Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

Yeah, big difference between weaving from lane to lane between other cars at significantly higher than legal speeds, vs. slowly moseying up to a red light between stopped cars.

Yeah, big difference between weaving from lane to lane between other cars at significantly higher than legal speeds, vs. slowly moseying up to a red light between stopped cars.

Since i already do this it would be nice to be legal.

be nice to have it legal in all of Canada. In one area here, bikes are legal to filter to front of line. When using BC Ferries bikes load first, unload first. Filter past long line of cars to the front.
No one tries to kill you or yell at you. It is expected and legal so no one cares.

on the hwy if it turns into a parking lot, bikes always filter but most times it is shoulder riding. Again no one cares. As someone once said, If it is hot out and you are wearing half a cow, i am filtering.
One year i ending up filtering (shoulder ride) behind a patched Hells Angels bike. Figured no one would give him a hard time.

my point in all this is that if it is legal and expected, i do not think it will cause many issues.

if there is a god this will happen. i can image being on highway 400 on the long weekend just zipping along between cars.
maybe doug ford are buddies with the city councillors....maybe...just maybe

That reply right there shows why this proposal will go no where. This rider is already misconstruing a "POSSIBLE" pilot project on 2 streets in Toronto, with ripping up the 400. The HTA does indeed, (if an officer wish to use it), make lane filtering and splitting illegal. two vehicles can NOT share the same lane, (which a bike is doing as it passes between the cars). So I suspect the MTO will be on the phone to the city staff advising you can't override the HTA.

This would not be the first time a municipal government tried to do so. A couple of years ago before legislation was changed Wasaga Beach, (as well as 2 others), passed a bylaw allowing ATV's to be ridden in town. The following day they got a nice call from the MTO advising the bylaw was in violation of the HTA and it was repealed during a "special" council session
T

Leave it to RTI to come up with a piss-poor video to demonstrate filtering, with no actual filtering.

I'm all for filtering and good for RTI for helping this situation.
'But that's as good as they could do?

Leave it to RTI to come up with a piss-poor video to demonstrate filtering, with no actual filtering.

I'm all for filtering and good for RTI for helping this situation.
'But that's as good as they could do?

Do people even read on this forum??? Jesus.
The post by RTI clearly states what the video was made to do (to demonstrate motorcycle size and mitigation of traffic in general, NOT specifically lane filtering) AND the video was apparently instrument in actually getting to where they are now in terms of

1) increase in motorcycle parking spots / reinforcement of ticketing cars in these spots

2) allowing motorcycles to use more reserved lanes

And yes, hopefully
3) slow filtering at lights on certain streets as a pilot project.

People just love complaining about **** they didn’t even read properly. Put some effort into something once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Filtering forward at an intersection to assume a better position at the light :lol: if I pulled up next to cars at intersections in or between their lane to get a drop on a green light, what percentage of those cars are going to make it a race ?:I 15 maybe 20% ?

Lane splitting:
Have you drove a large vehicle through L.A. lately? -> can be a challenge to change lanes without smoking somebody! Bikes blow by you with zero warning, those riders aren't filtering :/ You're trying to not exceed the trailer speed limit too outrageously and bikes are doing 30k faster then the fastest cars, everybody is tailgating, you need to somehow merge over 2 lanes within the next mile, start your signal, still doing in excess of the posted speed limit for trailers, 4 more bikes blow by you one at a time on the white line in disregard of your signal to change lanes. <- That right there is the Other view of lane splitting.

I didn't even bother reading this.

Lane filtering will never be legal because city council doesn't have authority to change legislation in the HTA. The most would be allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes, but even that I doubt they will really look into.

Forget lane splitting, it wont happen here.

Couldn't agree more . They won't let us use HOV and you think they will allow lane splitting .

The only time I would lane split is at a red light . Even then maybe with the quality of drivers in Toronto .

Couldn't agree more . They won't let us use HOV and you think they will allow lane splitting .

The only time I would lane split is at a red light . Even then maybe with the quality of drivers in Toronto .

I’ve actually been seeing motorcycles being allowed in this lanes more than before. One example, Allen road south of Finch ave. Recently changed the sign to allow motorcycles.

Filtering forward at an intersection to assume a better position at the light :lol: if I pulled up next to cars at intersections in or between their lane to get a drop on a green light, what percentage of those cars are going to make it a race ?:I 15 maybe 20% ?

Lane splitting:
Have you drove a large vehicle through L.A. lately? -> can be a challenge to change lanes without smoking somebody! Bikes blow by you with zero warning, those riders aren't filtering :/ You're trying to not exceed the trailer speed limit too outrageously and bikes are doing 30k faster then the fastest cars, everybody is tailgating, you need to somehow merge over 2 lanes within the next mile, start your signal, still doing in excess of the posted speed limit for trailers, 4 more bikes blow by you one at a time on the white line in disregard of your signal to change lanes. <- That right there is the Other view of lane splitting.
I see something wrong with this quote (besides grammar)? What is a large speed restricted vehicle with a trailer doing 55 in the left lane of a freeway? Does he think his signal generates him the right-of-way for a lane change?

Perhaps it's a real opinion, not one take seriously. I negotiated central Los Angeles for more than a decade, the traffic moves about the same as the 400 series highways in busy hours. There is some lane splitting, but not a whole lot more than I see here. Filtering through stopped or near stopped traffic is common on freeways, car drivers don't get frustrated, mostly they wish they could sneak through too.

I see something wrong with this quote (besides grammar)? What is a large speed restricted vehicle with a trailer doing 55 in the left lane of a freeway?

For example, to take an upcoming left exit. For another example, in the case of a motorway splitting (such as the QEW/403 split in Burlington or the 410 south split to 403 or 401 in Mississauga), having to take the left branch. For another example, if the right lane ends up ahead.

Is called a failure to communicate, that's when you say something and get a reply to something completely different :D

For example, to take an upcoming left exit. For another example, in the case of a motorway splitting (such as the QEW/403 split in Burlington or the 410 south split to 403 or 401 in Mississauga), having to take the left branch. For another example, if the right lane ends up ahead.
OK, however there's none of that thru central Los Angeles, all clover -- cars enter and exit on the right.

It could happen a lot more through Toronto, not because of left on/off but because of changes between Express and Collectors. That said, I don't recall LA being any worse for splitting than Toronto -- both have their share of good and hooligan riders -- they are everywhere.

Do people even read on this forum??? Jesus.
The post by RTI clearly states what the video was made to do (to demonstrate motorcycle size and mitigation of traffic in general, NOT specifically lane filtering) AND the video was apparently instrument in actually getting to where they are now in terms of

1) increase in motorcycle parking spots / reinforcement of ticketing cars in these spots

2) allowing motorcycles to use more reserved lanes

And yes, hopefully
3) slow filtering at lights on certain streets as a pilot project.

People just love complaining about **** they didn’t even read properly. Put some effort into something once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I responded to the original first post on the tread. Entitled Land filtering might become legal.
And then this video was offered.

"Last night, a motion for comprehensive motorcycle policy changes was adopted by Toronto City Council… and it was drafted by RTI!"

http://ridertraining.ca/advocatingformotorcyclists/

It's about time. Would work wonders on several Toronto streets. Lane splitting is also sorely needed for the 400 series highways in Toronto where rear-enders are numerous. It should be like Los Angeles where you can split lanes where traffic is slow. They generally do it between the passing lane and the centre lane.

The amount of "stoopid" in this thread is a good reminder of why we can't have nice things...

"But, but, but.... HTA says no! They can't do that! HTA! HTA!!!!"

For christ's sake... do you think anyone would have thought 5 years ago that pot would be legal in Canada? And do you think it was the federal govt that came up with that idea on their own? HA! It was pressure and advocacy from the municipal and provincial levels that got the ball rolling on that.

It's pretty obvious (to anyone with half a clue) that RTI is calling on the health department to get involved for this very reason. If the city can make a convincing argument that filtering enhances rider safety, there's no reason whatsoever for the MTO to get involved. And there would certainly be more than enough reason for the city to DIRECT Toronto Police to allow the action in the proposed pilot zone (kind of like they already direct Toronto police on TONNES of other enforcement issues). The fact that there's no explicit reference to filtering or splitting in the "HTA! HTA!!" already means that any charges that are levied in relation to the action are necessarily DISCRETIONARY on the part of the officer.

And as for the clowns confusing a video of traffic timing for a video of lane filtering... LOL

Last edited:
Ontario is such a nanny state. Gotta have a stop sign where a yield sign would do, Can't have a glass of wine in a park, stupid last calls, no happy hours, can't stand outside a bar and have a drink outside the fence, Step off your driveway with a beer, ETC. Ive been to places where all these are allowed. Then I come home and it drives me nuts. Lane filtering here will never happen IMHO.

Section 172
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,
ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).
Did you think you were going to be able to exceed the "lawful rate of speed" while filtering?

So it's all a great idea.... and i love it and can't wait to do it..but anybody thought about rider training for this?

Although riders are a lot more aware of distance... its pretty easy to hit a cars mirror. Especially if filtering at very low speed... should there be some kind of review of rider skills to "allow" it?

So it's all a great idea.... and i love it and can't wait to do it..but anybody thought about rider training for this?

Although riders are a lot more aware of distance... its pretty easy to hit a cars mirror. Especially if filtering at very low speed... should there be some kind of review of rider skills to "allow" it?

As with anything else involving riding in traffic... you take your own risks. If you misjudge the space and end up gouging a door or knocking a mirror off, well... just like any other fender bender... it's your problem.

RTI actually sums up the need for education and awareness between drivers and riders in the statement on their website:

"– If pursued, we will work with the city on an advanced signage/messaging campaign along the proposed corridors to alert drivers of the upcoming change. Ideally, this messaging campaign will have a 6-8 month lead in time prior to the launch of the pilot

– RTI will not support the initiative unless an active messaging campaign is deployed well in advance, additionally, we will work with media partners to get the message out to riders about the right & wrong way to perform the activity if and when the pilot is approved"

At the end of the day, no amount of education, training or resources on proper filtering tactics will fix bad judgement, ego, or just plain stupidity in either camp. The good thing is, if/when collisions occur, the research suggests that the risk of serious injury or death is significantly reduced (in slow speed filtering... not ridiculous high speed lane splitting).

Back
Top Bottom