M2 -> M Insurance Decrease? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

48Connor

First of all I did a quick forum search and didn't see anything, but I have no doubt this has been discussed before.

Last week I did the M2 Exit Test at the DriveTest center and passed! Yay me, right? I have a few questions about insurance now that I have my full M license.

1. Do I have to call my insurance company to inform them that I now have my M license?
2. And if so, do I call the broker or the actual insurance company? (This case being Paul South / Aviva)
3. Will my insurance rate go down now that I have my M license?
4. If so, would that take into effect immediately or after my year "contract" is over next May?

It would be nice to get a little decrease in insurance as paying $1900/yr with no tickets sucks. Not quite sure how everything worked out for my G because I wasn't a primary driver then, so I'm a little lost here. I could always call but figured I'd start here.

Thanks guys

I dont know if this is because of age or what, but to me 2k for a drz400 seems high

Especially considering you live in the sticks if i recall

Afaik premiums are recalculated at renewal

Most insurance companies don't really differentiate much between M2 to full M from what I've gathered, seen, and observed.

Aside from your record, they care about the number of years licensed as at least M2, mainly, and 5 years seems to be the key figure. 5 years clean with a full M and things get much more palatable.

Give them a call and find out. Depends on the insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know if this is because of age or what, but to me 2k for a drz400 seems high

Especially considering you live in the sticks if i recall

Afaik premiums are recalculated at renewal

Hahah I wouldn't call Courtice 'the sticks' but it ain't Brampton, thats for sure.

Yeah I'm 22, insured for just over 2 years, no tickets, accidents, claims or anything like that.

Most insurance companies don't really differentiate much between M2 to full M from what I've gathered, seen, and observed.

Aside from your record, they care about the number of years licensed as at least M2, mainly, and 5 years seems to be the key figure. 5 years clean with a full M and things get much more palatable.

Ah ok. That makes sense but that kind of sucks.

Yeah I've got a long ways away before I can get that discount...

Give them a call and find out. Depends on the insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll give them a call one night this week. I'm hoping for the best but not expecting anything amazing.

Hahah I wouldn't call Courtice

When we moved here 18 years ago it was considered the sticks only because nobody knew where the hell it was. "Between Oshawa and Bowmanville" was what we used to have to tell everyone.

But yes, thankfully we are in a low heat-score area for insurance purposes. Just west of Townline road though and it's higher.

When we moved here 18 years ago it was considered the sticks only because nobody knew where the hell it was. "Between Oshawa and Bowmanville" was what we used to have to tell everyone.

But yes, thankfully we are in a low heat-score area for insurance purposes. Just west of Townline road though and it's higher.

Yeah we've been here since '99. (or maybe it was '98, I was 4 I don't remember). I feel like most people not from here still call it "Court-ice" though, and most of the time I still end up explaining to people that I live just on the other side of Oshawa. I never say I live in Oshawa though, I can't be spreading that rumor around hahaha

Yeah we've been here since '99. (or maybe it was '98, I was 4 I don't remember). I feel like most people not from here still call it "Court-ice" though, and most of the time I still end up explaining to people that I live just on the other side of Oshawa. I never say I live in Oshawa though, I can't be spreading that rumor around hahaha

Isn't it just pronounced like "curtis"? Or am I wrong

Isn't it just pronounced like "curtis"? Or am I wrong

Curtis (or Kurtis), yeah, pronounced like that.

A lot of people from outside Ontario seem to always want to pronounce it as "Kour-teece" though for some reason. But they often bastardized "Oshawa" as well.

Damn, I have Aviva aswell, similar bike and pay $1050 a year. 35 and 0 lifetime tickets. You're still young though.

1. Do I have to call my insurance company to inform them that I now have my M license?
2. And if so, do I call the broker or the actual insurance company? (This case being Paul South / Aviva)
3. Will my insurance rate go down now that I have my M license?
4. If so, would that take into effect immediately or after my year "contract" is over next May?

I got my full M a couple of months ago.

1. I called Dalton Timmis and they updated it on my record.
2. I called the broker (Dalton Timmis), not Aviva.
3. It didn't in my case. If I remember correctly, I was told that I would have to hold the full M license for 4 years before it would help my insurance rate.
4. N/A.

Damn, I have Aviva aswell, similar bike and pay $1050 a year. 35 and 0 lifetime tickets. You're still young though.

$1000 a year would be nice! I'll look forward to that. I was paying more during my first year but it dropped a hundred or so after 1 year, but going from my second year of riding into my third the price stayed the same, which was disappointing.

I got my full M a couple of months ago.

1. I called Dalton Timmis and they updated it on my record.
2. I called the broker (Dalton Timmis), not Aviva.
3. It didn't in my case. If I remember correctly, I was told that I would have to hold the full M license for 4 years before it would help my insurance rate.
4. N/A.

Perfect thanks man!

I never got around to calling them this week, but seeing the outcome I guess I don't need to rush out.

I was with Aviva too my first year riding with a drz400

Different postal codes/ages etc but I was paying about $1250 my first year

Your rates will decrease when blah, blah, blah. They don't drop off a cliff when you pass some imaginary line he insurers paint on the road. Full M, over 25, sign of stability etc. About the only two things that would make a big difference would be a geographic move to safer turf or a sex change to female.

Lower rates, I've found, are carrots at the end of the stick.

I saved $40/year with The Personal
when going M2 - full M...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance rates are like gas prices....

If the change is in the insurer's favor, (IE higher) = IMMEDIATE change
If the change is in the insured's favor, (IE lower) = wait until renewal.... LOL

Insurance rates are like gas prices....

If the change is in the insurer's favor, (IE higher) = IMMEDIATE change
If the change is in the insured's favor, (IE lower) = wait until renewal.... LOL

Yeah no doubt. People are only quick to do things when it benefits them.

I was with Aviva too my first year riding with a drz400

Different postal codes/ages etc but I was paying about $1250 my first year

Holy hell and Im here all ****** off because they hiked my rates this year and Im paying $957/year for a 750cc sport-touring bike. And I live in Jane/finch the most expensive insurance zip code in Canada.

Your rates will decrease when blah, blah, blah. They don't drop off a cliff when you pass some imaginary line he insurers paint on the road. Full M, over 25, sign of stability etc. About the only two things that would make a big difference would be a geographic move to safer turf or a sex change to female.

Lower rates, I've found, are carrots at the end of the stick.

It's 2018, you just need to identify as X.
https://mitchellwhale.com/the-x-factor-genderless-auto-insurance-hits-ontario/
$1000 a year would be nice! I'll look forward to that. I was paying more during my first year but it dropped a hundred or so after 1 year, but going from my second year of riding into my third the price stayed the same, which was disappointing.

Here's my track record for age/insurance for liability + fire and theft coverage (lived at 3 different addresses during this time but all in York Region):
17/18 - CBR125 - $3500 (Didn't ride this year)
19 - CBR125 - $1900
20 - CBR125 - $1450 (M license here)
21 - CBR125 - $1200
22 - Ninja300 - $1250
23 - Ninja300 - $1000
24 - Ninja300 - $850
25 - Ninja300 - $650
26 - Ninja300 - $650

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom