Ride Report - Is it Canada Day yet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report - Is it Canada Day yet?

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Thought it would be a good idea to see how long I could ride for on the hottest day of the year (humidex of 45C). What could possibly go wrong?
The plan was to ride from Mississauga out to Calabogie and then just keep riding until I felt like I should go home. I was only planning on riding on the slab until out of the GTA and then twisty backroads for as long as I could.
Left then house at 6:30am and it was so nice out. Slabbed it along the 401 until Port Hope and then headed north.
Took Flinton Rd and I always seem to see Jeep YJ's on there. From there I skirted across the 506 and down Ardoch Rd. Went up the 509 to S Lavant Rd.
The crossroads:
IMG_0821.jpg

Most of these roads were a little on the bumpy side which was good for me to see how my recently replaced rear shock was doing. What a difference from my old beat up one that had 130,000km and was leaking. It got me thinking about how some of the moto manufacturers are moving their production overseas and so I thought I should make a quick detour to check out the new Polaris plant in for myself.
IMG_0822.jpg

Then I swept my way up the 511 to Calabogie. The 511 is one of my favourite roads to ride. It's like the 507, with way less traffic, much better pavement and faster sweepers. Made it to Calabogie by 11am and I was reminded of what an amazing country we live in.
IMG_0823.jpg

Heading west along the 508 and Centennial Lake Rd (another all time favourite of mine!), I then went north up through Combermere via the 514. This is another spectacular road with awesome pavement and very fast sweepers. This area is also known as the Highlands which is a really great area to ride. There were dense clouds up here and the temperatures were so refreshingly cool. It's a great mixture of low traffic, great pavement with a blend of tighter twisties and fast sweepers. The views are pretty sweet too!
IMG_0826.jpg

From here I headed over to Maynooth for some fuel. They have a great butter tart place here and this time I was surprised to see they are now a samosa factory too. Sweet and Spicy! It was cooking outside by now and I was in no mood for samosas or butter tarts.
IMG_0827.jpg

After heading down Elephant Lake Rd and across to Wilberforce, I remembered a spot to see an old TTC streetcar buried in the bush. It's off a dirt road called Kennaway Rd and the road is awesome and so is the streetcar!
IMG_0835.jpg

Just like in Deal Gap, we have our own Tree of Shoem!
IMG_0830.jpg

Then I decided that because I was so close to Harburn Road #19, I should go ride it, because it's another one of my favourite roads, especially when looped together with Haliburton Lake Road. Lot's of Harburn Road is pretty beat up from the winter with potholes and broken pavement. It's still a great ride though. I continued west along the 118 and then up the #35 past Dorset and had grand plans of riding the 518. By now it was around 4pm. Some quick math told me that I would make it home by around 8-9pm. I was starting to feel a little dehydrated even though I was drinking a lot of fluid and had 2 bottles of Gatorade in my Hydration knapsack.

Rather than take an unnecessary risk, I decided to head straight for Southwood Rd 13! Heading southbound on this road is awesome. It was in really good shape with pretty much no sand. If they could ever fix the potholes and frost heaves, this road would be heaven. Nothing like a 'Very Rough Crossing' to perk me up!
IMG_0840.jpg

At the bottom end of Southwood Rd - not sure what the deal is with the fence in the background here.
IMG_0841.jpg

Don't try this at home.https://goo.gl/maps/g8G16VguKex
This is roughly the route I ended up doing. All in all it was about 1100km in 13hours - more than the Google Maps route will show. If I didn't get lost looking for a sweet dirt road that links Harburn Rd with Kennisis Lake Rd, I could have probably made it up to the 518, but all things considered, it's been a long time since I did a ride with this many backroads in one day.
It also feels like the first time I've done a long ride by myself. For the last few years it's always been in groups or at least one other. It was refreshing to go as fast as I wanted, for as long as I wanted. Didn't stop to have lunch, just had a few snacks at gas stops and rode all day without any breaks. The bike still rides like a champ at 140,000km. Stopped by my buddy Keith's grave on the way home to give thanks for all those safe miles traveled.

Last edited:
Nice. I had thoughts of doing an eastern Ontario ride this weekend, too, but this was too hot for me. Maybe next weekend.

If I do it, the bike will be in the van between here and a yet-to-be-determined jumping-off point.

Nice. Haven't yet done calabogie. I should give it a go.

Also realized I never take any pictures. I should also do that

That looks like an awesome route. Ashamed to say I've never ventured the backroads east of Maynooth, will have to correct that soon.

Nice. I didn't get out either. I slept in and then trimmed the hedges with my new trimmer before taking a dip in the pool followed by a family watching of the Incredibles II.

I was up that way last week. Really nice roads.

Shane have you ever been on Arcol Rd just NE of Ompah? I was looking at google maps following your route and found this road (off Canonto Rd). It seems to wind for miles heading vaguely north past a bunch of lakes. My guess is it’s a cottage track but I don’t know. It looks interesting though.

Edit. On google maps you really have to zoom in because it looks as the the road ends near hungry lake but it continues as a smaller road. It eventually ends up as Barry Lake trail just south of Calabogie at Barrett Chute.

Last edited:
Brian: If I was going to stay overnight in that area, the one place I have stayed at which I personally like very much is in Wilberforce at the bottom of Elephant Lake Rd.
http://www.riverbankrvandcottages.com/

I've been up there a few times and used it as a launching pad for riding the area. A liquor store, gas and a few good restaurants for breakfast and dinner there.

JC: I've never been on Arcol Rd. I'm on PR4's, but if I had some different tires on, I would be more inclined to go a little farther offroad.

Redger: there's a route I also posted in the sticky of the roads I had been on east of Maynooth. There's really a lot to choose from up there. I also would want to spend more time checking out the hidden gems in that area. Several years ago I was in Barry's Bay and running late, so I just hit "Go Home" on my GPS and it took me down an awesome road, one that I would have never found on my own.

The whole Calabogie area in my opinion is the best region to ride in. Much less traffic, no police presence that I ever see, excellent scenery and overall very good roads. It's just so damn far for us.

"The whole Calabogie area in my opinion is the best region to ride in. Much less traffic, no police presence that I ever see, excellent scenery and overall very good roads"

that is a pretty good time you made for over 1000kms. Guess I am spending to much time on breakfast and lunch. Love to do a Ottawa rip this year for sure. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Nice ride. I was up there a couple weeks ago on 118 but it was quite cool and cloudy. Very hot again today. I'm headed up toward Tobermory to take a tour of the coast. Slightly cooler along the lake. I love riding solo. I just take my time and meander down old country roads.

Also love the Calabogie area. However, do not overlook the backroads just below HWY 7 especially around Westport. All these roads are great especially prior to the summer vacation starts.

Last edited:
Don't try this at home.https://goo.gl/maps/g8G16VguKex
This is roughly the route I ended up doing. All in all it was about 1100km in 13hours - more than the Google Maps route will show. If I didn't get lost looking for a sweet dirt road that links Harburn Rd with Kennisis Lake Rd, I could have probably made it up to the 518, but all things considered, it's been a long time since I did a ride with this many backroads in one day.
It also feels like the first time I've done a long ride by myself. For the last few years it's always been in groups or at least one other. It was refreshing to go as fast as I wanted, for as long as I wanted. Didn't stop to have lunch, just had a few snacks at gas stops and rode all day without any breaks. The bike still rides like a champ at 140,000km. Stopped by my buddy Keith's grave on the way home to give thanks for all those safe miles traveled.

Thank You for sharing this. Great post.

Can't wait to get out that way (Calabogie/Frontenac) later this summer for some motocamping. Looks like a great ride Shane, let's get together for a Northern rip soon.

Can't wait to get out that way (Calabogie/Frontenac) later this summer for some motocamping. Looks like a great ride Shane, let's get together for a Northern rip soon.
Wow - that's a helluva ride in these temps. Based on the distance, time, and stops for 10 pictures speed must have been liberally used to provided adequate air cooling ;)

What gear did you war for this ride?

Wow - that's a helluva ride in these temps. Based on the distance, time, and stops for 10 pictures speed must have been liberally used to provided adequate air cooling ;)

What gear did you war for this ride?

I wore my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar suit, with my Daytona Evo Sports boots and Dainese Carbon D1 gauntlet gloves and Shoei RF1100 helmet.
I was keeping a lively pace and keep the breaks to a minimum. I think I took maybe 3 or 4 ten minute breaks.
I also try to plan my routes so that I don't go through too many small towns while hitting the roads I want to.

Would really like to do the Frontenac trip again and even camp at the same place. Maybe Labour Day weekend or around there once it has cooled down a bit.

Found a video that has Arcol road on it. Unfortunately they don’t show which one it is among the several Trails/roads they ride on in this video but I don’t think it’s the rock/gravel one as that’s a rail trail I think. So it may not be too bad. This video is of a bunch of bikes, some of them are wee stroms https://youtu.be/Vyz6CLc8PN0

Edit. Part of the road is a crown road.. $12.50 for a day pass...$48 seasonal.

Found a video that has Arcol road on it. Unfortunately they don’t show which one it is among the several Trails/roads they ride on in this video but I don’t think it’s the rock/gravel one as that’s a rail trail I think. So it may not be too bad. This video is of a bunch of bikes, some of them are wee stroms https://youtu.be/Vyz6CLc8PN0

Edit. Part of the road is a crown road.. $12.50 for a day pass...$48 seasonal.

The very end of that video looks like the south end of Arcol road, the early part looks like K&P trail which is largely railway bed, Arcol Road is logging and hydro line access roads, hydro and logging roads follow the terrain, railways cut straight through it.

Back
Top Bottom