Advice on IBA SS1600K route

Thread: Advice on IBA SS1600K route

Advice on IBA SS1600K route

I'm planning to do the SaddleSore 1600K this summer. Would like some advice on my route options. I will might be doing this solo on my CB500X. Hoping to get some advice from other riders who may have ridden these highways.

The plan is to leave at 4am so that it's daylight by the time I hit outskirts and hopefully on a major highway by the time it gets dark to avoid wildlife. I'm also not interested in crossing to the US.

First route. Go north. I'd get to ride thru places I've never been before. Are there enough gas stations along this route? Will I be able to maintain a decent average speed on these highways?

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.96...d43.967851!3e0

The other option would be East. It's an easy steady pace, fuel/food is readily available but I've seen this section of the 401 to Montreal many times and it seems less interesting than going north.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: Advice on IBA SS1600K route

The second one is a one way so a separate return trip. What's the range on your bike?

I'd do the first one as a loop home if I didn't want a layover.

If I took the second one I'd keep going and see the east coast, making a real trip out of it.

The 2nd route is a round trip. I turn around and head back on the 401 once I reach the mid-point similar to what another member here, Morrissey did.

The range on my bike comfortably would be 350km.

I'd love to make this a multi day trip but unfortunately, there are things preventing me from doing so.
    Last edited by i-WERKS; 07-05-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Route 1 north is great. No problems with fuel. There can be lots of police as you head west out of Sudbury. Speed limits through and around some of those towns is strictly enforced. No fuel on 129 north to Chapleau but just gas up before. Good route...just be careful with speed.

Quote Originally Posted by i-WERKS View Post
    First route. Go north. I'd get to ride thru places I've never been before. Are there enough gas stations along this route? Will I be able to maintain a decent average speed on these highways?

When I went through a few years ago, 129 got pretty slow due to frost heaves and broken pavement.

I did a SS1000 from Toronto->Sudbury->Montreal->Toronto. All highway, but just short of 1609 unless you rode out to the eastern suburb of Montreal (Repentigny).

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    When I went through a few years ago, 129 got pretty slow due to frost heaves and broken pavement.
    That's where his choice of bike shines.

OP, I would do northern route as it's a much much nicer ride and 1600 in 24 hours gives you tons of time. If you were trying for 1500 Gold (2425 km in 24 hours), I would stay stick to the slab.

I would strap a jerry can to the bike to make sure you don't have any fuel problems (you probably won't need it, but 10L of fuel saves a ton of walking or it can help dilute a bad fill).

Have you done a long ride before? I find a vista cruise and throttle rocker really make for a much nicer day for very little money.

EDIT:
    As an aside, how the hell does someone do Bun Burner Quattro? That is 9700 km in 96 hours.
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 07-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Good to know about no gas on 129. Does anyone know of the frost heaves/broken pavement is still an issue? Sorry Lightcycle, I'd take you word for it but according to your blog, it might have been a decade since you've been on this highway.

Lightcycle, i also read your article on your SS1000 ride which is the reason route #2 goes onto the toll route instead of going thru Montreal.

Google maps shows route 1 taking about 4 hours longer than route 2. That's a significant difference. Route 2 seems much more leisurely but also much less adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    That's where his choice of bike shines.

OP, I would do northern route as it's a much much nicer ride and 1600 in 24 hours gives you tons of time. If you were trying for 1500 Gold (2425 km in 24 hours), I would stay stick to the slab.

I would strap a jerry can to the bike to make sure you don't have any fuel problems (you probably won't need it, but 10L of fuel saves a ton of walking or it can help dilute a bad fill).

Have you done a long ride before? I find a vista cruise and throttle rocker really make for a much nicer day for very little money.
    I do have a Go Cruise throttle lock. I will add the jerry can to my kit if I take the north route as you've suggested. Longest ride I've done so far is 800km in 1 day.