Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

I didn't even bother reading this.

Lane filtering will never be legal because city council doesn't have authority to change legislation in the HTA

Glad I’m not the only one who understands this.

Agreed, makes me happy I used them for my M1 and M2 exits

Same here. I think some of us do the lane filtering all the time, including me.. but it's nice know if it's legal. Some time I wish there is some extra space infront of the intersection for bike like the on in Thailand

They could put green plate motorcycle trails on the green belts (one way each direction) that would remove a Ton of traffic.
:lmao: maybe I'll do that after I become king of Canada

:cool: I never tried that.
Sure hope nobody opens their driver side door :|

come down to Toronto and ride along the Danforth during the day when the parking lane is not a driving lane. Ample room for bikes.. actually enought room for a car is some places.. I know.. as I've driven it a few times with my skillz :)

When its backed up in the left lane, the right lane is still pretty wide, even with the parked cars

2018-06-29_16-01-34.jpg

I like Kingston road better, Bayview, Broadview, Rosedale Valley Road, couple of laps around Queens Park is fun, Pottery Road, Queens Quay and Old Kingston Road are all good rides ... I think that's about it.

I'm retired I don't have to go anywhere in particular and it don't matter how long it takes ;) I can go sit in Timmy's and eat donuts till the traffic clears.

I didn't even bother reading this.

Lane filtering will never be legal because city council doesn't have authority to change legislation in the HTA. The most would be allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes, but even that I doubt they will really look into.

Forget lane splitting, it wont happen here.
The HTA does not explicitly allow or prohibit filtering AND it explicitly allows municipal bylaws where no HTA rules exist. See HTA Part XII.

Passing a law ids easy. Try educating drivers. Good luck.
Agreed. I'm too old to be a martyr for filtering, one idiot driver squeezing me into a collision could end my days on 2 wheels.

tend to agree with this
a municipal bylaw cannot contradict HTA

I asked about this and this is what they said.

3329dc6b6951456231800886cfd329dd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The HTA does not explicitly allow or prohibit filtering AND it explicitly allows municipal bylaws where no HTA rules exist. See HTA Part XII.

Section 172
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,
ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

Section 172
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,
ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

that sounds more like lane splitting, not filtering. you're going very slow when you're filtering, which is supposed to only happen when traffic is stopped at a red light.

Last edited:
http://bfy.tw/IqMl

it's the same thing.

in the context of what RTI is looking for, no its not.

[FONT=&quot]"...would allow motorcycles to filter between stopped vehicles, up to the stop line at controlled intersections where a stop signal is active, and only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb or pedestrian walkway, with implications for minimizing the risk of rear or front end collisions, and the overall flow of traffic."[/FONT]

in the context of what RTI is looking for, no its not.

[FONT=&quot]"...would allow motorcycles to filter between stopped vehicles, up to the stop line at controlled intersections where a stop signal is active, and only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb or pedestrian walkway, with implications for minimizing the risk of rear or front end collisions, and the overall flow of traffic."[/FONT]

color and colour

in reality, this won't happen

For those saying that this won't work in Toronto because of our drivers... Well, everywhere else has bad drivers too. Toronto has far from the worst drivers in North America, forget about the rest of the world (I'm looking at you, Colombia).

Riders have been filtering to the front of traffic lights in Toronto for a long time, I see no reason why we can't take the logical leap and make it legal.

if there is a god this will happen. i can image being on highway 400 on the long weekend just zipping along between cars.
maybe doug ford are buddies with the city councillors....maybe...just maybe

color and colour

in reality, this won't happen

doesnt take away the fact that what the HTA says you can't do (aka passing MOVING vehicles erratically in between lanes at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed), has nothing to do with the type of filtering that RTI is trying to push (passing cars in stopped red light traffic at low speed).

if that still sounds like the same thing to you well i can't help that.

Back
Top Bottom