Lane filtering might become legal.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

Yay RTI :cheers:

... but I didn't see any filtering with cars happening in that video, just bikes riding next to bikes and beating cars at everything. :confused:

[FONT=&quot]– The conditions we are proposing involve filtering only up to an active stop light, only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb, and with other vehicles at or near a standstill[/FONT]

Approved.

"only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb" <- is that a fancy way of saying you can't pass on the right hand side where there is a curb?

In the video, it seems to me some of those motorcycles were passing other motorcycles adjacent to the curb.
(scratch that, I watched it again, these are all very well organized motorcycle riders)

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? This is a dream come true!! Won't believe it until I see it. All it wil take to get this rescinded will be for a dumb supersport hooligan to filter at 90 km/h and crashes between cars... sigh.

"only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb" <- is that a fancy way of saying you can't pass on the right hand side where there is a curb?.....

Can do it now in the space beside parked cars...when there's enough room.

"only along lane boundaries that are not adjacent to any curb" <- is that a fancy way of saying you can't pass on the right hand side where there is a curb?

In the video, it seems to me some of those motorcycles were passing other motorcycles adjacent to the curb.
(scratch that, I watched it again, these are all very well organized motorcycle riders)

Exactly that. You have to pass on the inside lane.

Not sure I understand, I think I need a video of that one.

He's saying you can pass on the left of parked cars, inside of 'right' lane. Similar to what filtering in a live lane would be.

:cool: I never tried that.
Sure hope nobody opens their driver side door :|

:cool: I never tried that.
Sure hope nobody opens their driver side door :|

That's the risk for sure, i do it all the time and am just extra vigilant.

There's some back and forth about it being legal to be there in the first place, but different topic.

Never thought I'd see the day... It's a pilot project proposed for Richmond and Adelaide but wow, a step in the right direction

I didn't even bother reading this.

Lane filtering will never be legal because city council doesn't have authority to change legislation in the HTA. The most would be allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes, but even that I doubt they will really look into.

Forget lane splitting, it wont happen here.

Lane filtering will never be legal because city council doesn't have authority to change legislation in the HTA. The most would be allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes, but even that I doubt they will really look into.

Filtering bro

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow, my Councilor Gary Crawford, the same Councilor who just got a 40 kph police revenue zone approved along Kingston Rd between Victoria Park and Birchmount, seconded this.

But don't get your hopes up too much yet. This is just a motion from a couple councilors to get City Bureaucrats to study these ideas. Motions 1 and 2 are minor expansions of things we already have, so hopefully will be supported by staff. I think item 3 will be much more difficult. A pilot program to allow filtering on 2 city streets may not comply with the Provincial HTA. I'm not sure if it is even possible to get special Provincial dispensation to allow this pilot program, but having grown cynical over the years, I expect staff will simply say that its not permitted under the HTA, and not push further.

tend to agree with this
a municipal bylaw cannot contradict HTA

But in a lot of cases, in the city of toronto, they are allowed in HOV lanes.

Back
Top Bottom