Ouch | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ouch

MacDoc

Site Supporter
van_gasclimate1_jennifergauthier.jpg

That's a damper on roaming on my overly thirsty bike....

Not sure where we are in Ontario ...that's a BC price..

US looks attractive.

LeastExpensive_6-25-18-1024x444.png

1 Gal Us = 3.78 ltr ...that's $6.05 Cdn for a US Gallon...at the BC price.
versus
$3.46 Cdn at the US price.

Last edited:
van_gasclimate1_jennifergauthier.jpg

That's a damper on roaming on my overly thirsty bike....

Not sure where we are in Ontario ...that's a BC price..

US looks attractive.

LeastExpensive_6-25-18-1024x444.png

1 Gal Us = 3.78 ltr ...that's $6.05 Cdn for a US Gallon...at the BC price.
versus
$3.46 Cdn at the US price.

the oil industry is punishing BC for not rolling out the red carpet and letting them bulldoze a pipeline to the west coast.

I believe the trudeau government announced they are going to build, own, and "rent out" the new proposed pipeline - simply to allow the pipeline to be built without the oil industry spending a penny or going through those pesky environmental assessments. Taxpayers will pick up the bill and then the government will sell it to the oil indusry at 25 cents on the dollar..... ty for your campaign donation.

No, it's just the oil industry jacking the price on a long weekend and a holiday as they always do so they can rake in a few more $B off of us...

No, it's just the oil industry jacking the price on a long weekend and a holiday as they always do so they can rake in a few more $B off of us...

Ford plans on having a little chat with them about that one

Say what you want about the unorthadox/crazy leaders..they usually keep their word (trump with the muslim ban/tarrifs/trade wars etc etc)

Say what you want about the unorthadox/crazy leaders..they usually keep their word (trump with the muslim ban/tarrifs/trade wars etc etc)

Here's a question, how is he going to drop the fuel price? Mandate the fuel companies to drop their price, or drop the tax on fuel? It's easy to say that he's going to do XYZ, putting it into practice is a different story.

There's also the matter that 10c a litre, while sounding good as a platform to his voters, amounts to almost zero functional difference in your pocket.

Here's a question, how is he going to drop the fuel price? Mandate the fuel companies to drop their price, or drop the tax on fuel? It's easy to say that he's going to do XYZ, putting it into practice is a different story.

There's also the matter that 10c a litre, while sounding good as a platform to his voters, amounts to almost zero functional difference in your pocket.
Canadian Oil companies operate like a cartel, the gov't doesn't interfere with their shenanigans... but they could. The competition bureau and Combines laws both prevent collusion and price fixing in all industries. Historically the feds did not react to cartel pricing as they were part of the cartel (Petrocan), they have never changed that policy.

In Ontario we pay the retailer about 20% more than New Yorkers do for gasoline - it's quite outrageous however there is little political incentive to question why Canadian retailers can justify such a massive premium.

Right now New Yorkers are paying $2.99/gal, after conversion to CAD and Liters AND accounting for the differences in taxes between the two gov'ts, is $1.12/l CAD.

It's also worth keeping in mind that oil companies are one of the most powerful lobbying groups out there, so it's not exactly easy to break up the party

The price of gas used to be a pretty hot topic with me until i retired.Not so much anymore.Filled the truck every 8 or 9 days when i worked,now it sits for double that easily.And my new streetbike gets 90 mpg.A tank goes a long way now.

The first time I ever got smacked with an ouch was a $45 fill up of the ST1100 in Australia when costs went to $1.75 oer litre. ( bloody beast held 28 litres ! ).

Thinking, is that $45 really worth just having a casual day cruising rural paved roads for fun and photographs?

Even now - the CBF1000 costs a chunk of change $25 to get 300 km. If I could find a farkled for touring CB500x I might consider downsizing as many report very high MPG. 60-70 mpg

70 lb lighter than my current ride, smaller tank but will go farther.
Honda UK lists 83 mpg but that's the larger Imperial gallon...still pretty spectacular.

Got to think about that for next year.

Real life test

10. Honda CB500X
Honda's CB500X is powered by a 471cc parallel-twin and it's an economical little engine. We'll ignore Honda's quoted fuel consumption figures for this bike and instead go straight to the consumption figures it gave us when we tested it earlier this year. It returned 70.4mpg when being flogged and gave an even more frugal figure of 83.65mpg when being used with a little more sympathy. It's got a 17.5 litre tank and although that's unremarkable in this company, still means the CB500X can still return over 320 miles from one fill-up.
https://www.visordown.com/features/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-longest-range-bikes

Damn 500+ km on a fill up.

Last edited:
Taxes are something in the area of $0.35-$0.40 per litre of the cost of gas in Ontario right now, so don't place the blame solely on the oil companies. Ford is being either hypocritical claiming that he's gonna beat the oil companies into submission to lower their prices when the taxes the province he now runs is solely responsible for about 1/3 of the cost of every L sold here right now. Or he's just dumb and doesn't realize that fact yet.

Take the current level of taxation off our gas and suddenly we are much closer to the USA prices.

I'm not being an apologist for the oil companies, just stating facts.

Taxes are something in the area of $0.35-$0.40 per litre of the cost of gas in Ontario right now, so don't place the blame solely on the oil companies. Ford is being either hypocritical claiming that he's gonna beat the oil companies into submission to lower their prices when the taxes the province he now runs is solely responsible for about 1/3 of the cost of every L sold here right now. Or he's just dumb and doesn't realize that fact yet.

Take the current level of taxation off our gas and suddenly we are much closer to the USA prices.

I thought the plan was to cut the taxes, but not let the gas stations skim some of the difference, unlike what happened in the insurance reduction.

there's a reason smaller bikes and cars have been so popular in the rest of the world, just not North America and its not parking issues. When your wages just cover the cost of groceries and a grass hut, gas is a luxury.

We aren't there yet, but a grass hut will be a ***** to heat in the winter months.

Taxes in Ontario are $0.38 @ $1.00/l, and 0.43/l @ $1.40/l. Taxes in NY, which is about the most expensive in the nation are $0.25/l (CAD).

Today, July 2, the average retail price for gas (all in CAD) in Toronto is 0.88/l plus 0.42 tax, in Buffalo 0.79/l +0.243 tax. That represents a 12% retailer premium for Ontario residents. That is a hughe premium on a commodity item -- hard to explain why Oil companies are allowed to gouge that out of us.

there's a reason smaller bikes and cars have been so popular in the rest of the world, just not North America and its not parking issues. When your wages just cover the cost of groceries and a grass hut, gas is a luxury.

We aren't there yet, but a grass hut will be a ***** to heat in the winter months.

need to fully develop the oil sands
that'll take care of the need for winter heat
we'll be growing citrus in S. Ontario
Florida will be under water

I thought the plan was to cut the taxes, but not let the gas stations skim some of the difference, unlike what happened in the insurance reduction.

He had a ton of (not really planned and uncosted) "plans" as a candidate that may not exactly mesh with reality now that it's time to enact them.

The province's coffers can't stand to lose the gas tax revenue at this point unless we are going to continue to just dig out debt hole deeper and deeper.

Back
Top Bottom