Advice on IBA SS1600K route | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice on IBA SS1600K route

i-WERKS

I'm planning to do the SaddleSore 1600K this summer. Would like some advice on my route options. I will might be doing this solo on my CB500X. Hoping to get some advice from other riders who may have ridden these highways.

The plan is to leave at 4am so that it's daylight by the time I hit outskirts and hopefully on a major highway by the time it gets dark to avoid wildlife. I'm also not interested in crossing to the US.

First route. Go north. I'd get to ride thru places I've never been before. Are there enough gas stations along this route? Will I be able to maintain a decent average speed on these highways?

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.9...12c2a6a9faf!2m2!1d-79.2610164!2d43.967851!3e0

The other option would be East. It's an easy steady pace, fuel/food is readily available but I've seen this section of the 401 to Montreal many times and it seems less interesting than going north.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.9...12c2a6a9faf!2m2!1d-79.2610164!2d43.967851!3e0

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The second one is a one way so a separate return trip. What's the range on your bike?

I'd do the first one as a loop home if I didn't want a layover.

If I took the second one I'd keep going and see the east coast, making a real trip out of it.

The 2nd route is a round trip. I turn around and head back on the 401 once I reach the mid-point similar to what another member here, Morrissey did.

The range on my bike comfortably would be 350km.

I'd love to make this a multi day trip but unfortunately, there are things preventing me from doing so.

Last edited:
Route 1 north is great. No problems with fuel. There can be lots of police as you head west out of Sudbury. Speed limits through and around some of those towns is strictly enforced. No fuel on 129 north to Chapleau but just gas up before. Good route...just be careful with speed.

First route. Go north. I'd get to ride thru places I've never been before. Are there enough gas stations along this route? Will I be able to maintain a decent average speed on these highways?

When I went through a few years ago, 129 got pretty slow due to frost heaves and broken pavement.

I did a SS1000 from Toronto->Sudbury->Montreal->Toronto. All highway, but just short of 1609 unless you rode out to the eastern suburb of Montreal (Repentigny).

When I went through a few years ago, 129 got pretty slow due to frost heaves and broken pavement.

That's where his choice of bike shines.

OP, I would do northern route as it's a much much nicer ride and 1600 in 24 hours gives you tons of time. If you were trying for 1500 Gold (2425 km in 24 hours), I would stay stick to the slab.

I would strap a jerry can to the bike to make sure you don't have any fuel problems (you probably won't need it, but 10L of fuel saves a ton of walking or it can help dilute a bad fill).

Have you done a long ride before? I find a vista cruise and throttle rocker really make for a much nicer day for very little money.

EDIT:
As an aside, how the hell does someone do Bun Burner Quattro? That is 9700 km in 96 hours.

Last edited:
Good to know about no gas on 129. Does anyone know of the frost heaves/broken pavement is still an issue? Sorry Lightcycle, I'd take you word for it but according to your blog, it might have been a decade since you've been on this highway. ;)

Lightcycle, i also read your article on your SS1000 ride which is the reason route #2 goes onto the toll route instead of going thru Montreal.

Google maps shows route 1 taking about 4 hours longer than route 2. That's a significant difference. Route 2 seems much more leisurely but also much less adventurous.

OP, I would do northern route as it's a much much nicer ride and 1600 in 24 hours gives you tons of time. If you were trying for 1500 Gold (2425 km in 24 hours), I would stay stick to the slab.

I would strap a jerry can to the bike to make sure you don't have any fuel problems (you probably won't need it, but 10L of fuel saves a ton of walking or it can help dilute a bad fill).

Have you done a long ride before? I find a vista cruise and throttle rocker really make for a much nicer day for very little money.

I do have a Go Cruise throttle lock. I will add the jerry can to my kit if I take the north route as you've suggested. Longest ride I've done so far is 800km in 1 day.

EDIT:
As an aside, how the hell does someone do Bun Burner Quattro? That is 9700 km in 96 hours.
I don't think you can do that legally in North America, even illegally that's nearly impossible. I did an unofficial 2000 and 50cc years ago, I was running just over 100kmh average, however my typical rolling speed was 150 from CA West Texas, then 120 beyond. I figure you would need to maintain about 140KMH and get by on 6 hrs rest per day.

I don't think you can do that legally in North America, even illegally that's nearly impossible. I did an unofficial 2000 and 50cc years ago, I was running just over 100kmh average, however my typical rolling speed was 150 from CA West Texas, then 120 beyond. I figure you would need to maintain about 140KMH and get by on 6 hrs rest per day.

That 6 hours includes all fueling, food and pit stops at 140 km/h. Realistically your speed needs to be even higher (or you get by on 4 hours sleep, but that starts to get dodgy after multiple days).

In the old days with no Montana speed limit, I guess you could just go back and forth at 200+ refueling at each edge of the plains. Now that they have speed limits again I think you're right, doing this is north america is really asking for some horrendous tickets (and theoretically IBA doesn't want you to break laws so they could deny the certificate).

Route 1 north is great. No problems with fuel. There can be lots of police as you head west out of Sudbury. Speed limits through and around some of those towns is strictly enforced. No fuel on 129 north to Chapleau but just gas up before. Good route...just be careful with speed.

There is fuel at Aubrey Falls 129 and Ranger lake road , it's halfway to chapleau right on 129. Also Foleyet has fuel halfway between Chapleau and Timmins. There is no Premium fuel available between Hwy 17 and Timmins, the gas can would be a good item to have. Also go right into Chapleau for fuel at the Esso , the station on Hwy 101 is a native non brand fuel. Lots of moose on this stretch at night !

That 6 hours includes all fueling, food and pit stops at 140 km/h. Realistically your speed needs to be even higher (or you get by on 4 hours sleep, but that starts to get dodgy after multiple days).

In the old days with no Montana speed limit, I guess you could just go back and forth at 200+ refueling at each edge of the plains. Now that they have speed limits again I think you're right, doing this is north america is really asking for some horrendous tickets (and theoretically IBA doesn't want you to break laws so they could deny the certificate).
Another limiting factor is you need a bike that can go 10K without service, run non stop for 18hours a day at 140 without letting you down, have good range, and be reasonably comfortable.

Well, i did it. I was about 1 hr faster than planned but lost half of it in a Tim Horton's line up in Trenton on the final leg. Last 4 hours of the ride was in the rain which wasn't much fun either.
3URYLpa.jpg

ESBIVbt.jpg

The route
Tl8WNfm.jpg

The rig.. had a camelbak bladder in my backpack inside a cooler bag to keep it cold. I attached the drinking tube to the bottom of my jacket and into my pocket so I can drink while riding. The best thing i picked up for this ride was the Airhawk seat cushion.
pDrpZxk.jpg

La Verendye Wildlife Reserve in Quebec was the highlight of the ride. Plenty of picnic spots along hwy 117 that runs thru the reserve. The hilly scenery was spectacular.
On the way to my 2nd last fuel stop, I burned thru the entire tank in 240KM due to higher speeds. My usual range is 350km per tank so this caught me off guard. To add to it, the gas station my GPS was leading me to was closed. Luckily, there was another station near by.
I had a total of 9 fuel stops. I had originally planned to only break at gas stops but found i needed quick 5 minute stretch breaks every 1-1.5 hours. I carried all food, water and drinks on the bike so that I can avoid wasting time buying these things during the ride. It was challenging but not extremely difficult. I had a great time.

Nice run congrats!
Curious I guess the northern wildfires didn't cause any issues for you?

Sent from the moon!

Cool! Congrats! I'd like to do an Iron Butt one day.

Cool bike too

Nice run congrats!
Curious I guess the northern wildfires didn't cause any issues for you?

Sent from the moon!

Thanks.

There was a sign at the north end of Barrie saying that access to Temagami was restricted due to fires but i went through that area no problem. I didn't encounter any signs of fires on this route.

The Easiest IBA run of 1600 km is the Lake Ontario and Lake Erie ride. You have Hwy all the way and good speeds as well.
If you want an easy first run, this is the one to do it on.

Back
Top Bottom