked acronym finder w/o success. maybe it was there, but w over 100 possibilities listed...

Internal Combustion Engine or if your hybrid battery dies In Case of Emergency you use your ICE.

To the topic, stuff a Bolt motor and battery into a Goldwing. A Voltwing?? Anyone want to guess range?

Would the batteries fin onto a Wing? Let's say it does. So wing is half the weight of a Volt(lol), so double the mileage?

How bout this for $2400CCAD. https://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/motorcycle-yzf-r15v3.html
[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/xMv9mQ6Knvo[/video]

I liked this guys review. Reasonably balanced and funny. "Speaking of the headlight, it looks good, but it's pretty useless whether on low beams or high"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aptIRJMrwcs

Apparently they come stock with bias ply tires but a radial upgrade is available for the rear wheel only. I've never heard of a single tire upgrade before.

Got thinking of this today when I was riding :lol: an amphibious bike !

... and not some crap either it has to perform like a jet ski

I'd love a scaled down version of my ST1300. Say a 600 V4 or I4 with a 6speed, still have the shaft drive, electric windscreen and 29L fuel tank but build it a little smaller and lighter, maybe a solo touring bike with no back seat, just a generous sized luggage rack. All that comfort, still some decent speed and a 600ish km fuel range, not to mention the 600cc insurance!

Would the batteries fin onto a Wing? Let's say it does. So wing is half the weight of a Volt(lol), so double the mileage?

Aerodynamics suck on the wing. At lower speeds electric is king. Infinite mpg at zero MPH. Ice is infinite fuel consumption at zero MPH. Sorta

The Fazer 800 was the closest thing to my ideal "normal" bike. I didn't like the weirdly small dash but I guess you would just get used to it pretty quick.

My perfect bike would be something like a Tuono with more wind protection, semi-active suspension (let's see if that summons Shaman) and the LED tach from the ZX-10R. I think would accept this in Triumph Speed Triple form as well

Back
Top Bottom