M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?



Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

  1. #1
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Forum Sponsor
    First of all I did a quick forum search and didn't see anything, but I have no doubt this has been discussed before.

    Last week I did the M2 Exit Test at the DriveTest center and passed! Yay me, right? I have a few questions about insurance now that I have my full M license.

    1. Do I have to call my insurance company to inform them that I now have my M license?
    2. And if so, do I call the broker or the actual insurance company? (This case being Paul South / Aviva)
    3. Will my insurance rate go down now that I have my M license?
    4. If so, would that take into effect immediately or after my year "contract" is over next May?

    It would be nice to get a little decrease in insurance as paying $1900/yr with no tickets sucks. Not quite sure how everything worked out for my G because I wasn't a primary driver then, so I'm a little lost here. I could always call but figured I'd start here.

    Thanks guys
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  2. #2

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    I dont know if this is because of age or what, but to me 2k for a drz400 seems high

    Especially considering you live in the sticks if i recall

    Afaik premiums are recalculated at renewal

  3. #3
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Most insurance companies don't really differentiate much between M2 to full M from what I've gathered, seen, and observed.

    Aside from your record, they care about the number of years licensed as at least M2, mainly, and 5 years seems to be the key figure. 5 years clean with a full M and things get much more palatable.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  4. #4
    nakkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Kitt's mainly, London, ON sometimes
    Posts
    3,199

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Give them a call and find out. Depends on the insurer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    I dont know if this is because of age or what, but to me 2k for a drz400 seems high

    Especially considering you live in the sticks if i recall

    Afaik premiums are recalculated at renewal

    Hahah I wouldn't call Courtice 'the sticks' but it ain't Brampton, thats for sure.

    Yeah I'm 22, insured for just over 2 years, no tickets, accidents, claims or anything like that.
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  6. #6
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Most insurance companies don't really differentiate much between M2 to full M from what I've gathered, seen, and observed.

    Aside from your record, they care about the number of years licensed as at least M2, mainly, and 5 years seems to be the key figure. 5 years clean with a full M and things get much more palatable.
    Ah ok. That makes sense but that kind of sucks.

    Yeah I've got a long ways away before I can get that discount...



    Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Give them a call and find out. Depends on the insurer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'll give them a call one night this week. I'm hoping for the best but not expecting anything amazing.
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  7. #7
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by 48Connor View Post
    Hahah I wouldn't call Courtice
    When we moved here 18 years ago it was considered the sticks only because nobody knew where the hell it was. "Between Oshawa and Bowmanville" was what we used to have to tell everyone.

    But yes, thankfully we are in a low heat-score area for insurance purposes. Just west of Townline road though and it's higher.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  8. #8
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    When we moved here 18 years ago it was considered the sticks only because nobody knew where the hell it was. "Between Oshawa and Bowmanville" was what we used to have to tell everyone.

    But yes, thankfully we are in a low heat-score area for insurance purposes. Just west of Townline road though and it's higher.
    Yeah we've been here since '99. (or maybe it was '98, I was 4 I don't remember). I feel like most people not from here still call it "Court-ice" though, and most of the time I still end up explaining to people that I live just on the other side of Oshawa. I never say I live in Oshawa though, I can't be spreading that rumor around hahaha
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midtown
    Posts
    707

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by 48Connor View Post
    Yeah we've been here since '99. (or maybe it was '98, I was 4 I don't remember). I feel like most people not from here still call it "Court-ice" though, and most of the time I still end up explaining to people that I live just on the other side of Oshawa. I never say I live in Oshawa though, I can't be spreading that rumor around hahaha
    Isn't it just pronounced like "curtis"? Or am I wrong
    Current: 2006 SV650
    Gone: 2006 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS

  10. #10
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by sevet View Post
    Isn't it just pronounced like "curtis"? Or am I wrong
    Curtis (or Kurtis), yeah, pronounced like that.

    A lot of people from outside Ontario seem to always want to pronounce it as "Kour-teece" though for some reason. But they often bastardized "Oshawa" as well.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  11. #11

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Damn, I have Aviva aswell, similar bike and pay $1050 a year. 35 and 0 lifetime tickets. You're still young though.

  12. #12
    bastak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    56

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by 48Connor View Post
    1. Do I have to call my insurance company to inform them that I now have my M license?
    2. And if so, do I call the broker or the actual insurance company? (This case being Paul South / Aviva)
    3. Will my insurance rate go down now that I have my M license?
    4. If so, would that take into effect immediately or after my year "contract" is over next May?
    I got my full M a couple of months ago.

    1. I called Dalton Timmis and they updated it on my record.
    2. I called the broker (Dalton Timmis), not Aviva.
    3. It didn't in my case. If I remember correctly, I was told that I would have to hold the full M license for 4 years before it would help my insurance rate.
    4. N/A.
    2018 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

  13. #13
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max527 View Post
    Damn, I have Aviva aswell, similar bike and pay $1050 a year. 35 and 0 lifetime tickets. You're still young though.
    $1000 a year would be nice! I'll look forward to that. I was paying more during my first year but it dropped a hundred or so after 1 year, but going from my second year of riding into my third the price stayed the same, which was disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by bastak View Post
    I got my full M a couple of months ago.

    1. I called Dalton Timmis and they updated it on my record.
    2. I called the broker (Dalton Timmis), not Aviva.
    3. It didn't in my case. If I remember correctly, I was told that I would have to hold the full M license for 4 years before it would help my insurance rate.
    4. N/A.
    Perfect thanks man!

    I never got around to calling them this week, but seeing the outcome I guess I don't need to rush out.
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  14. #14

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    I was with Aviva too my first year riding with a drz400

    Different postal codes/ages etc but I was paying about $1250 my first year

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Toronto, GL1500
    Posts
    6,277

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Your rates will decrease when blah, blah, blah. They don't drop off a cliff when you pass some imaginary line he insurers paint on the road. Full M, over 25, sign of stability etc. About the only two things that would make a big difference would be a geographic move to safer turf or a sex change to female.

    Lower rates, I've found, are carrots at the end of the stick.

  16. #16
    Underdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    222

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    I saved $40/year with The Personal
    when going M2 - full M...


    Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oshawa/Thornhill
    Posts
    3,047

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Insurance rates are like gas prices....

    If the change is in the insurer's favor, (IE higher) = IMMEDIATE change
    If the change is in the insured's favor, (IE lower) = wait until renewal.... LOL

  18. #18
    48Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    368

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by hedo2002 View Post
    Insurance rates are like gas prices....

    If the change is in the insurer's favor, (IE higher) = IMMEDIATE change
    If the change is in the insured's favor, (IE lower) = wait until renewal.... LOL
    Yeah no doubt. People are only quick to do things when it benefits them.
    2016 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    1978 Honda PA50

  19. #19
    Pegassus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    872

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnnw View Post
    I was with Aviva too my first year riding with a drz400

    Different postal codes/ages etc but I was paying about $1250 my first year
    Holy hell and Im here all ****** off because they hiked my rates this year and Im paying $957/year for a 750cc sport-touring bike. And I live in Jane/finch the most expensive insurance zip code in Canada.

  20. #20
    PLau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill/Woodbridge
    Posts
    3,525

    Re: M2 -> M Insurance Decrease?

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Your rates will decrease when blah, blah, blah. They don't drop off a cliff when you pass some imaginary line he insurers paint on the road. Full M, over 25, sign of stability etc. About the only two things that would make a big difference would be a geographic move to safer turf or a sex change to female.

    Lower rates, I've found, are carrots at the end of the stick.
    It's 2018, you just need to identify as X.
    https://mitchellwhale.com/the-x-fact...-hits-ontario/
    Quote Originally Posted by 48Connor View Post
    $1000 a year would be nice! I'll look forward to that. I was paying more during my first year but it dropped a hundred or so after 1 year, but going from my second year of riding into my third the price stayed the same, which was disappointing.
    Here's my track record for age/insurance for liability + fire and theft coverage (lived at 3 different addresses during this time but all in York Region):
    17/18 - CBR125 - $3500 (Didn't ride this year)
    19 - CBR125 - $1900
    20 - CBR125 - $1450 (M license here)
    21 - CBR125 - $1200
    22 - Ninja300 - $1250
    23 - Ninja300 - $1000
    24 - Ninja300 - $850
    25 - Ninja300 - $650
    26 - Ninja300 - $650
    Last edited by PLau; 07-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    2007 Black CBR125 - SOLD!

    Grey Ninja 300 SE Abs -

    Layer up for when you lay'er down.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •