Speeding Ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding Ticket

ken21

Site Supporter
Hey guys, I was issued a speeding ticket last night for 41 over and the ticket includes 4 demerit points. I currently hold a G/M2 class license and I'm being told by others that due to the m2 condition on my license that being found guilty will result in my license being suspended for 30 days due to the ticket being for 4 points. I can't seem to find any information if this holds true with having a full G license and not just having the novice license on its own and the officers never mentioned anything to me about this. Anyone have any insight?

You’re in luck regarding the suspension (but not the ticket, LoL)

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/dealing-particular-situations
[FONT=&quot]Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:
(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence
(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence[/FONT]

Hey guys, I was issued a speeding ticket last night for 41 over and the ticket includes 4 demerit points. I currently hold a G/M2 class license and I'm being told by others that due to the m2 condition on my license that being found guilty will result in my license being suspended for 30 days due to the ticket being for 4 points. I can't seem to find any information if this holds true with having a full G license and not just having the novice license on its own and the officers never mentioned anything to me about this. Anyone have any insight?

Which vehicle were you driving?

You’re in luck regarding the suspension (but not the ticket, LoL)

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/dealing-particular-situations
Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:
(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence
(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence
That's somewhat of a relief

Fight it in court or reduce it to below 30 (or remove it entirely) 4 demerit points is a lot and that is a major speeding ticket, if it can be a reduced sentence below 30 you may get only 2 or 3 points and a fine.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Fight it in court or reduce it to below 30 (or remove it entirely) 4 demerit points is a lot and that is a major speeding ticket, if it can be a reduced sentence below 30 you may get only 2 or 3 points and a fine.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Yeah I plan on it, first time going through the court system so we'll so how it goes.

Yeah I plan on it, first time going through the court system so we'll so how it goes.
Were you going faster than 41 above the limit? Also, is this your first ticket?

Assuming it is, a bit surprised the cop didn't give you a break by indicating a lower speed.

According to him I was 41 over but I won't go into detail. The officers were both extremely polite and we exchanged in some small chat but they returned with all my paperwork and a here's a ticket for 41 over have a goodnight. This is my 2nd ticket I had one from my car for 15 over but that was over 2 years ago maybe 3, can't recall.

If it were me, I'd hire a paralegal service specializing in traffic tickets. It's worth the money in the long run. Think about your insurance rate going up or being dropped altogether.

If it were me, I'd hire a paralegal service specializing in traffic tickets. It's worth the money in the long run. Think about your insurance rate going up or being dropped altogether.
I was thinking of going to early resolution and seeing what they say and from there see if I want to go to trial or should I skip this altogether and pay a decent paralegal service?

Well from an insurance stand point you will now, (if convicted of even 30 over), 2 minor tickets. In order for speeding to reach the threshold of a MAJOR ticket you must be convicted of 49+. That will depending upon your insurer result in a 10 - 30% surcharge.

If you have never been through the court system and are unaware of procedures etc, then it "may" be in your best interest to go with a pro. Just keep in mind a paralegal firm isn't likely to "win" your ticket, they will simply negotiate a lower speed, reduced fine etc.

Just keep in mind once you go to early resolution if no deal is struck, the crown will not be in a mood to offer any form of a deal.

Well from an insurance stand point you will now, (if convicted of even 30 over), 2 minor tickets. In order for speeding to reach the threshold of a MAJOR ticket you must be convicted of 49+. That will depending upon your insurer result in a 10 - 30% surcharge.

If you have never been through the court system and are unaware of procedures etc, then it "may" be in your best interest to go with a pro. Just keep in mind a paralegal firm isn't likely to "win" your ticket, they will simply negotiate a lower speed, reduced fine etc.

Just keep in mind once you go to early resolution if no deal is struck, the crown will not be in a mood to offer any form of a deal.
Yeah then my best option sounds like finding a firm. Digging through the forums it seems like there's a lot of options for whom to go through. Are there any in particular that are well known? It seemed like redline was a good option but I'm not sure if they still exist. As for the insurance increase that's just something I'll have to deal with, which sucks but it is what it is. I'm already getting screwed anyways for being 21 :(.

As mentioned, a paralegal will just fight for a lower fine in the end. With some homework ahead of time, a good attitude (IE, honey instead of vinegar with the early resolution people) you can do the same yourself and save the paralegal fees - a forum like the OHTA (https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com) will teach you all you need to know.

There would have to be some *major* issue with the tickets legitimacy to have it completely tossed out, so in the end, you're going to eat the charge... so your goal at this point is a lower points and a lower fine. The points only matter to keep you out of trouble in the future if you don't keep your record clean in the years ahead, and the dollar value, well, self explanatory.

As mentioned, a paralegal will just fight for a lower fine in the end. With some homework ahead of time, a good attitude (IE, honey instead of vinegar with the early resolution people) you can do the same yourself and save the paralegal fees - a forum like the OHTA (https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com) will teach you all you need to know.

There would have to be some *major* issue with the tickets legitimacy to have it completely tossed out, so in the end, you're going to eat the charge... so your goal at this point is a lower points and a lower fine. The points only matter to keep you out of trouble in the future if you don't keep your record clean in the years ahead, and the dollar value, well, self explanatory.
Thank you, I'll look through that forum when I get a chance. Yeah I'm not expecting it to be tossed out. My primary concern was with the possible license suspension but if that doesn't apply to me that on it's own is a relief. I'm prepared for the insurance increase etc on renewal as that's no ones fault but my own.

I'm prepared for the insurance increase etc on renewal as that's no ones fault but my own.

Well, good to be taking responsibility for ones own actions, but be super careful moving forward. Motorcycle insurance is hard enough to deal with to begin with...and underwriters get cold feet very easily with newer riders...another ticket and you may find yourself stuck in the facility market.

Well, good to be taking responsibility for ones own actions, but be super careful moving forward. Motorcycle insurance is hard enough to deal with to begin with...and underwriters get cold feet very easily with newer riders...another ticket and you may find yourself stuck in the facility market.
Yeah I plan too, I believe my 1st ticket should be off my record soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom