New rider going to Racer 5 intro program? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider going to Racer 5 intro program?

Star72

Hello,

I got my Ninja 400 as my first bike last month and so far I have about 1200 km on it. I know that's nothing but I can't wait to ride on track already.
I like Racer 5's program since 1) I don't have to prep and tow my bike and their CBR125R doesn't sound too scary to me and 2) I'd rather get instructions for my first outing. However, their staff suggested me to wait for a year.

I'm quite on the fence on this one because:
pros:
I have several track days/HPDEs in my car so I know somewhat what to expect on track.
I'm physically fit.
I don't think keep riding on streets would teach me much more, especially curvy roads are so far and few between here.

cons:
They know better about their programs and they suggested me not to pay them until next year. I've never experienced any race school so I don't know where their education starts.

I have seen several posts about their experiences at either Racer 5 or FAST. Would you recommend their programs to someone who is new to riding but have some track driving experiences?

Thanks in advance.

You should know the basics of how to operate a motorcycle sufficiently that basic operation is second-nature (you don't have to think about it).

If you have to think about which lever to squeeze to make the bike stop, it's too early. If you have to think about gear selection and how to change gear, it's too early.

I should be fine with braking and shifting. Gear selection might be a bit problematic since I'm staying under 8k rpm for the most time

If you feel ready then do it.
I know guys that have only ever ridden on the track and NEVER ridden on the street so the argument of being "too new" doesn't always apply...

Just did last weekend and it was a blast. I think you would be perfect for it as there was a lady there that had literally Never ridden a motorcycle. She made it through the course but you could tell she was a bit lost out there. There was also a girl with her dad and she was also very new but she too made it out just fine. I would say many of the people were very new to riding and this program helped them tremendously...

Stop thinking, just do it. Remember though you are paying for an advanced riding course. It's your dime to waste if you are still messing with the basics.

2nd piece of advice. Open your ears and close your mouth, the instructors are just that - the instructors. Listen and try to apply their techniques. The rest will come naturally.

I find when the ego stays in the ability comes naturally. However without the basics of track riding, hard braking, aggressive throttle, committed cornering, you are really out there for a fast (for you) ride. That can be detrimental to others in your course who wanna learn the track.

Just a few thoughts

I started riding street in late 2016. Each person is different obviously, but at 1,200 kms I definitely felt like I had barely scratched the surface and had so much more to learn about riding. I put about 10,000 kms on street in 2017. Commuting, touring, light trails, weekend rips in rain, shine, freezing cold, hot and humid, windy, whatever and learnt more with every ride.

I did the Racer5 intro program in May 2018 after one full riding season (also have 3 years race karting experience). Before going, I read a couple of books on sport riding technique and watched many YouTube videos that others on this site had recommended - I still watch them because I feel there's always more you can learn or if it's not something new, it reinforces good practice.

I'm not looking to discourage you from doing it earlier since we all learn in different ways, but for me personally, the timing was perfect and if I had the choice to do it again, I wouldn't have done it any sooner.

thrash a dirt bike first...best school ever

or FAST will take your money for phase 1 - and they have some lwt bikes.

did you get the 2018 ninja400? if so please review for us in the general forum

Last edited:
Both FAST and racer5 are good schools IMO. As a newer rider I would gravitate towards racer5 with the smaller bikes, more track time and better value. As a highly skilled rider, FAST does have (had?) guys like Andrew Nelson, which are very experienced. The 125's are approachable, but IMO to get maximum value, its best to have a year or so under your belt on the street. Not spending times like learning basic functions like clutchless upshifting, rev maching, or gear selection will make the experience that much more rewarding.

I say wait a year and do it next year, you'll spend less time on the basics and more time focusing on learning advanced riding skills. Whatever you choose, definitely go, it's a great program.

I did R5 4 years ago and then again last year.
The course is really easy going, they never put pressure on you and they start with the basics.
If I remember correctly I didn't even touch the brakes for the first 2 days.

Previously I rode bikes on the street for many years and developed lots of bad habits. It took quite some effort to get rid of them and I'm still working on some.

IMO if you feel ready do one of these track schools (R5 or FAST) or look for a street riding one (I don't know any). You can also take the same or a different course later to develop your skills more.
It's good to learn clean technique from the beginning. You don't want to develop bad habit or do bad, risky maneuvers just because you don't know better.

I say do it as soon as you can. With the 125s the course is designed to teach you how to steer the bike using your weight getting off the bike and body position. There was zero time spent on braking shifting gearing counter steerting anything else really lol...

Yes, it's the 2018 Ninja 400.
I'll write something up. I haven't yet because I'm not sure how helpful it would be. The only other bikes I've ridden are the abused 125 cc's provided by RTI

FAST has quite a bit more formal classroom and theory time. Racer 5 focuses more on getting you out on the track and following the instructor.

If you're brand new and want to go with Racer 5, I'd recommend that you first read Twist of the Wrist 1 & 2 a couple of times so that you are introduced to the concepts (traction circle, racing line, look where you want to go, reference points, etc) before hopping on the bike. The instructors will tell you what to do and are very responsive to questions, but it helps to have some familiarity with the theory.

Yes, it's the 2018 Ninja 400.
I'll write something up. I haven't yet because I'm not sure how helpful it would be. The only other bikes I've ridden are the abused 125 cc's provided by RTI

2018 awesome. and I haven't met anyone who bought one. I think you made a good decision ...great value I think, and soon to be the most wanted lwt bike (imo lol).
a review would be great (later maybe?) general thoughts and likes / dislikes would be interesting. nice ride dude.

just my opinion. Riding a dirt bike builds skill quickly. you can practice your clutchless shifts, practice threshhold braking at the front and what it feels like when you lock up the front, how it feels to power out of turns with the rear tire sliding,
and you can drop the sucker with minimal or little damage....

link to dirt bike rental thread here http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ke-rental-schools&highlight=dirt+bike+rentals

makes me feel good that a new rider is looking to improve his skill set in a safe venue (race track or dirt). its the best approach, and the right thing to do. and smart !
keep her safe and ticket free on the street rider - the benefits of a clear drivers abstract are immense.

Stop thinking, just do it. Remember though you are paying for an advanced riding course. It's your dime to waste if you are still messing with the basics.

2nd piece of advice. Open your ears and close your mouth, the instructors are just that - the instructors. Listen and try to apply their techniques. The rest will come naturally.

I find when the ego stays in the ability comes naturally. However without the basics of track riding, hard braking, aggressive throttle, committed cornering, you are really out there for a fast (for you) ride. That can be detrimental to others in your course who wanna learn the track.

Just a few thoughts

Two years ago there was a gentleman taking Racer5 who had no experience riding a motorcycle. He didn't tell anyone and it was discovered when it was time to go out on the track he he didn't know how to use a clutch, he was stationary.
I spent the rest of the morning teaching him the basics on how to operate a motorcycle (starting, stopping and shifting), I used the meme new rider training model.
He was most improved over the weekend and was hanging with the faster guys by the end of the weekend.

I wouldn't advise this sort of crash course in riding but it can be done.

If you can operate a motorcycle at a basic level then you should have no issues with taking a Racer5 course. Great training and great people.

I just started reading the first Twist of the Wrist.
So far, all the stuff I saw in the book is the same as the theory I learned from HPDEs (traction circle, racing line - not sure how different this one is, vision, RPs etc)

Aha I might be less responsive if there are more twisty roads nearby. I guess this is a blessing in disguise? lol

Back
Top Bottom