Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

Fortunately, the push is to make filtering legal, but nbody is trying to make it manditory. Why be against this? Procede with the caution you do with everything you do on two wheels. You can filter when you feel its a safe place to do so, and not filter when you feel safer at the back of the pack.

Because my motorcycle insurance rates are directly proportionate to the rate of motorcycle accidents and our collective insurance rates are going to see a huge increase in car door dents and paint jobs. The cars in these altercations will never be found at fault, it will be 'the motorcycle sideswiped the car' and the drivers will become accustomed to motorcycles not requiring as much space on the road as trucks and cars.

To the other posts;
No, they very clearly said stopped, and that is why I quoted it. Nothing to do with not supporting or any other such nonsense, I simply see this as something that is not being proposed in a practical manor. They either implement all 3 forms of motorcycles not needing to observe the lane markings, or they leave us the entitlement and obligation to the same space as a small car.

lane-splitting-animated-3.gif

... when was the last time you were in a traffic jam of nicely arranged and spaced cars all in a staggered stationary formation like that?
The moment the cars start moving :/ now you are lane splitting and in the proposal this will be considered dangerous and illegal.

Guidelines where this has been implemented suggest 2 feet of clearance on each side of your motorcycle, so we are looking for about a 6 foot wide space between cars and trucks to make use of this maneuver.

lane-splitting.JPG

Caption on this photo reads: "A motorcyclist drives between two cars at a stoplight in downtown Toronto. (Greg Ross/CBC)"
What it should read is: 'WTF are you going dude and if you scratch it you pay for it.'

They were stressing out over this on AM640 yesterday. Talk show hosts were having a hard time wrapping their heads around it. The whole show was devoid of any science and the call-ins were almost as stupid despite some of them claiming to be 30-year motorcyclists. Nothing about the USC/CHP study on lane splitting. No stats on the European experience. Just a lot of hysterical stupidity. Typical Canadian reaction to anything that involves risk.

Just make it legal and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, outlaw it again.

It is 140KM+ distance. ;)

There seems to be some confusion so here is further clarification for everybody not knowing the difference between filtering and splitting.

Filtering is anything less then 30KMPH.

Splitting is anything above 30KMPH.

That being said, you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk and you are entitled (on a motorcycle) to pass on a paved shoulder if the vehicle in-front of you is turning or proceeding to turn.

Within regards to drivers getting used to motorcycles, it isn't that big of a problem as many would seem to think because if you look at what has been happening with Cyclists, you'll understand that they filter a lot, including running red lights and cutting off vehicles and this is just a common occurrence in downtown as its been happening for years and only gets worse with each passing year, especially with more cyclists now being out and about due to more encouragement and additional bicycle lanes.

So in some sense, many drivers are used to being passed by a cyclist and having a motorcycle in the mix shouldn't create a problem unless we'd be talking about cyclists vs motorcycle riders in which case, the one with the M drivers license will always give way and pass when safe while the cyclist that probably doesn't even have a drivers license will continue riding their bicycle without any care for the motorists around them.

As far as actual Splitting goes, as I've stated before in the thread, if its illegal, please give specifics other then just stating that its illegal because otherwise, its a gray area regardless if you agree or disagree on how safe it is or if other drivers are ready for such maneuvers to be executed on the road.

I'll reference the charges under the HTA that an officer could possibly decide to charge you with however that doesn't mean it will stick in court if there isn't enough evidence to support such charges and/or if you have good representation to dismiss the case against you altogether.

Failure to maintain lane.
Improper signaling.
Stunt Driving.
Careless Driving.
Reckless Driving.
Racing.
Speeding.

:)

I do believe those definitions are not correct. One deals with moving traffic and the other with stationary, the only thing to do with speed is that stopped traffic moves at 0 kmh.

"Lane filtering, not to be confused with lane splitting, allows motorcycles to move between stopped vehicles at an intersection.
The idea is that riders can make their way up to the front of the line and take off before cars do"

Ok I get it now, is a movement to legalize intersection drag racing :rolleyes: I'm totally down for this,
but if I'm second in the motorcycle line and you are infront of me, you better drop the hammer hard because I want somewhere to go when the cars start moving!

Probably one of the more insightful posts in the thread. HTA 172 includes out-accelerating as a legit charge.

The number of people posting here without understanding the difference between splitting and filtering says it all. If the people that benefit the most, motorcyclists, don't understand the difference and the consequences what hope is there for cagers to understand?

A change in laws. I've been driving cars, trucks and bike longer than most forum members have been alive and I have never been retested or forced to read a traffic law update. I try to listen to the news but a minor change in a local law will not get the coverage of the Thai cave rescue. Most cagers are in a similar situation with being diligent regarding changes to laws. Don't expect them to understand. You can explain it to them as you exchange insurance info.

The law cannot force you to do something that endangers your life. That's in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. If anyone can prove in a provincial court that filtering or splitting is safer than being caught between two bumpers in traffic that HTA section will be declared null and void. Problem is, nobody has the deep pockets to fight such a case, even though there are studies proving it is safer.

IIRC one of our legal eagles posted in another thread that running a red was an absolute charge. No excuses. If an out of control semi on a steep hill is bearing down on you blowing it's air horn and you enter an empty intersection on a red you are guilty and get the charge on your record.

It would require an A-H cop but if he writes the ticket it nails you.

Correct me if I misunderstood the other thread.

Probably one of the more insightful posts in the thread. HTA 172 includes out-accelerating as a legit charge.

The number of people posting here without understanding the difference between splitting and filtering says it all. If the people that benefit the most, motorcyclists, don't understand the difference and the consequences what hope is there for cagers to understand?

A change in laws. I've been driving cars, trucks and bike longer than most forum members have been alive and I have never been retested or forced to read a traffic law update. I try to listen to the news but a minor change in a local law will not get the coverage of the Thai cave rescue. Most cagers are in a similar situation with being diligent regarding changes to laws. Don't expect them to understand. You can explain it to them as you exchange insurance info.

I'm pretty sure most cagers aren't told explicitly that filtering/splitting is illegal; they're just uncomfortable with people close to their cars and get angry when someone goes in front of them.
Hell, some cars (going straight) make room for other cars behind them to squeeze to the right to make a right turn on red at intersections, but if a motorcycle does it (with sufficient space), some people get mad.

I'd probably say 50% of people (non-riders) I've spoken to that found out I rode a motorcycle downtown to work assume I get there faster because I could go between cars. The other half think it's suicide.

IIRC one of our legal eagles posted in another thread that running a red was an absolute charge. No excuses. If an out of control semi on a steep hill is bearing down on you blowing it's air horn and you enter an empty intersection on a red you are guilty and get the charge on your record.

It would require an A-H cop but if he writes the ticket it nails you.

Correct me if I misunderstood the other thread.
Nope. It can be overturned. I was one footage away from having mine thrown out, as it was safer for me to go through than to abruptly stop. I had all the necessary aspects of the defense except i didn't have the timing/position of my bike relative to the light at the moment the red light changed which was impossible to have unless i had an action cam. Anyhow both the judge and the cop told me I had a really good defense after it was all done, and the cop even shook my hand.

The comments though

Lol..OK, for realz…..wholesale change to driver licensing....bring in graduated motorcycle licensing.....make sure there's a widespread driver education project on this TV, magazines, newspapers.....ensure all road markings are in place after a gruelling winter with grit on the roads....and all will be well. Otherwise...prepare for an increase in accidents.

Oh, one last thing. Drivers in this damn province can't even handle a simple task of turning a corner slowly. Wait at an intersection and watch how many drivers cut the corner turning left into your road. That corner they are cutting is where the filtering rider would be situated.

Oh, one last thing. Drivers in this damn province can't even handle a simple task of turning a corner slowly. Wait at an intersection and watch how many drivers cut the corner turning left into your road. That corner they are cutting is where the filtering rider would be situated.

Not even close.

I also recommend a GoPro mounted somewhere. I have a chin mounted hero5. I have GoPro footage of biker cops filtering and splitting at random points all over the city over this summer so far. I commute on my bike DT regularly, so I see the biker cops often enough, and they usually pass right by me. If there is a car accident or traffic just stops, I begin to split IF the temps are over 35+, or if a dangerous cage driver is harassing me, which does happen more often than I thought it would, I split/filter. If you ride downtown you will know that traffic can come to a dead stop and stay that way for for a long time. It gets much worse as summer rolls around and we got all the non city residents that don't know what street goes where. I would love if filtering became legal, and I would also love it if splitting became legal.

When I was in Greece last spring, it was nice to see how drivers would move over slightly to allow motorcycles to filter through to the front. Even if the traffic was moving slightly everyone knew where the bikes were and created a larger gap for everyone to move through. Was a great thing to see and the streets were congested there.

I lane split last night along 401 E Collectors from 400 to Bayview because there was construction forever and they closed off the Express 'exits'.

Had one truck honk but plenty of people moved over for me.

When I was in Greece last spring, it was nice to see how drivers would move over slightly to allow motorcycles to filter through to the front. Even if the traffic was moving slightly everyone knew where the bikes were and created a larger gap for everyone to move through. Was a great thing to see and the streets were congested there.

Some of the difference there and much of Europe, is that many more people ride and thus are acquainted to the drivers in some way. And it's been going on longer.

I lane split last night along 401 E Collectors from 400 to Bayview because there was construction forever and they closed off the Express 'exits'.

Had one truck honk but plenty of people moved over for me.

Can echo that; I was doing it on the Gardiner because I forgot it was Indy weekend. Only got one complaint from a guy who I think was either a bit spooked or just unhappy that I was getting through and he was standing still.

Back
Top Bottom