Putting "Sea Foam" Along With Oil In The Engine | GTAMotorcycle.com

Putting "Sea Foam" Along With Oil In The Engine

Pegassus

Site Supporter
I saw a Youtuber do this, what's the purpose? I know you put that along with fuel but not with the oil.

When added to the oil, Sea Foam will clean up sludge, quiet noisy lifters, and remove oil varnish.
Since a can treats 15 litres (16 quarts) of oil, it provides two treatments for most vehicles.
The best method is to add the treatment between 800 and 1600 kilometres before the next oil change,
and then add the rest after you have changed the oil.
That way, the first treatment will get the big amounts of varnish and sludge out, and the second will keep things clean.

thinking my clutch might not like it

Keep the chem-demo out of your bike. Change the oil on schedule, that's all you need to do.

You can use it anywhere you would normally use very expensive petroleum distillate.

... anybody want to buy some really expensive sprocket wax? I can hook you up.

Call one eight hundred mechanic in a can today, operators are standing by to take your money.

We have this wonderful thing now called MSDS, if in doubt what somebody is selling you read the WHMIS Material Safety Data Sheet, there is a wealth of information in there. Seafoam -> Hydrocarbon blend* + Isopropanol ... in english, that's a mix of petroleum distillates and alcohol.
* their particular formulation is a secret but if there was anything reactive in there other than hydrocarbon it would have to be listed individually.

@Trials now I'm just being a prick but when Globally Harmonized System (GHS) was introduced in June 2015 they dropped the "Material" and are now just calling them SDS.
(although most of my literature has not been updated yet)

**as a side note, all but one WHMIS symbol have lost the circle and are now a square on a point, and the names have changed**

Interestingly enough, I always use the SDS to find out about precautionary measures, never thought of using it as a cheat sheet for replacing expensive products with less expensive ones.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

When added to the oil, Sea Foam will clean up sludge, quiet noisy lifters, and remove oil varnish.
Since a can treats 15 litres (16 quarts) of oil, it provides two treatments for most vehicles.
The best method is to add the treatment between 800 and 1600 kilometres before the next oil change,
and then add the rest after you have changed the oil.
That way, the first treatment will get the big amounts of varnish and sludge out, and the second will keep things clean.

thinking my clutch might not like it

Okay.... but lets remember that automobile manufacturers state in their manuals never to do engine flushes or other activities that will remove and dislodge gunk and sludge from your lifters/engine because that sludge will then end up in more sensitive parts of the engine and clog up other things. Sludge attached to lifters will stay there for 20 years without clogging anything else.

So I take it that this sea foam in motorcycle engine is a no-no?s

Last edited:
Okay.... but lets remember that automobile manufacturers state in their manuals never to do engine flushes or other activities that will remove and dislodge gunk and sludge from your lifters/engine because that sludge will then end up in more sensitive parts of the engine and clog up other things. Sludge attached to lifters will stay there for 20 years without clogging anything else.

So I take it that this sea foam in motorcycle engine is a no-no?s

cars don't have a wet clutch

perhaps if you had an ancient bike that had not been maintained
maybe try this once, just prior to an oil change
doing it continuously I can't see being a good idea

cars don't have a wet clutch

perhaps if you had an ancient bike that had not been maintained
maybe try this once, just prior to an oil change
doing it continuously I can't see being a good idea

I don't like putting any oil additives in. If I was really concerned and wanted to clean out a previously abused engine I would probably put in thicker oil and seafoam to clean it out. Change out that crap and go back to normal oil in probably 500 km or less. Thinning out the normal oil (especially on an engine that is sad and/or tired) is not a good plan.

Sometimes I put paint thinner in my motorcycle gas tank :/ well actually it's race fuel but close enough.

Good for carb'd bikes, burns out any carbon built up. Works well as a preventative not really a fix. If your bike is carb'd get them cleaned thoroughly then run half a can of sea foam every other tank, you will notice a difference and your carbs will stay cleaner for a lot longer

Never heard of mixing it with oil

I do use Sea Form occasionally as preventative maintenance as my 16 yo bike has 4 carbs.

I have never seen or heard of sludge in a bike engine so why bother. I wouldn't add this to my oil for a number of reasons. Just change your oil on a regular basis and you should never have any issues.

I do use Sea Form occasionally as preventative maintenance as my 16 yo bike has 4 carbs.

I have never seen or heard of sludge in a bike engine so why bother. I wouldn't add this to my oil for a number of reasons. Just change your oil on a regular basis and you should never have any issues.
Save yourself some money - 10ml/l white naptha is all you need to clean a fuel system.

If you bought a sludgy bike, pour 0.5l of ATF in your crankcase for 500km before the next oil change -- it will clean up the insides.

Kept my antiques running -- they are 49, 42 and 36 years old.

I thought this stuff "Sea Foam" was for the fuel system, add it to burn off some carbon, crap etc. But then again doesn't a good run on the highway do the same thing? Anyways, and not for the oil. Adding to the oil seems strange.

Back
Top Bottom