Putting "Sea Foam" Along With Oil In The Engine | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Putting "Sea Foam" Along With Oil In The Engine

I thought this stuff "Sea Foam" was for the fuel system, add it to burn off some carbon, crap etc. But then again doesn't a good run on the highway do the same thing? Anyways, and not for the oil. Adding to the oil seems strange.

yeah
I used to be a boat guy
and we always put that stuff in the gas to clean up how they ran
seems totally bizarre to discuss putting it in 4 stroke engine oil

Okay.... but lets remember that automobile manufacturers state in their manuals never to do engine flushes or other activities that will remove and dislodge gunk and sludge from your lifters/engine because that sludge will then end up in more sensitive parts of the engine and clog up other things. Sludge attached to lifters will stay there for 20 years without clogging anything else.

So I take it that this sea foam in motorcycle engine is a no-no?s

What if it only loosened a hunk of engine snot and it broke away later?

I only use SF on my first tank of gas after winter lay up. Oil changes are done immediately after a ride and the internals of the engine have stirred the pot.

If auto manufacturers didn't want us to stir up the crud inside motors they would specify a non-detergent oil.
They specify detergent oils, VERY detergent oils, that emulsify the crud and carry it to the oil filter.
That is one of motor oil's many jobs.

If you have too much crud, carbon or sludge in your oil; you have a problem, and you should fix the problem, not waste good beer drinking monies on stuff like STP or Seafoam.

It would be interesting to see the results of putting it into the crankcase of an old BMW with a slinger that did the filtering for the motor. BOOM!

Back
Top Bottom